NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
jbpr77

jbpr77 is on a distinguished road
Default Failed CTN or CTR School??

Greetings to all,

I have a short question. I am looking for information about CTN or CTR School.
If I fail any of those school, can I choose any job that I will desire, or they push me on other job that they wanted?. I wanted to be a YNS too, but I will try to become a Navy CT's community member. But if for some reason, God help me, I fail on School, can I switch to become a YNS?. I will be very greatful to any advises and responses. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

JGB
jbpr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

I was initially a CTN and got dropped for failing two exams. We called it 'double-tapping.' Along with me, 4 others also failed. We were each presented with different options. Three of the guys (active duty) were each given 5 choices to choose from. The options were LS, AD, PACT Air, and PACT Sea for one guy. They were AD, BM, Pact Air, and Pact Sea for one of the others. The other guy I'm not sure what his choices were, but he chose PACT Sea. Me and the other guy (both Reservist) were given the exact same choices with only one billet for each - meaning we had to decide together which rates we would take. Our choices were EO, EM, and PS. I took PS and he took EM. So, basically, no. You don't get to just choose what you want. They tell you, "Here are your choices. Choose one or you'll be separated from the Navy." I don't know that they'll actually separate you, but that's what I was told. If you have any doubts about CTN I'd be nervous about it. CTR isn't that bad. In fact, I don't know if anyone failing CTR. But I'll tell you this. When I got there and my chief asked what my rating was he said this, "You know what CTNs do? They fail. That's what they do." But, some people are naturals at it. There were guys in my class that I would've never thought could make it, but they killed it. It's hard to guess who'll do good. But it's definitely no cakewalk.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
I was initially a CTN and got dropped for failing two exams. We called it 'double-tapping.' Along with me, 4 others also failed. We were each presented with different options. Three of the guys (active duty) were each given 5 choices to choose from. The options were LS, AD, PACT Air, and PACT Sea for one guy. They were AD, BM, Pact Air, and Pact Sea for one of the others. The other guy I'm not sure what his choices were, but he chose PACT Sea. Me and the other guy (both Reservist) were given the exact same choices with only one billet for each - meaning we had to decide together which rates we would take. Our choices were EO, EM, and PS. I took PS and he took EM. So, basically, no. You don't get to just choose what you want. They tell you, "Here are your choices. Choose one or you'll be separated from the Navy." I don't know that they'll actually separate you, but that's what I was told. If you have any doubts about CTN I'd be nervous about it. CTR isn't that bad. In fact, I don't know if anyone failing CTR. But I'll tell you this. When I got there and my chief asked what my rating was he said this, "You know what CTNs do? They fail. That's what they do." But, some people are naturals at it. There were guys in my class that I would've never thought could make it, but they killed it. It's hard to guess who'll do good. But it's definitely no cakewalk.
Greetings,

I'm really appreciated for your response. At this moment I'm very confuse about if I should to choose one or another, CTN, CTR, YNS. My recruiter said to me that I should choose any of CT's ratings. I want to spend a lot of time with my family. I know some CT's jobs suchs as CTN and CTR don't spend time on sea duty. That is the reason for wich I want to choose CT's jobs, also in the civilian area I can find a lot of opportunities with this knowledge. The recruiter tell me I can choose any jobs if I fail Ct school. But with this information I can take more time to make a best desicion on MEPS.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

CTRs can land shore duty, but there's a big chance that you'll end up on a ship or on the other side of the world. CTNs are almost all shore duty and most likely in the United States on the first tour. Yeoman can be literally anywhere, but if you go subs then you'll probably be on a sub your first tour. Don't quote me on that, but seems likely. Unless your recruiter is a CT or in intel then he is probably like everyone else and doesn't really know what the hell CTs do. Haha! So I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. Especially since he's said you'll be able to pick whatever if you fail. That's simply not true. If you're looking for something that will benefit you on the civilian side and keep you on the ground then CTN is the way to go. Yeoman will help you as a civilian, too, but you're gonna see some sea duty for sure. Anyone of those three choices are awesome rates. I have a lot of experience with all of them because I was a CTN then when I failed I worked in the school that CTRs go to doing inventory and other... stuff... Then when I went to Meridian for PS school the YNs were right next door to my class and my roommate (who used to be a CTN) was a YN. All of them are good rates. Good luck!
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
CTRs can land shore duty, but there's a big chance that you'll end up on a ship or on the other side of the world. CTNs are almost all shore duty and most likely in the United States on the first tour. Yeoman can be literally anywhere, but if you go subs then you'll probably be on a sub your first tour. Don't quote me on that, but seems likely. Unless your recruiter is a CT or in intel then he is probably like everyone else and doesn't really know what the hell CTs do. Haha! So I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. Especially since he's said you'll be able to pick whatever if you fail. That's simply not true. If you're looking for something that will benefit you on the civilian side and keep you on the ground then CTN is the way to go. Yeoman will help you as a civilian, too, but you're gonna see some sea duty for sure. Anyone of those three choices are awesome rates. I have a lot of experience with all of them because I was a CTN then when I failed I worked in the school that CTRs go to doing inventory and other... stuff... Then when I went to Meridian for PS school the YNs were right next door to my class and my roommate (who used to be a CTN) was a YN. All of them are good rates. Good luck!
Good morning.

Thank you very much for yor response that is clear. Now I have clear idea about would happen if I fail any school. Anyways, I think I should choose YNS because it school isn't long time, it's a great job and I will have great opportunities in civilian area.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Let me ask you one question, have you been to MEPS yet to get a rate offer?

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpr77 View Post
Greetings,
I know some CT's jobs suchs as CTN and CTR don't spend time on sea duty.
Just some clarification here.

CTN's obviously will almost never deploy. CTR's though, there's no reason you're not deployable. CTR's are onboard ships, subs, aircraft, you name it.

If you got some questions, throw 'em at me! But just wanted you to know that going CT isn't some kind of promise not to deploy. Hell I've been on 4 myself, covering 30+ countries and 4 continents.

/r
CTT1

Last edited by FlyNavy; 01-07-2018 at 12:37 AM.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Just some clarification here.

CTN's obviously don't deploy . CTR's though, there's no reason you're not deployable. CTR's are onboard ships, subs, aircraft, you name it.

If you got some questions, throw 'em at me! But just wanted you to know that going CT isn't some kind of promise not to deploy. Hell I've been on 4 myself, covering 30+ countries and 4 continents.

/r
CTT1
Thank you very much for this information. It's very important to me to know these specific details.

Regards,

JGB

Last edited by FlyNavy; 01-07-2018 at 12:38 AM.