NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road
Default Vegetarian in Bootcamp

I consider myself pretty well versed in foods with protein in them, so I'll offer my advice.

Foods they have at the galley for protein: yogurt (not greek, unfortunately), eggs, oatmeal, brown rice, noodles, milk, kashi cereal, peanut butter, cottage cheese, beans, and fish. Those are all I can remember at the moment. There's a salad bar and cereal station that you'll have access to every meal. Occasionally, they serve non-meat entrees like veggie lasagna or cheese pizza, which have a decent amount of protein in them. Every entree and side dish has nutritional data up on a screen as you're waiting in line to be served. I tried to get about 55-60 grams of protein per day (as a 155 lb 28 yr old female, I don't need much more than that) and was able to do so pretty easily.

Bagged lunches kind of sucked, but they sucked for everyone (lunch meat sandwich, apple, carrots, trail mix, chips, capri-sun). My division knew I was a vegetarian and everyone offered me their items from their lunch that they weren't going to eat. More often than not, I ended up with more food than I could eat! Your shipmates will take care of you as long as you let them know you're a vegetarian.

Also, if you're in decent shape... don't worry about lagging behind with your PT. Maybe if you were a vegetarian that was overweight and couldn't run you should worry about it, but if you're physically fit to begin with , you'll be good.

Also remember: meat does not equal muscle. PROTEIN equals muscle.

With that being said, if the RDCs try to pressure you into eating meat (like mine did)- you do NOT have to eat it. I wish I had known that, because I did eat meat when he yelled at me to... and it sent me to the hospital for two days.

No, the RDCs and galley staff are not going to serve you a veggie burger or tofu or cater to your dietary needs, but there are enough foods available for you to make it through. Be ready to eat the same foods over and over again, and maybe if your RDC is a jerk they'll give you crap for your diet. Just remember that you're going to get yelled at and made fun of regardless (they'll find something to pick on you for, don't worry!).

Vegetarians CAN succeed at bootcamp and still remain vegetarians! (vegans on the other hand... )
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote