NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
GK_Ghost

GK_Ghost is on a distinguished road
Default Need Advice.

Hello,

I am currently in the DEP with a shipping date in 2016. During the enlistment process, I was advised not to disclose some of my medical history.
I already know what I did was wrong but I was naive and sincerely felt that the recruiters were not misleading me. I have previously broken both my wrists, one of the wrists twice, have injured my knee for which a private ER doctor had me wear a brace for a couple of weeks and I have dislocated my pinky finger. My recruiter keeps on telling me to not disclose it but I want to free myself from the guilt. I just would like the opportunity to start my naval career on the right foot even through I have already committed a serious mistaken.

My questions are how can I go about disclosing these conditions before basic if my recruiter is unwillingly to update my medical records and assuming I find a way to update my medical records; What is the possibility that I will lose my nuke contract. If I do lose my contract, I am perfectly okay with enlisting under a different rate.

I have researched as much as I could both on here and through google but I have not found anything sufficient.
I also know this is the typical, " My recruiter told me to lie.." post.

The earliest injury occurred roughly four years ago and none of them have given me any trouble.
GK_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
GrizzlyB108

GrizzlyB108 is on a distinguished road

If your recruiter refuses to update it,
You can always contact someone higher in the chain of command or tell them at MEPS.
Although I had a buddy who was told he could not join because he broke the same ankle twice and tore an ACL.
GrizzlyB108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

I just don't get it way some recruiters have an issue with past broken bones! BOTH my sons have had NUMEROUS broken bones...duh...rodeo..anyway..it was no big deal, it was written down and they never needed waivers for them...now my oldest, he did need waivers for his tattoos!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
GK_Ghost

I will call my recruiter tomorrow and ask him to update my medical records. Meanwhile, I will try to locate as many of my old medical records as I can.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

If your recruiter is telling you not to disclose things, that is a pretty serious infraction on his part. He might not think it matters, but it is always better to err on the side of disclosure. Tell him you want to make sure your medical records are correct. If he refuses, talk to the Chief. The Navy may or may not care about your dislocated pinky, but assume they will find out, and they will care if you hide things. The nuke program is VERY particular about integrity.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:32 AM   #6
cobalt
**Active Duty**

cobalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK_Ghost View Post
Hello,

I am currently in the DEP with a shipping date in 2016. During the enlistment process, I was advised not to disclose some of my medical history.
I already know what I did was wrong but I was naive and sincerely felt that the recruiters were not misleading me. I have previously broken both my wrists, one of the wrists twice, have injured my knee for which a private ER doctor had me wear a brace for a couple of weeks and I have dislocated my pinky finger. My recruiter keeps on telling me to not disclose it but I want to free myself from the guilt. I just would like the opportunity to start my naval career on the right foot even through I have already committed a serious mistaken.

My questions are how can I go about disclosing these conditions before basic if my recruiter is unwillingly to update my medical records and assuming I find a way to update my medical records; What is the possibility that I will lose my nuke contract. If I do lose my contract, I am perfectly okay with enlisting under a different rate.

I have researched as much as I could both on here and through google but I have not found anything sufficient.
I also know this is the typical, " My recruiter told me to lie.." post.

The earliest injury occurred roughly four years ago and none of them have given me any trouble.

Be smart about it, sprained knee / dislocated pinky won't come back to bite you. However, hiding a previously broken wrist will because any doctor worth his salt can probably tell you've broken it before if you do it again. Odds are you won't lose a nuke contract over a broken wrist, honestly nukes tend to get waivers really easily. Also nukes should never say anything during the actual moment of truth, you get a much nicer and less aggressive version from the nuke reps there afterward.
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
GK_Ghost

My recruiter keeps on insisting that my broken bones are all non issues so there is no need to disclose any of it. He says they expect broken bones. My concern now is that since he says they 'don't care', then why is it such an issue to now disclose them?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

If you disclose now, it's a big deal to your recruiter, because the eye will swing to him more than to you ("Did you tell this recruit to 'forget' about this?").

Whether it bothers you right now or not is not much of an issue. But what happens if you break a bone in the same place you did before? The Navy will cover you for it UNTIL they discover your history and realize you lied to them. Some lawyer will make a case that you were trying to defraud the gov't for medical benefits, and you will have a nightmare of a time getting anything at all, much less keeping your nuke status or even your enlistment.

Further: All of those are joint injuries, and the complexity in those areas is such that the "broken bones heal stronger" theory is probably not going to hold true in your case, because there's so much more than bone involved. I am not a doctor, but I would be surprised if you're not more likely to re-injure yourself. (Your recruiter is also obviously not a doctor if he thinks broken bones are a "non-issue", when they expect you to recall every time you've had a 30-second traffic stop.)

I don't think disclosing before you ship will stop a nuke contract. It will reflect very poorly on your recruiter, who frankly deserves it, because nobody's going to buy that you "forgot" you've broken three wrists in your life. That's his problem as a shitty recruiter though, not yours. And I, personally, would not want that telltale heart bothering me for my enlistment or beyond. Tell your recruiter you WILL disclose your history at your next MEPS visit. If he wants to cover his ass, that'll give him his last chance. If he resists, take it to Chief.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
GK_Ghost

Okay. Thanks