NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Y0937

Y0937 is on a distinguished road
Default Not Knowing General Orders

So, I ship in about two weeks, and I may have been a bit stupid and not studied my general orders. While I'm obviously cramming hard now... Aside from a ****ton of pushups, what am I looking at? Can you "fail" basic? How much time do I have once I'm there to learn them? As much information as possible is appreciated I know what it comes down to is "get to work and learn them ASAP", but I'd still rather be prepared for all situations.
Y0937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Our last dep meeting I was the only one that knew them, out of 25 future sailors.. Some of whom shipped that week. Don't stress it. You'll just have to learn them while you're extremely sleep deprived and scatterbrained.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough
Default Easy way to learn them

This really helped me..

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2205
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0937 View Post
Can you "fail" basic?
Unless you literally hock a giant loogie in your chief's morning coffee, and he actually catches you doing it, no. I know you're stressing, and people telling you not to isn't really going to help, but don't stress. You'll be tired and off-balance just like everyone else, and you'll get through, just like everyone else.

I don't mean to cheapen anyone's sense of achievement for making it through. It's just that you really don't have anything else to focus on while you're there, so things will actually come surprisingly easily to you.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Y0937

Y0937 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Unless you literally hock a giant loogie in your chief's morning coffee, and he actually catches you doing it, no. I know you're stressing, and people telling you not to isn't really going to help, but don't stress. You'll be tired and off-balance just like everyone else, and you'll get through, just like everyone else.

I don't mean to cheapen anyone's sense of achievement for making it through. It's just that you really don't have anything else to focus on while you're there, so things will actually come surprisingly easily to you.
Yup, definitely stressing, lol. That actually does put me at ease, at least more than I was before. I don't come from a military family at all so I can't get any advice from that area, and with the recruiter's job being to push me through...I trust him, but at the same time there's still that annoying voice saying that he's just telling me what I want to hear. Hearing that from an outside source does help a bit, thanks!
Y0937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
NavyCalifornia

NavyCalifornia is on a distinguished road

I haven't been to boot camp yet so I can't really chime in, but from working with my recruiter he has been more forgiving when I at least know the gist of each one and then after that make progress toward the wording. If you're really cramming I would probably try to make sure you at least know what each one's about so that if you get asked, at least you're close and not like "I can't remember at all." type of deal. Best of luck to you!
NavyCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0937 View Post
So, I ship in about two weeks, and I may have been a bit stupid and not studied my general orders. While I'm obviously cramming hard now... Aside from a ****ton of pushups, what am I looking at? Can you "fail" basic? How much time do I have once I'm there to learn them? As much information as possible is appreciated I know what it comes down to is "get to work and learn them ASAP", but I'd still rather be prepared for all situations.
Make sure that you know them before you get them. It's not required but it will make things a lot easier for you. You will be asked those during inspections and if you get it wrong it's a hit, which isn't good. Also, if you're on watch you will more then likely be asked about your general orders. But you will have about the first 2 weeks to study for the first test.

As for failing basic, that won't happen. But you can get ASMO, set back in training. Don't let that happen. Study for your tests, pass the PFA, and don't get into trouble and you won't be at risk for getting set back.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote