NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Airman (AN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
Tyuiop4856

Tyuiop4856 is on a distinguished road
Default APACT to Nuke?

So I autoqualified for the Nuclear field, but because of some security clearance issue, one that is getting worked on, I couldn't go in as a Nuke and went in as an PACT airman. My question is will I ever be able to go into the Nuclear field after the PACT program. My recruiter told me that I should try to fill out the STA-21 after e3 and go to college and try going in the Nuclear field as an officer. I just want to know what my options are.

Edit:Actually I'm going in as an PACT seaman if that makes a difference

Last edited by Tyuiop4856; 05-29-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Tyuiop4856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyuiop4856 View Post
So I autoqualified for the Nuclear field, but because of some security clearance issue, one that is getting worked on, I couldn't go in as a Nuke and went in as an PACT airman. My question is will I ever be able to go into the Nuclear field after the PACT program. My recruiter told me that I should try to fill out the STA-21 after e3 and go to college and try going in the Nuclear field as an officer. I just want to know what my options are.
Personally I've never seen that happen, but that's because not many people qualify for NUKE or can pass the school. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it might take some under the table type of deals to get done.

What was your clearance issue? I was an SSO (guy who processed clearances) for a while so maybe I can give you a clearer picture.

Also, Officer is a great path if you're going into the Nuclear field. If you're considering making it a career then it could be a great option for you.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Tyuiop4856

The issue is my mother not being a US citizen yet. The career counselor at MEPS put me in the PACT program as a buffer until my mom finished her citizenship
Old 05-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

I have Heard of a case where one guy was PACT-AN and went to nuke school... it was very rare though, but if it was done, it can be done is how I see it.
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The issue is my mother not being a US citizen yet. The career counselor at MEPS put me in the PACT program as a buffer until my mom finished her citizenship
What country is she from originally? That will make a big difference in the future.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Tyuiop4856

She is originally from Malaysia. My dad is from China, but he has a a work permit and a social security number.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
She is originally from Malaysia. My dad is from China, but he has a a work permit and a social security number.
That's going to make getting a clearance a pain in the ass for sure

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote