NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
NewAdventures

NewAdventures is on a distinguished road
Default Privacy at Basic?

Ive heard that at basic girls have to shower right next to each other in only three minutes? Is that true?? They also said that there are no stalls in the girls bathrooms! This has really been freaking me out, I like my privacy in the "head"!!! haha
NewAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

The bathrooms are designed the same way for both male and female divisions... one push might have a male division in a compartment, and the next push might be female. The showers are open-bay, two circular towers with ~6-8 shower heads on each one... a division of 90 recruits will have 45min to "hygiene". This includes everyone showered, dressed, and the compartment and bathroom clean and dry. How that's accomplished is somewhat up to the recruit leadership, but generally it breaks down to about 5min max in the bathroom... that's undressing, showering, drying, and redressing... then you help clean the compartment while the other groups rotate through. In my division, this usually meant one person under the water, while another stood behind and scrubbed themselves... then rotate.

There are stalls in the bathrooms... there will also be empty space occupied by urinals... as I said, it's a unisex compartment. The stalls have walls on each side, and a curtain in place of a door. While you're not prohibited from using the curtain for a bit of privacy, they do have to be cleaned after each use... in my division, we were instructed not to use them and leave them rolled up and hung to the side. It'll be weird and uncomfortable at first, but you will get used to it. I read ahead in my study guide so I could skip the classroom lessons and use the locking stall in the bathroom upstairs... but after a week or so, you just get comfortable enough that you stop caring.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Your privacy at boot extends no further than the insides of your eyelids. I hope you're exaggerating when you say you're "freaking out", because showering with a lot of company isn't something you're going to be able to avoid. But as Haasino says, you're also not going to be overburdened with the time required to give a damn, and neither will anyone else.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

My compartment had a faucet that didn't produce hot water... being used to swimming off Northern California beaches, I took the polar bear shower and got the entire thing to myself...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

My division got so comfortable that we started singing cadences at one point and talking to eachother about almost everything whole hygiening.
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
bsilk89

bsilk89 is on a distinguished road

Haasino's post hit it right on the head.
bsilk89 is offline   Reply With Quote