NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
blacktemplar

blacktemplar is on a distinguished road
Default Just having trouble...

Could someone in once sentence explain the differences of these rates in well.. laymen's terms? The forums are alot to soak in.
CTM
CTN
CTT
IT
(I feel lick CTR, CTN, CTT, and IT are very similar)

CTR
IS
(I feel lick CTR and IS are very similar)

Thanks,
Tommy
blacktemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Well CTT1 can give you better details next time he logs on... but since you're looking for laymen's terms:

CTM - Maintain and repair classified sensors and equipment.
CTN - Hackers
CTT - Electronic Intelligence... Radar signals, weapon systems, electronic countermeasures and such. Basically, non-communications ELINT.
IT - Basically just like civilian IT's... install, maintain, and operate the Navy's communications networks, from phone lines to NIPR/SIPR internet networks and beyond.

CTR - Communications-related Signals Intelligence
IS - From my own experience, IS' are the guys who maintain control of our classified publications, drives, etc. They also take intel from Office of Naval Intelligence and other sources and compile regular intel updates for us regarding who's doing what and where they're doing it.

There's more to all of that, obviously... but a lot of it are details I don't want to post on an internet forum, plus I can only really speak in depth on the CT's I work with.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Well CTT1 can give you better details next time he logs on... but since you're looking for laymen's terms:

CTM - Maintain and repair classified sensors and equipment.
CTN - Hackers
CTT - Electronic Intelligence... Radar signals, weapon systems, electronic countermeasures and such. Basically, non-communications ELINT.
IT - Basically just like civilian IT's... install, maintain, and operate the Navy's communications networks, from phone lines to NIPR/SIPR internet networks and beyond.

CTR - Communications-related Signals Intelligence
IS - From my own experience, IS' are the guys who maintain control of our classified publications, drives, etc. They also take intel from Office of Naval Intelligence and other sources and compile regular intel updates for us regarding who's doing what and where they're doing it.

There's more to all of that, obviously... but a lot of it are details I don't want to post on an internet forum, plus I can only really speak in depth on the CT's I work with.
Hassino pretty much nailed it.

I would just add two things;

In regards to CTT's; our primary shipboard duty is anti-ship missile defense (ASMD). That falls within the Electronic-Warfare area of responsibility, but as a sea-going T-brancher, missile defense is going to be your bread and butter. Shore, Aircrew, or Subs though it's more detailed towards Electronic Intelligence (ELINT).

IS's do most of the all-source intelligence briefing and HUMINT, were as the CT community are the technical experts who do the actual collection and in-depth analysis. Kinda like how news anchors read the news but there's guys actually out there chasing the stories.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

If you have CT specific questions, throw a post in my "Ask A Spook" thread!

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote