NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Poonmonsoon182

Poonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud of
Default Getting along with fellow nukes

I'm a nuke depper, and several times in the civilian world I've either had my START guide or Navy shirt with me in public and had Navy vets ask me about it or been having a conversation with a random person who, by chance, is a Navy veteran. Upon telling these people, who all applaud my decision to join the Navy, that I'm in the nuke field, their response is unanimously something along the lines of "holy shit! I would've never guessed you were a nuke, you seem like a totally normal, outgoing and friendly dude." I've had two people cite Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory as a nuke posterboy, and the other nukes I've met in DEP seem pretty weird. Now I'm not passing judgement on these people for being weird, but my recruiter himself said nukes are weird dudes and I'm hoping going through the pipeline and working in the fleet with unusual people won't pose a problem for me. I don't think it will, I generally get along well with all types of people, but I'm just hoping my coworkers in the fleet will be down to go barhopping on Liberty rather than go to museums or something. I'm super stoked to be in the Navy and be a nuke, but does anybody (nuke or otherwise) have anything to chime in on this?

NF 20151221
Poonmonsoon182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
rouhanashi

rouhanashi is on a distinguished road

I'm a nuke depper and I've heard the same things. One of the nukes who came back to my recruiting station told me everyone has a niche; mostly nerdy ones involving video games or anime lol. I don't consider myself a weirdo, I'm just not looking forward to the superiority attitude a lot of nukes have
Graduation Date: 20150904
rouhanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
biruis

biruis is on a distinguished road

No one thinks of themselves being weird.

But Nukes are the hardest job to qualify for, and not many people do. Which makes you clearly different from most people who join the navy.
Nukes also have training far more rigorous academically than every other rate, again making us different.
So yeah, Nukes are weird. But not all nukes fit the "weird" stereotype, like playing dungeons and dragons, and never missing an opportunity to larp fan fiction of Game of Thrones.

As for me, I think I'm a pretty normal future nuke.
I like to play a bit of guitar.
I like to ride bikes.
I currently coach parkour and gymnastics professionally..
I drive a 1978 MGB.
Pretty normal I think, I just happened to score pretty well on my tests!
Old 06-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
shortstuff

shortstuff is on a distinguished road

I personally have no problem being compared to Sheldon. But honestly my recruiter has not said much negative about those in the nuke field. I scored well although I hadn't prepared. Nukes are weird compared to those not in the nuke field, but nukes all have a similar personality that will stop each other from feeling weird.

Ship Date: 20160112
Nuke Field

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.
-Winston Churchill
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Teck3

Teck3 is a glorious beacon of lightTeck3 is a glorious beacon of light

The one Nuke guy in my DEP pool is completely self-absorbed and very obnoxious, but that could be simply because he's still a kid and just graduated high school. The other high school graduates aren't like that, though, so I don't know if it's just a nuke thing or what. He likes to think he's something special because he's going nuke and will be E-3.
Ship - 20151019 (currently at RTC)
Teck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

I was much the same when I was in the DEP pool haha people were like "whoa wait...you're a what now??" Some thought I even meant they'd implanted a nuke inside of me...who's weird now? Haha But no...there are quite a few really freaking weird people here in Goose Creek (which by association I'm going to assume there's some nutjobs in the fleet), but for the most part Nukes are just as normally insane as any other Sailor out there. To be frank...the weirdest I've come across are actually officers...
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Poonmonsoon182

Poonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud of

shortstuff

Dude I'm with you, if people compared me to Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory I'd probably think it was pretty cool, I hope nobody inferred that I felt being like Sheldon was a bad thing.

Teck3
Though I haven't noticed it more with nukes than non nukes in my DEP pool, I have noticed that they almost all are recent (less than six weeks) HS graduates, and are on the more immature side of the spectrum in my opinion. I think that may be in large part due to the fact that it's June, however. But, props to them for having the courage to make a life changing decision like joining the military right out of, or in some cases while still in, High School. I'm very glad and proud that I've joined the Navy, but I think I'm equally glad that I didn't do so right out of school, and went several years working in different fields and trying college before I decided the military was right for me.

NF 20151221
Old 06-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
biruis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teck3 View Post
The one Nuke guy in my DEP pool is completely self-absorbed and very obnoxious, but that could be simply because he's still a kid and just graduated high school. The other high school graduates aren't like that, though, so I don't know if it's just a nuke thing or what. He likes to think he's something special because he's going nuke and will be E-3.
To be fair he must have done something well to get nuke, and humbleness isn't required.
If he's real rude, just call him out on it. I'm sure everyone else thinks the same as you.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #9
Poonmonsoon182

I disagree, nobody is special in the military, and just because someone is in DEP as a nuke doesn't mean humility isn't required or you can be a dick. NUC or BM, we're all in the same boat.

NF 20151221

Last edited by Poonmonsoon182; 06-25-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:43 AM   #10
Teck3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biruis View Post
To be fair he must have done something well to get nuke, and humbleness isn't required.
If he's real rude, just call him out on it. I'm sure everyone else thinks the same as you.
He tested well - that's about it. He's too young to really have any big issues for a security clearance and he's willing to go into arguably the military's toughest pipeline school. That doesn't make him better than any other [future] sailor, nor does it grant him a pass to act as such.

The best word I can use to describe him is that he's arrogant, which I suppose comes with the territory of his being 18 years old. Even with him starting as an E-3, I'll outrank him in a year anyway and, come my ship date, will very likely never see him again.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

E-3s and below are all called e-nothing's. All an e-3 gets is a little extra pay a month. I hope he goes to boot with the same attitude because it will be shot down quickly by his RDCs. And if it doesn't happen, he's going to get to a school where everyone has the same rate and he's going to get a reality shock that he isn't special.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
biruis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teck3 View Post
Even with him starting as an E-3, I'll outrank him in a year anyway and, come my ship date, will very likely never see him again.
I'm not sure what rate you have, but not many rates advance as fast a nukes.
This past cycle ETN grp 1's made E-6 100%, MMN grp 1's made E-6 at 86% and EMN's grp 1 made E-6 at 80%
Nukes also Enter as E-3, and get push-button E-4 after A-school.
So unless he ships far later than you, without me knowing your rate, I'm guessing you won't "outrank him in a year". Also remember, regularly, there are time requirements for making rank. 9 months for e-2 and e-3, 6 months for e-4 and a year for e-5.

But, I suppose you are right when you said you'll likely never see him again.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Poonmonsoon182

This past cycle ETN grp 1's made E-6 100%, MMN grp 1's made E-6 at 86% and EMN's grp 1 made E-6 at 80%

What comprises a group, surely not all ETN E-5s made E-6? And what duration constitutes a cycle?

NF 20151221
Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

A cycle is 6 months (spring and fall). Here are the group breakdowns:

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:21 AM   #15
Teck3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biruis View Post
I'm not sure what rate you have, but not many rates advance as fast a nukes.
Nukes also Enter as E-3, and get push-button E-4 after A-school.
So unless he ships far later than you, without me knowing your rate, I'm guessing you won't "outrank him in a year". Also remember, regularly, there are time requirements for making rank. 9 months for e-2 and e-3, 6 months for e-4 and a year for e-5.

But, I suppose you are right when you said you'll likely never see him again.
I'll be getting push-button E-4 after "A" School if I have time in rate, and I'm pushing for E-3 through referrals. If I don't snag 'em, I'll still be getting E-2 at the end of boot (cutting 7 months off the promotion never hurts).
Old 06-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Nukes, an interesting group of sailors...yes they can be a bit different than many other sailors...my son went nuke, (he is civilian now) and was actually a jock! He totally didn't fit in with the stereo type of a nuke...he was a jock all through school, (football, basketball, soccer and track) AND in all the AP classes...so a smart jock. He found his nitch, but also found he was put in the place of being in charge of making all the others do PT. As far as going out to "party" when you pull into some port somewhere, yup...many do and get totally hammered! He was on a carrier and never really made friends outside the nuke department...to this day he still is a "smart jock" he does all sorts of sports and now is in charge of 3 power plants, 2 in Texas and 1 in New Mexico for Xcel Energy....he too went in right out of high school at age 18.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #17
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

The people here aren't too bad.. As long as you go outside.. the real crazy ones stay in their rooms and play card games, video games, role playing games, or any other game that allows them to be social in a very small tight group.

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #18
Poonmonsoon182

That sounds fairly normal then, in my experience it's like that everywhere.

NF 20151221
Old 08-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #19
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonmonsoon182 View Post
That sounds fairly normal then, in my experience it's like that everywhere.
It's normal. But there are a higher concentration of the extremes here. And that breeds the influenceable younger nukes to join in and over compensate.. It's just all how you look at it.

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #20
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

Nukes are generally strange. I should have been one.

My boot division had one "normal" nuke recruit who was really concerned about the type of people he was going to be associating with for the next six years.

For what it's worth, the kids hiding in their barracks room playing WoW know how to stay out of trouble better than the bar-hopping crowd (worked great for me!).

Visit the "Navy Deppers" facebook group!
Squid350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #21
JayMaple

JayMaple is on a distinguished road

The people in Rhode island is weird i meet about 5 people at my dep meeting that turned down nuke. down south in Georgia people aimed for nuke. oh well each to there own.
JayMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #22
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMaple View Post
The people in Rhode island is weird i meet about 5 people at my dep meeting that turned down nuke. down south in Georgia people aimed for nuke. oh well each to there own.
I mean not everyone wants to be an engineer. I probably could have qualified had I taken the test, but I would have zero interest in doing that job personally. On the other hand I know guys that have been doing it for a decade and love the shit out of it. Just because you don't want to go Nuke doesn't mean anything negative; do people look differently at you because you're not trying to go SEAL? lol

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #23
shortstuff

shortstuff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
The people here aren't too bad.. As long as you go outside.. the real crazy ones stay in their rooms and play card games, video games, role playing games, or any other game that allows them to be social in a very small tight group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid350 View Post
For what it's worth, the kids hiding in their barracks room playing WoW know how to stay out of trouble better than the bar-hopping crowd (worked great for me!).
I am one of these kids. Throughout High School I didn't have much of a social life and that allowed me to stay out of trouble.

Ship Date: 20160112
Nuke Field

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.
-Winston Churchill
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #24
ScarletRose

ScarletRose is on a distinguished road

Also a future Nuke here, and I can confirm I'm definitely down for some barhopping, going to concerts, kayaking around base and stuff. Not going to lie, I'm also completely into gaming and used to really be into anime and manga, so if there's a convention nearby I'll probably be hitting that up too, and I probably will also check out the museums and read up on the local history. :p
ScarletRose is offline   Reply With Quote