NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
FutureSailor97

FutureSailor97 is on a distinguished road
Default HM-8401- Search and rescue

I know i post a few questions but this im curious about. I go to a career school rather than high school and im taking health technology ( nurse aide/ Patient care tech) and i always wanted to be a corpsman. Now dont get me wrong going fmf would be cool but id like to know more about SAR. Is it like air ambulance or what and how do i get in? Thanks.
FutureSailor97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Is a career school similar to a vocational or technical school?

Hassino probably knows more about this because he's the air crew guru but I'll give it a shot. Airborne emt appears to be a fair assessment, as for getting into the program after nearly an hour of googling I can't find anything. It's still on the BUPERS list as an available NEC so I don't think that it's been abolished as some forums would lead me to believe, but I can't say for sure. If it is an option and has open billets when you finish a school, the beginning of the pipeline will be on the list of orders your class gets to pick from. Otherwise, it could be similar to the SARC program where you get a brief and then talk to Chief Select Pell(that's who runs the SARC program at Fort Sam right now) afterwards about joining the pipeline. I'd recommend the Navy Deppers fb group of you want more information as there's at least two HMs that are fairly active.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I went through SERE with a SAR Corpsman who got orders out of HM School. From what he said, it sounds like the process is similar to what BloodyPhoenix described... you'll get a brief on the programs, and those interested would do special PT/PST type workouts with the group... if they liked you, you would e offered a spot. In addition to the medical training, you'll have to go through Naval Aircrew Candidate School and SERE.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
JSlattery

JSlattery will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailor97 View Post
I know i post a few questions but this im curious about. I go to a career school rather than high school and im taking health technology ( nurse aide/ Patient care tech) and i always wanted to be a corpsman. Now dont get me wrong going fmf would be cool but id like to know more about SAR. Is it like air ambulance or what and how do i get in? Thanks.
If you have any questions on Patient Care Techs, shoot me a message as I currently am one.

DEP: 20140827
Ship: 20150324
JSlattery is offline   Reply With Quote