NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
JEndicott

JEndicott is on a distinguished road
Talking Sunday Schedules

Just curious....what takes place during boot camp on Sundays....after holiday time ends/ Classes? Drills? Appreciate any info!!!!
Jeff
JEndicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
AyeeYoAP

AyeeYoAP is on a distinguished road

I was in bootcamp from December 2012-February 2013.

Holiday routine was from 0700 (or 0800 I can't remember lol) - 1300. During this time recruits are allowed to shine boots, write letters, take "hollywood showers", etc. They also have a WIDE variety of church services you can go to on Sundays.

Afterwords, you field day for about an hour. Might do some marching practice. No PT. There really isn't too much that goes on on Sundays. Saturdays and Sundays are also NON-training days.
AyeeYoAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Soon to be ABE

Soon to be ABE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeeYoAP View Post
I was in bootcamp from December 2012-February 2013.

Holiday routine was from 0700 (or 0800 I can't remember lol) - 1300. During this time recruits are allowed to shine boots, write letters, take "hollywood showers", etc. They also have a WIDE variety of church services you can go to on Sundays.

Afterwords, you field day for about an hour. Might do some marching practice. No PT. There really isn't too much that goes on on Sundays. Saturdays and Sundays are also NON-training days.
IDK what kind of world you are living in but you definately PT on saturdays and Sundays. Once liberty ends at 1300 on sunday it is up the the RDC descresion on what he wants to do. I remember some sundays PTing for hours after holiday routine and when it got closer to graduation i remember doing drill practice for hours for the final drill inspection
Soon to be ABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be ABE View Post
IDK what kind of world you are living in but you definately PT on saturdays and Sundays. Once liberty ends at 1300 on sunday it is up the the RDC descresion on what he wants to do. I remember some sundays PTing for hours after holiday routine and when it got closer to graduation i remember doing drill practice for hours for the final drill inspection
Excuse you, but I'm just going off of MY experience at bootcamp. I'M not YOU, so I'm sorry that we weren't living in the same world or whatever you wanna call it and didn't have similar bootcamp experiences, but I answered the question based on what I as an INDIVIDUAL went through, but let me clarify this dream world that I'm living in for the OP:

When I said No PT on Sundays, I meant no ORGANIZED PT as in, Freedom Hall or actual, on the POD, In-House PT. I didn't say anything about PTing on Saturdays. The OP asked about SUNDAYS. So I responded keeping in mind that the OP was talking about SUNDAYS.

On OUR POD at bootcamp, field day happened as soon as we secured from holiday routine.

When I said that there isn't too much that goes on on weekends, I meant that it was more freelance for the RDCs to do whatever.

If you're lucky, like myself OBVIOUSLY, you may find yourself in a division that didn't get beat all the time like a lot of other divisions.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
FinnTheHuman

FinnTheHuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Excuse you, but I'm just going off of MY experience at bootcamp. I'M not YOU, so I'm sorry that we weren't living in the same world or whatever you wanna call it and didn't have similar bootcamp experiences, but I answered the question based on what I as an INDIVIDUAL went through, but let me clarify this dream world that I'm living in for the OP:

When I said No PT on Sundays, I meant no ORGANIZED PT as in, Freedom Hall or actual, on the POD, In-House PT. I didn't say anything about PTing on Saturdays. The OP asked about SUNDAYS. So I responded keeping in mind that the OP was talking about SUNDAYS.

On OUR POD at bootcamp, field day happened as soon as we secured from holiday routine.

When I said that there isn't too much that goes on on weekends, I meant that it was more freelance for the RDCs to do whatever.

If you're lucky, like myself OBVIOUSLY, you may find yourself in a division that didn't get beat all the time like a lot of other divisions.
*slowclap*
FinnTheHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
gregmosu

gregmosu is on a distinguished road

Quote:

How often did you get 'Beat' per day and per week? Not just on Sundays, but during any regular week?
gregmosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmosu View Post
How often did you get 'Beat' per day and per week? Not just on Sundays, but during any regular week?
You can get beat ANYtime.

My division... we only got divisional IT (beat) ONCE. My RDCs usually dropped us individually or just dropped our division leaders.

