NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
Matt

Matt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar View Post
Can I bring my own razor to boot?
Honestly you can bring anything you want to boot, they really don't check what you bring in during night of arrival. You should see some of the things an 800 division will bring into bootcamp... just make sure whatever it is will fit in your AB drawer.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar View Post
Can I bring my own razor to boot?
Honestly you can bring anything you want to boot, they really don't check what you bring in during night of arrival. You should see some of the things an 800 division will bring into bootcamp... just make sure whatever it is will fit in your AB drawer.
Don't do it. Someone will eventually notice your razor doesn't match everyone else's, you'll be found out, and you will suffer for one of the stupidest reasons I've ever heard.

I was issued a Mach 5, which as multi-blade razors go is pretty much top of the line. (I preferred a Mach 3 for value and ease of cleaning, until I switched to an old-school safety razor.) But for the very short time you're there, the 5 will serve perfectly well, and you can throw it away the minute you leave RTC if you like.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Matt

Matt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Don't do it. Someone will eventually notice your razor doesn't match everyone else's, you'll be found out, and you will suffer for one of the stupidest reasons I've ever heard.

I was issued a Mach 5, which as multi-blade razors go is pretty much top of the line. (I preferred a Mach 3 for value and ease of cleaning, until I switched to an old-school safety razor.) But for the very short time you're there, the 5 will serve perfectly well, and you can throw it away the minute you leave RTC if you like.
It doesn't have to match everyone elses, does it? When I was there we all bought different stuff the first time we went to the NEX anyways... guys bought boxers to wear instead of skivvies and all sorts of stuff (new toothpaste! new razors! new shampoo! new soap! etc...) and the rdc's didn't care at all.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone's RDCs are so cavalier. I know mine would have lost their minds if anyone was caught trying to wear non-issued skivvies, much less keeping them in their rack for inspection.

It's a matter of integrity as well, however small. Don't smuggle shit. You aren't special.

Templar: Unless the razor you're already using is somehow necessary for you due to a medical condition (and I'm sure it's not, and you were just asking a simple question), no, don't bring it. You'll do fine with what's issued, or what you buy later at the NEX if you really need to, and you can have your own back in two months.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Oh god civilian skivies? My RDCs would have absolutely lost it. My RDCs were asmo happy too... Would have ended badly lol

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It doesn't have to match everyone elses, does it? When I was there we all bought different stuff the first time we went to the NEX anyways... guys bought boxers to wear instead of skivvies and all sorts of stuff (new toothpaste! new razors! new shampoo! new soap! etc...) and the rdc's didn't care at all.
It wasn't immediately apparent (mostly because 800 divs aren't supposed to talk to anyone else), but I was in Ship 4 while I was broken and y'all were coddled by bootcamp standards. Physically, I'm sure you guys were challenged more than the rest of us, but for the mundane things like meals and watch you had a lot more leeway and less bullshit.

For instance, during the time I was there all of Ship's Staff was RCU because the 3 800 divs in the ship were "too busy". Because putting the people on crutches on quarterdeck watch all night made more sense . . .
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Skivvies? Only time I wore skivvies at boot camp was for dress white inspection.

Not all 800 divisions were like that, my RDC's flipped on some guy for buying listerine at the NEX. The first trip or two to the NEX was pretty strict but towards the end they loosened up a lot. The last week we went almost everyday, there just wasn't anything else to do.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
Skivvies? Only time I wore skivvies at boot camp was for dress white inspection.

Not all 800 divisions were like that, my RDC's flipped on some guy for buying listerine at the NEX. The first trip or two to the NEX was pretty strict but towards the end they loosened up a lot. The last week we went almost everyday, there just wasn't anything else to do.
My RDCs really didn't like us and we didn't get to do anything like that. Didn't ever go to recruit heaven either. We were like the only division in our training group that didn't go. A 300 division in ship 4 with RDCs that normally do 800 divisions lol

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

Skivvies? Haha...the entire 1400 section in my division was affectionately termed the "No-skivvies guild" and our RDCs honestly didn't care...just as long as we wore the PT shorts and didn't buy boxers or something lol
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote