NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
KreTo

KreTo is on a distinguished road
Default Security Clearance Issues

Hi all!

I don't know if anyone here can help me out but I have a question that has been irritating me for about a week now. October I signed as a YN. At the time my Girlfriend was not a citizen. In December she obtained her citizenship. In January I was able to Re-rate into CTN.

Now... She comes from a military household. Her mother is a Cuban citizen (no intention of becoming a citizen, legal resident). Her STEPFATHER is a US Army Sergent Major (E-9). Her biological father is Hungarian, no affiliation with her at all and she has no real communication with him.

I inquired about marriage to the intelligence office in TN and they said that since she is now a citizen we can get married with no repercussions against my seeking a TSSC for my potential CTN position. They would just need her immigration paperwork, a copy of her Birth Certificate, and a copy of our marriage licence.

NOW... We are married (tied the knot on April 5th)... They have all of her information. I have signed the financial paperwork. My recruiter, however, just asked for the birth certificates of my in-laws. He also mentioned that if I failed to provide this information that my job is in danger of being pulled from me... I thought that in-laws weren't apart of the single scope background check for a TSSC and does anyone know if this is going to hurt my ability to maintain my CTN rate?

Any help will help put my worries to rest and he isn't the best at answering questions.

Thanks! KreTo
KreTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

i would private message a meditator
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreTo View Post
Hi all!

I don't know if anyone here can help me out but I have a question that has been irritating me for about a week now. October I signed as a YN. At the time my Girlfriend was not a citizen. In December she obtained her citizenship. In January I was able to Re-rate into CTN.

Now... She comes from a military household. Her mother is a Cuban citizen (no intention of becoming a citizen, legal resident). Her STEPFATHER is a US Army Sergent Major (E-9). Her biological father is Hungarian, no affiliation with her at all and she has no real communication with him.

I inquired about marriage to the intelligence office in TN and they said that since she is now a citizen we can get married with no repercussions against my seeking a TSSC for my potential CTN position. They would just need her immigration paperwork, a copy of her Birth Certificate, and a copy of our marriage licence.

NOW... We are married (tied the knot on April 5th)... They have all of her information. I have signed the financial paperwork. My recruiter, however, just asked for the birth certificates of my in-laws. He also mentioned that if I failed to provide this information that my job is in danger of being pulled from me... I thought that in-laws weren't apart of the single scope background check for a TSSC and does anyone know if this is going to hurt my ability to maintain my CTN rate?

Any help will help put my worries to rest and he isn't the best at answering questions.

Thanks! KreTo
If they are asking for the paperwork give it to them. I don't know if it matters or not but there is probably a reason they are asking for it. I don't know if in laws are considered immediate family members but I do know that immediate family members have to be US Citizens.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
Malarkey

Malarkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
If they are asking for the paperwork give it to them. I don't know if it matters or not but there is probably a reason they are asking for it. I don't know if in laws are considered immediate family members but I do know that immediate family members have to be US Citizens.
Basically this. If they are, you're screwed. If not, you should be okay.
Malarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
KreTo

Thanks all for the reply.

after a bit of research I think that I am about 98% confident that In-Laws are not considered to be "Immediate Family"... I have found a few references to back up that idea. About.com had an article on How the NAVY considers immediate family relationships and it was explicit that "In-laws are not considered immediate family members to the service member simply do to their status as 'in-laws'"... And there was another that explained that "Immediate Family" includes Parents, siblings, wife, children and anyone who may have raised the service member 5 years prior to the investigation, which may incorporate grandparents and step-parents/foster-parents.

Besides that I stopped by the recruiting station and managed to catch the station chief. He said that he hasn't heard anything on the wire about issues regarding my situation... and I guess he was particularly interested since I am going into CT...

Again... thank you all... I can kind of take a small breather.
KreTo
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
griz3232

griz3232 is on a distinguished road

Hate to break it to you KRETO but your chief wouldn't hear anything about your situation through the wire. You would get a phone call from the investigator for more information on that. it is an independent group that does your security clearance interview and they have no contact with your recruit station or recruiter. My investigator said that in her line of buisness that no news is good news.
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
kforbs126

I just stood watch with our security officer and I forgot to ask him. But I'll catch him at our training in a few.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
kforbs126

I just spoke with the security officer and immediate family members can be in laws and it is reviewed on a case by case basis.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

First off, congrats on the wedding. As for the question, as mentioned its gonna be a case by case situation. Give them the needed paperwork, and when it comes time for the interview you'll just have to clear it up with the interviewer to make sure you keep your rate. Just be sure to stick to your guns with the interviewer and you should be ok.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
KreTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
First off, congrats on the wedding. As for the question, as mentioned its gonna be a case by case situation. Give them the needed paperwork, and when it comes time for the interview you'll just have to clear it up with the interviewer to make sure you keep your rate. Just be sure to stick to your guns with the interviewer and you should be ok.
Well... I am sure that I will be fine. Her step-father is a SMG in the Army and I am sure that he wouldn't be where he is if he or my mother in law were any kind of security threat. I appreciate the heads up!
thanks again!
KreTo
Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
KreTo

Just a heads up. I lost the CTN job. Just found out. For these background checks the in-laws citizenship status are considered and there is no exception, even for those already in the Military system.

Just an FYI for the Mods who have to answer these questions.

KreTo :C