Sometimes we got dropped in groups. Mostly during WTI lol

But me as a person, I was dropped once individually for talking while I was on watch about dolphins... IDK lol

Compared to other divisions, my division and brother div's NEVER got beat... which is kinda true. Especially compared to other people's experiences. In the 2 months I spent at bootcamp, I can count on 2 hands how many times I got beat and the beatings were usually less than 5 minutes -_-
Old 10-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
gregmosu

Quote:
You can get beat ANYtime.

My division... we only got divisional IT (beat) ONCE. My RDCs usually dropped us individually or just dropped our division leaders.

Sometimes we got dropped in groups. Mostly during WTI lol

But me as a person, I was dropped once individually for talking while I was on watch about dolphins... IDK lol

Compared to other divisions, my division and brother div's NEVER got beat... which is kinda true. Especially compared to other people's experiences. In the 2 months I spent at bootcamp, I can count on 2 hands how many times I got beat and the beatings were usually less than 5 minutes -_-
Really!?!? I was under the impression(from things I've read on the internet) that you could expect to get beat 2 or 3 times a day and it might be as long as 45 minutes. My whole concern w/joining the Navy was how much IT we did in addition to PT. I was just worried that if I joined, how I was going to make it if I had to do mountain climbers, 8-count bodybuilders & jumping jacks for an additional 2 or 3 hours a day.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Really!?!? I was under the impression(from things I've read on the internet) that you could expect to get beat 2 or 3 times a day and it might be as long as 45 minutes. My whole concern w/joining the Navy was how much IT we did in addition to PT. I was just worried that if I joined, how I was going to make it if I had to do mountain climbers, 8-count bodybuilders & jumping jacks for an additional 2 or 3 hours a day.
How much you get beat depends on the RDCs. It all up to them. This is just based on my bootcamp experience. Most people I talk to, their division got beat way more than mine did.

You shouldn't worry anyway though. If you're already in some type of shape, regular PT is a walk in the park to be honest with you.

Bootcamp isn't as intense as you think it is. Besides your live fire, firefighting, etc., all it is is... A lot of folding. A lot of cleaning. Some academic classes. Drill practice. 1 hour of organized PT. Chow. Sleep. And the occasional IT session (again depending on your RDCs).

Super easy.

And they stopped doing 8-counts a little before I got to bootcamp. When I went they were doing 10-counts.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
gregmosu

Quote:
How much you get beat depends on the RDCs. It all up to them. This is just based on my bootcamp experience. Most people I talk to, their division got beat way more than mine did.

You shouldn't worry anyway though. If you're already in some type of shape, regular PT is a walk in the park to be honest with you.

Bootcamp isn't as intense as you think it is. Besides your live fire, firefighting, etc., all it is is... A lot of folding. A lot of cleaning. Some academic classes. Drill practice. 1 hour of organized PT. Chow. Sleep. And the occasional IT session (again depending on your RDCs).

Super easy.

And they stopped doing 8-counts a little before I got to bootcamp. When I went they were doing 10-counts.
Well, I have occasional knee pain from an old injury and a little tightness and swelling.. but it really hasn't stopped me from doing any of the exercises they might have you do at boot camp. Based on what you're saying, I'm pushing myself WAY harder to get in shape then I probably need to... although I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm sure the better the shape you're in when you go the better off you'll be.

By the way, the 10 counts just add an extra push up, right? How many of them do they have you do?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Well, I have occasional knee pain from an old injury and a little tightness and swelling.. but it really hasn't stopped me from doing any of the exercises they might have you do at boot camp. Based on what you're saying, I'm pushing myself WAY harder to get in shape then I probably need to... although I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm sure the better the shape you're in when you go the better off you'll be.

By the way, the 10 counts just add an extra push up, right? How many of them do they have you do?
I understand exactly what you mean. I tore my ACL when I was 15 and it still hurts sometimes. Nothing to serious, but it doesn't bend all the way, so that kinda sucks! I was worried about it when I went to bootcamp, but when you get there you'll see its not a big deal at all. You'll be just fine

PT in bootcamp... if you can work yourself up to a 20 minute sustained run, you'll be okay!

10 counts (start standing up):
1. Get down on your hands.
2. Jump back into the push up position.
3. Jump to the left.
4. Center (pushup position)
5. Jump to the right.
6. Center
7 & 8. Push up. Down is 7. Up is 8.
9. Jump back in.
10. Stand up.

We usually did like 20 of these. If you've done Insanity, think Ski Abs mixed with a regular Burpee.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
gregmosu

Quote:
I understand exactly what you mean. I tore my ACL when I was 15 and it still hurts sometimes. Nothing to serious, but it doesn't bend all the way, so that kinda sucks! I was worried about it when I went to bootcamp, but when you get there you'll see its not a big deal at all. You'll be just fine

PT in bootcamp... if you can work yourself up to a 20 minute sustained run, you'll be okay!

10 counts (start standing up):
1. Get down on your hands.
2. Jump back into the push up position.
3. Jump to the left.
4. Center (pushup position)
5. Jump to the right.
6. Center
7 & 8. Push up. Down is 7. Up is 8.
9. Jump back in.
10. Stand up.

We usually did like 20 of these. If you've done Insanity, think Ski Abs mixed with a regular Burpee.
Thanks! That helps to know it won't be as bad as I'm making it out to be. I tore my PCL, ACL and MCL some odd years back and it still swells a little when I work it really hard. But it's never to the point where I can't run and still do these exercises... I just need to warm it up a bit first some times. To stress test my self I've been ITing myself twice a day for about an hour. Doing enough to get a REALLY good sweat going.

Right now I'm jogging a two mile track around the neighborhood. I don't think it takes me 20 min to do it thought. I may need to increase the distance.. but I am doing it every day.

This may be a dumb question, but what happens if they tell you do 40 push ups and you can only do 30.. or they tell you to hold something for a minute and you can't do it... you fatigue out. Do they really get on you hard for stuff like that? I just don't wanna go there and be the guy that can't do everything they tell you when everyone else can.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

At ocs (not sure if it's the same at ROTC), they're limited to 10 minutes per hour. That 10 minutes can be in addition to regular PT, and can be broken up into shorter sessions. With my class, the rarely did the full 10 minutes, more often it was short and intense.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified

Last edited by LT Guppy; 10-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

They're really good at knowing when you have legitimately maxed out and when you are giving up on yourself.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Thanks! That helps to know it won't be as bad as I'm making it out to be. I tore my PCL, ACL and MCL some odd years back and it still swells a little when I work it really hard. But it's never to the point where I can't run and still do these exercises... I just need to warm it up a bit first some times. To stress test my self I've been ITing myself twice a day for about an hour. Doing enough to get a REALLY good sweat going.

Right now I'm jogging a two mile track around the neighborhood. I don't think it takes me 20 min to do it thought. I may need to increase the distance.. but I am doing it every day.

This may be a dumb question, but what happens if they tell you do 40 push ups and you can only do 30.. or they tell you to hold something for a minute and you can't do it... you fatigue out. Do they really get on you hard for stuff like that? I just don't wanna go there and be the guy that can't do everything they tell you when everyone else can.
Oh yeah... like air chairs (which I LOVE) which is basically like a sustained squat. Our RDCs would make us hold it for 90 seconds. A lot of people fatigue out, but they always made us start over. One time we got in trouble and our RDCs made us hold our arms out with our trainee guides for a couple minutes. Sometimes they would just drop us in the pushup position and just leave us there.

No, not really. They know people get tired. Bootcamp is a mind game. You **** up sometimes. Whats the worst that can happen? Getting dropped or getting yelled at. If you get tired while they drop you, once again, whats the worst that can happen? Get dropped and yelled at some more?

Believe it or not, your RDCs wanna see you succeed. They won't let you fall behind unless they see you're not really trying. I promise you, you won't be in a situation where everyone can succeed physically while you can't. Even the strongest people have a breaking point. Trust me, all you will hurt together lol

The people that don't succeed physically are the ones that quit during the sustained runs, or cheat during in-house PT when your RDC has their back turned.

Don't overthink it. I did a butt ton of research on bootcamp before I went. I got there and was like ... "oh... so... THIS is it?!" Super easy!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
At ocs (not sure if it's the same at ROTC), they're limited to 19 minutes per hour. That 10 minutes can be in addition to regular PT, and can be broken up into shorter sessions. With my class, the rarely did the full 10 minutes, more often it was short and intense.
You are referring to getting IT'd, right? It didn't last for more than 19 minutes in a given hour? Is this something they have to do?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
gregmosu

Quote:
Oh yeah... like air chairs (which I LOVE) which is basically like a sustained squat. Our RDCs would make us hold it for 90 seconds. A lot of people fatigue out, but they always made us start over. One time we got in trouble and our RDCs made us hold our arms out with our trainee guides for a couple minutes. Sometimes they would just drop us in the pushup position and just leave us there.

No, not really. They know people get tired. Bootcamp is a mind game. You **** up sometimes. Whats the worst that can happen? Getting dropped or getting yelled at. If you get tired while they drop you, once again, whats the worst that can happen? Get dropped and yelled at some more?

Believe it or not, your RDCs wanna see you succeed. They won't let you fall behind unless they see you're not really trying. I promise you, you won't be in a situation where everyone can succeed physically while you can't. Even the strongest people have a breaking point. Trust me, all you will hurt together lol

The people that don't succeed physically are the ones that quit during the sustained runs, or cheat during in-house PT when your RDC has their back turned.

Don't overthink it. I did a butt ton of research on bootcamp before I went. I got there and was like ... "oh... so... THIS is it?!" Super easy!
I do tend to overthink things. I just don't like going into anything unprepared. This is typical for me... I research the hell out of something before I commit.

I just wanna make sure I can physically handle boot camp before I head there and make a fool out of myself.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
LT Guppy

Yeah, IT was limited to 10 minutes per hour.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
AyeeYoAP

Yeah me too! I prefer to know what I'm getting myself into as well. I'm sure you'll be fine though! Especially since you're PTing like you are. As long as you're careful not to overwork yourself when you PT, bootcamp will be a breeze for you!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
gregmosu

Quote:
Yeah me too! I prefer to know what I'm getting myself into as well. I'm sure you'll be fine though! Especially since you're PTing like you are. As long as you're careful not to overwork yourself when you PT, bootcamp will be a breeze for you!
I did set myself back w/too much at once.. 2 intense workouts + a two mile run have my knee a little swelled and angry at the moment.

Here's my workouts which seem to be a little too much lately:
Squats (3 sets of 20 w/45 lb bar)
Walking Lunges (3 Sets - 10 each leg)
Calf raises (3 sets of 50)
4-count jumping jacks (3 sets of 20)
Crunches (Regular + Revers w/leg raise hold for 30 sec. at the end of each)
Flutter kicks(3 sets of 20 count)
Planks (3 sets w/a 1 minute hold)
Supermans(3 sets w/a 1 min. hold)
Push ups(3 sets of 20)
8 count bodybuilders (2 sets of 15)
Mountain climbers (2 sets of 20)

So this is way more than what I'll face in PT or getting ITd? Because doing this twice a day has both of my knees hurting. The rest of my body seems ok with it. I guess I just need to know I won't be doing this much on a daily basis.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Yeah, IT was limited to 10 minutes per hour.
With rest like that in between, I think I'd be ok. It's the workouts that are intense and last over an hour that are getting me.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Im still having trouble getting my mile and a half down to 14 (I used to smoke) mostly because my lungs won't let me... any advice?
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #23
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparker181 View Post
Im still having trouble getting my mile and a half down to 14 (I used to smoke) mostly because my lungs won't let me... any advice?
How long have you been running? I don't smoke and it still took a long time just to get to where I can jog 2 miles w/out sucking air towards the end. I started out pushing myself very hard on the eliptical machine at the gym... then moved onto running. I'd walk a lap then run a lap. But run it at a pace you can't sustain for very long. Increase the running portion of this gradually until you build up endurance. If you keep pushing yourself a little more each day it'll come around for you.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

My coach said he would tell the people that thought they couldn't run a few sustained miles (usually the sprinters) that you can't run slow enough doing long distance lol. I had never really run more than a mile before my first year of doing track last year (at first I was a sprinter but moved over to long distance after I enlisted) and I did my first 3 miles in 25 minutes barely sucking air at the end (I was running with my track coach because I was new)--it was hard during the actual course, running uphill and what not but at the end I thought I could have run another mile or two.

I guess what I'm trying to say is try running slow(er) at first and working your way up.

A 7 mph pace is a good pace to run (8:34/mile).
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #25
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparker181 View Post
Breathe through your nose and take occasional deep breaths through your mouth. What helps me A LOT when I run and can't listen to music, I like... let my mind wander. Kinda like... having a conversation with yourself in your head. Sounds crazy but I do it and its over before I know it.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

We once had divisional IT for 6 hours after Holiday routine on Sunday. It was brutal. But only happened like that once.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote