NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of
Default Boot Camp Questions + Allowed to bring

Hi all. I have questions before leaving for boot camp in terms of what to bring and other tid bits of boot camp that I'm confused.

1.) As far as being allowed to send letters to family and friends, are we allowed to send letters to family overseas and not just the US?

2.) Paychecks: Being paid while in boot camp is great, but will we be taxed from the state we came from on our paychecks? I'm from California, and we have both federal AND state tax. Will this change? Are there any rules as to what gets deducted for being a military member?

3.) Are we allowed to bring wrist watches? The DEP Start Guide didn't mention anything about wrist watches (as some recruit leadership positions would be encouraged to wear watches)

4.) So, I'm looking for ways to save $$ during boot camp. I plan to wear clothes that I don't like or need anymore literally bring no bag but myself in clothes that I want to get rid of and donate once I reach boot camp. So that way I wouldn't have to pay for a box going home nor do I have any plans in sending a box home (I don't wanna bring a cell phone either). What are some ways that you can think of to save $$? If any one has gone through boot camp too, please chime in and I ask you what would you have done differently if you were to go back again?
I don't have family that care about me or support me joining the military, so I'm pretty much on my own.

5.) Paperwork. This one confuses me the most. What specific papers and documents do we need to bring? If we are told not to bring anything to boot camp, then why would people still bring copies of birth certificates, SSN, bank info routing numbers (understandable for those starting a new account, but for those like me who started a Navy Fed/USAA account during DEP and before boot camp), and most importantly medical records? Wouldn't they see your records from MEPS/enlist folder anyway (minus dental and immunization records to bring?)? Should we bring our copies of immunization records, dental records, and living last will/power of attorney/advance directive?

6.) If space allows and fits, would bringing a mini address book the size of a credit card be okay? Also, if your rack is near the fishbowl or some light source, would it be okay to bring those eye shades that you strap on your head for sleeping?

7.) Uniform costs + boot camp expenses. This one I didn't know about. Do we still need to pay for our own haircuts (males)? Wouldn't it be better to shave and get a haircut prior to being sent to boot camp? Also with uniforms, I heard there is a subsidy/stipend amount for enlist and officers. Is that related to uniforms we get in boot camp or are we paying those off with our earned money deducted from paychecks? Anything else (besides NEX) that we are responsible to finance at our own expense in boot camp? I'm trying to get a feel for how much to save prior to being shipped out. Lastly, the start guide tells us to allot a maxmimum of $10 in cash, but I've heard others bringing up to $25 lol. Thoughts?

8.) I'm going to have "care packages/boxes" pre-packed with things I'd like to be sent from home once boot camp is over (my A-school is in Great Lakes, no harm there). Would they allow us to have our laptops and cell phones and some more personal belonging in A-school (compared to what was in boot camp)? I put them in my care packages to be sent to me that's why along with some perishable goodies.

9.) Chits during A school + leave time. I understand that it depends on what phase you're on in some A schools etc... for free time and leave, but I was wondering if we are allowed to submit chits for things like going to a dear friend's wedding on a Saturday (fly out Friday night) and then back to base on Sunday if we don't have duty or watch?

Thanks in advance!
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote