NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
HM_kumrow

HM_kumrow is on a distinguished road
Default Bootcamp during the holidays

I ship out 20131119 which means I will not be home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years. I was told that in RTC they have an adopt a sailor type of program where you get to go to someones house for Christmas. I want to know if anyone has heard of this. I know my recruiters have gone through bootcamp ages ago and most information may not be the correct now.
HM_kumrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I was in bootcamp for Christmas and New Year's last year. I believe that program still exists, but you only get to go if you're about to graduate. I was only in Week 3 at Christmastime, so we didn't go anywhere.

Honestly though, Christmas was fun. Our RDCs were nice about it. We got to listen to the radio for the first time during holiday routine, we had little Charlie Brown trees in both compartments with holiday lights and then the galley workers made a huge dinner with multiple kinds of pie and little bags of chocolate and lots of stuff we didn't usually get to eat, and our 3rd RDC sat at the table with us and let us talk.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
AyeeYoAP

AyeeYoAP is on a distinguished road

They still do it, but I think they only do that for Sailors who are about to graduate, that already had their service uniform. I left for bootcamp last year, the week after Thanksgiving... whatever december 5th is.

Being at bootcamp during the holidays isn't bad at all though. My 2nd RDC let us tap out at 1930 Food is great, but even better on holidays. They have Christmas services, etc.
AyeeYoAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
HM_kumrow

HM_kumrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
I was in bootcamp for Christmas and New Year's last year. I believe that program still exists, but you only get to go if you're about to graduate. I was only in Week 3 at Christmastime, so we didn't go anywhere.

Honestly though, Christmas was fun. Our RDCs were nice about it. We got to listen to the radio for the first time during holiday routine, we had little Charlie Brown trees in both compartments with holiday lights and then the galley workers made a huge dinner with multiple kinds of pie and little bags of chocolate and lots of stuff we didn't usually get to eat, and our 3rd RDC sat at the table with us and let us talk.
Ok Cool, thanks for the information.
HM_kumrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
D.Brothers

D.Brothers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM_kumrow View Post
I ship out 20131119 which means I will not be home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years. I was told that in RTC they have an adopt a sailor type of program where you get to go to someones house for Christmas. I want to know if anyone has heard of this. I know my recruiters have gone through bootcamp ages ago and most information may not be the correct now.
I'll be right there with you. I ship 20131118 so I'm in the same boat as you. Hopefully it will be a good time.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
delucabv23

delucabv23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Brothers View Post
I'll be right there with you. I ship 20131118 so I'm in the same boat as you. Hopefully it will be a good time.
good luck to everyone
delucabv23 is offline   Reply With Quote