NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Kmf9182

Kmf9182 is on a distinguished road
Default Tips and Tricks

Just was wondering if anyone had any kind of tips for the overall bootcamp experience. Even little bits of info that might get you through the little things. For example I've heard it's good to wear two pairs of socks when you get your new boots to avoid blisters.
Kmf9182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I'd concur with the 2 socks advice... best thing to do is wear a pair of your white socks underneath your black boot socks, that was advice given by a 1st Class Corpsman at medical and helped prevent athlete's foot, in addition to blister prevention. Most of us also stopped wearing the cotton underwear after about week 2... you're always going to be wearing your PT shorts under your NWU trousers... even in winter, that gets hot. This type of thing should never be attempted until you get a feel for your RDC's and how much you can get away with.

Knowing your START guide can also have benefits beyond getting advanced from E-1 to E-2, and having less stress from studying... you spend a lot of time in classrooms upstairs learning what you could already know by studying your guide or reading ahead in your Trainee Guide. There were several lectures I already knew the material for, so I was able to use that time to go to the bathroom and enjoy taking a relaxed dump in a stall with a locking door. This may seem weird now, but when you get there and are given 5 minutes to "pump & dump" in a stall with only a curtain (Which you're usually not allowed to close), taking a "Hollywood sh*t" can be a luxury.

Beyond that, just pay attention to instructions and do exactly as your told, in the order that you're told... don't skip ahead of your RDC's instructions. You'd be amazed how much one-on-one contact you can avoid by just doing that... I never got singled out for IT during basic.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
gameingkine
**Active Duty**

gameingkine is on a distinguished road

put all paper and notebooks UNDER your ab drawer
Parade gloss, cotton balls and hot water for a great bootshine
gameingkine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Admin note:
This thread is ok as long as you aren't offering tips to bend or get around RTC rules. If that happens this thread will be closed.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameingkine View Post
put all paper and notebooks UNDER your ab drawer
Parade gloss, cotton balls and hot water for a great bootshine
^ Yes! Remove your A&B Drawer and look at how much space is underneath... I kept all my letters and extra recruit notebooks under there. Parade gloss and cotton balls may not be allowed... depends on your RDC. Mine didn't allow Q-Tips either.

Also, don't fear medical if you have blisters, athlete's foot, or cracked/dry skin... they hand out blister kits and foot ointment like candy and you're not going to get ASMOD'd for simple, legitimate medicals issues like that. If you arrive at medical before the issue gets serious, and you tell them you want to remain Fit for Full Duty, they aren't going to treat you like a malingerer.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Admin note:
This thread is ok as long as you aren't offering tips to bend or get around RTC rules. If that happens this thread will be closed.
BOOOOOOOOOO ! Officers already ruining the fun.

Haha Jk Guppy.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post

BOOOOOOOOOO ! Officers already ruining the fun.

Haha Jk Guppy.
Think of it as a friendly reminder so I don't have to ruin any fun

That being said....

-Take a permanent marker and number the tags on your NWUs, so that you can always wash the same blouse and pants together so that they fade at the same rate. (do this after you graduate so you don't risk getting a hit in an inspection)

-Buy insoles for your boots

-Instead of using one blousing strap per leg, tie two together in an x. It's more secure and won't come undone. (again, do this after you graduate)

Old 05-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

When you're right you're wrong so accept that. If they don't tell you to go ahead and do something don't do it. Start working as a team as soon as possible. Pay attention to detail, that's what half of bootcamp is about. DO NOT THINK BOOTCAMP IS A DATING SERVICE. So many people get asmo'd for that. Hmm that's all I can think of for now. Oh plus do not talk anywhere besides your compartment when allowed...
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
etorres313

etorres313 is on a distinguished road

When it comes to shaving if you are one of those people who instantly grows hair within a day of shaving, how does that work in terms of the keeping up with it. I have sensitive skin when it comes to my face at least and not sure my face could tolerate shaving everyday. What happens then
etorres313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by etorres313 View Post
When it comes to shaving if you are one of those people who instantly grows hair within a day of shaving, how does that work in terms of the keeping up with it. I have sensitive skin when it comes to my face at least and not sure my face could tolerate shaving everyday. What happens then
That will ultimately depend on your RDC's... I sport a 5 o'clock shadow by 10am, but it's obvious I shaved that morning, so I never had an issue with my RDC's.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
etorres313

Would it more or less be the same situation beyond boot also. Right now i sport a mountain man beard just because of the the fact i hate shaving and the irritation that comes along with it unfortunately. But i do understand i wont have much choice
Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, after RTC, you will still be expected to keep a clean shave any time you're in uniform. Best start getting used to it now. If you're not in the habit, you might want to start brushing up on your technique so you can knock it out quickly and completely at boot. Also, while you're there, your RDCs may well insist that you shave a second time immediately before a major inspection.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by etorres313 View Post
Would it more or less be the same situation beyond boot also. Right now i sport a mountain man beard just because of the the fact i hate shaving and the irritation that comes along with it unfortunately. But i do understand i wont have much choice
Invest in a good electric razor... I've had a Braun Series 7 for about 4 years now, and I can shave with it multiple times a day if needed without irritation. Generally, I'll only shave once in the morning and be fine... but if you work a full day and then have watch, you'll probably need to shave again. My record was 4 times in one day in Aircrew Candidate School... but that was because it was candidate school and they demanded perfection. You can generally tell the difference between someone with a 5 o'clock shadow, and someone who just didn't feel like shaving that morning...

Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
etorres313

Thanks practice makes perfect.....the electric shaver would I be allowed to have that upon graduating boot while im in job training correct. Assuming it wouldn't be any issue when out to sea
Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
MWOLF

MWOLF is on a distinguished road

I remember seeing in a YouTube video one of the men that went through boot camp said, "If they offer Zero Calorie Coke--never take it. Only drink water." I'm not sure the reason behind it (oh, how my mind wanders), but the man seemed pretty serious about it.
MWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #16
mchusn14

mchusn14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWOLF View Post
I remember seeing in a YouTube video one of the men that went through boot camp said, "If they offer Zero Calorie Coke--never take it. Only drink water." I'm not sure the reason behind it (oh, how my mind wanders), but the man seemed pretty serious about it.
I would think that the reasoning could be that it would effect your physical performance. I remember playing high school volleyball and everyday for workouts our coach would scream at us and tell us to never drink anything but water. One team member got caught with a diet coke in hand and had what you would call personal IT in boot camp. lol.
mchusn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #17
LT Guppy

Quote:
Depending on your RDCs you may or may not be allowed to have sugary drinks/sodas/caffeinated drinks. They will be there, but if you're not authorized to have it, don't test your luck.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Depending on your RDCs you may or may not be allowed to have sugary drinks/sodas/caffeinated drinks. They will be there, but if you're not authorized to have it, don't test your luck.
The same thing went for the dessert cart that goes around... my RDCs allowed it, but they also watched what recruits were eating before the first PFA and made sure to point that out to those who failed.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #19
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
That will ultimately depend on your RDC's... I sport a 5 o'clock shadow by 10am, but it's obvious I shaved that morning, so I never had an issue with my RDC's.
I can pretty much shave once a week and never even notice, get picked on a lot for not being able to grow any real facial hair, but it will be great in the Navy to not have to worry about it 24/7.

I'll just sit back and watch everyone else shave twice a day.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #20
waterdevil43

waterdevil43 is on a distinguished road
Default ^ Im the same way!

Don't grow much facial hair so iIm good!
waterdevil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #21
Haasino
**Active Duty**

I hate you both! You're like my buddy... when we came down off the mountain at the end of SERE training, I looked like a lumberjack and he looked like I do by 11am on a regular workday!