NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default Ribbons and Medals in boot camp ~

The only ribbons or medals that a recruit can get while in boot camp is the National Defense Service Medal & the Pistol Marksman.

The National Defense Service Medal is what sailors call a "geedunk" medal since you don't earn it, it is just given to you because you served honorably during a designated time period of which a "national emergency" had been declared. Everyone gets it.

The other one they you can earn while in boot camp is the Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon. There are 3 levels:

Marksman:

Sharpshooter:

Expert:

c. Summary Table – Navy Handgun Qualification Course

Yard = 3
Rounds = 12
Sequence =
Draw and fire two rounds/4 seconds
Draw and fire two rounds, reload six rounds and fire two rounds/10 seconds
Draw and fire four rounds/8 seconds

Yard = 7
Rounds = 12
Sequence =
Draw and fire two rounds, reload six rounds and fire two rounds/10 seconds

Yard = 15
Rounds = 24
Sequence =
Draw and fire four rounds, reload 12 rounds and fire four rounds/20 seconds
Draw and fire eight rounds/20 seconds.

Marksmanship awards, qualification, and record entries shall be based on the following:
Possible Score = 240
Expert = 228 - 240
Sharpshooter = 204 – 227
Marksman = 180 - 203
Minimum Qualifying Score = 180
Unqualified = Less than 180

This is straight out of the OPNAV Instruction 3591.1f
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/...es/3591.1F.pdf

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

Good to know! Thanks Craig. I have been wanting to know what the qualifications were for marksmanship medal. Thank you
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
danica81

danica81 is on a distinguished road
Default What if you miss the Marksmanship qualification?

Hi all! My husband is currently in boot camp and I just got a letter today that said he was going to miss the live fire portion of the marksmanship qualification because he had a doctor's appointment (this would have been last Tuesday). If he misses the live fire, does he get a chance to make that up? I know he was really looking forward to earning a medal but I'm worried now he missed his chance.
danica81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danica81 View Post
Hi all! My husband is currently in boot camp and I just got a letter today that said he was going to miss the live fire portion of the marksmanship qualification because he had a doctor's appointment (this would have been last Tuesday). If he misses the live fire, does he get a chance to make that up? I know he was really looking forward to earning a medal but I'm worried now he missed his chance.
Since it's not a requirement to graduate, he probably won't be able to make it up at RTC... but, depending on his rating, he should have another opportunity in A School or once he gets to the fleet.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Angst

Angst is on a distinguished road

He can volunteer TAD to security/force protection when he gets to the boat and qualify for both pistol and rifle, with a bonus OC spray to the face regardless of rate. Unless he's a GM, or MA he probably won't be able to do it in 'A' school.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #6
bushiwolf

bushiwolf is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I've been in DEP since August, and I leave for bootcamp very soon. I just wanted to know how the scores are earned. I've seen the ranges for the scores, but how are points awarded? Do you simply have to hit the paper? Or do you have to hit certain areas of the paper to get more points? Can you choose the head or torso, or will they tell you where you need to shoot? I guess my real question is: What is worth what?

I'm a gun owner and I love going to the range. I just don't normally put the target back at 15 yards, and unfortunately I am not going to have enough money to practice before I go. At 15 yards, my groupings get comparatively wide. At 7, if I have time to warm up, I can almost shoot out the little circle in the head so there's no more red circle anymore, but at 15...good luck to me!!!!! I need the entire head! And the same amount of space for the torso!
I hope I can get the expert marksmanship award though. It's really important to me... >_< Not sure if I have hope or not lol!
bushiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:58 AM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

The targets are similar to the TSR-II shown above; the inner two circles are both worth 5 points, then 4, then 3, then 2... a miss is 0. You shoot center-mass, and RTC should still be using the Beretta M9, which is easy to qualify with. A lot of people have a harder time with the Sig M11 pistols.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote