NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
blange94

blange94 is on a distinguished road
Default Nuclear field - MM

Is this a more shore side duty than sea? Whats the security clearance on this? Is the nuclear field overmanned?

How do you find out how the rates are manned I have found several post about a CREO list but that leads to a hosting error page.
blange94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

The Navy is always looking for Nukes. The amount that leave after their first enlistment demands that.

Since the Navy also chooses your rating I wouldn't get too hung up on wanting MM. Even though it is the easiest rating of the three to get.

In regards to shore duty for nukes...once you finish all three schools you'll basically be on a sea command for the duration of your first enlistment. At least that's what I'm being told is the "norm" for nukes.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
blange94

blange94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
Since the Navy also chooses your rating I wouldn't get too hung up on wanting MM. Even though it is the easiest rating of the three to get.

In regards to shore duty for nukes...once you finish all three schools you'll basically be on a sea command for the duration of your first enlistment. At least that's what I'm being told is the "norm" for nukes.
why do they get to choose your rating? I want to be deployed as much as possible so thats good news. Thanks
blange94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
rbmorgan

rbmorgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blange94 View Post
why do they get to choose your rating? I want to be deployed as much as possible so thats good news. Thanks
When you sign your nuke contract you don't get to sign for one of the three specific rates. There is a few forums on here that explains the situation in detail but you make a wish list of the order in which you would want each one. Say you put MM, EM, then ET. However, they say it is strictly based on the needs of the navy and they will assign you your rate while in boot.

DEP date: 20140114
Ship date: 20140812
rbmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmorgan View Post
When you sign your nuke contract you don't get to sign for one of the three specific rates. There is a few forums on here that explains the situation in detail but you make a wish list of the order in which you would want each one. Say you put MM, EM, then ET. However, they say it is strictly based on the needs of the navy and they will assign you your rate while in boot.
Is it in boot? I thought i was after the first school so they can see how you're performing.. I hope it is in boot, that would ease some anticipation.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Yes it is in bootcamp that you fill out your dream sheet for which rating you want. Towards the end of bootcamp you'll get a brief on the different ratings and be able to ask all the questions you want about them before you submit your list. You'll know which rating you got about a week or so later.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote