NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Nukette

Nukette is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to give an update. I managed to get over my embarassment and just asked my recruiter about the whole IUD thing. He seemed mildly amused at my discomfort...

Anyways, he said that as long as I've not had any complications with it (which I haven't) the IUD is no big deal and not to worry, because I'm not the first future sailor to have one.

Sue, I was wondering if you had found anything, and if it lined up with what he said. I have no reason to doubt my recruiter, he seems like a pretty stand-up guy, but it's always nice to have more info from other sources.
Nukette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukette View Post
Sue, I was wondering if you had found anything, and if it lined up with what he said. I have no reason to doubt my recruiter, he seems like a pretty stand-up guy, but it's always nice to have more info from other sources.
I'd like to know too Sue. This is one of those questions that hasn't never been asked before... It would be interesting to know the correct answer.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

I asked my recruiter friends, but they havent got back to me yet, and I asked my son's girlfriend as she is prior navy too, but she didnt know. My recruiter friends said they would ask a female recruiter at headquarters and let me know....so I havent forgotten!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
bluesunshyne

bluesunshyne is on a distinguished road

i know they do implant IUDs during boot camp
bluesunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Nukette

Nukette is on a distinguished road

Really? I think I'd pass on that one! It's very convenient, but having it put in was about the most unpleasant thing I've ever done.
Nukette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
bluesunshyne

bluesunshyne is on a distinguished road

yep, i think they also give muscle relaxes and LLD chit when they implant it. definitely NOT something i would want done at boot camp of all places
bluesunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Allygater213

Allygater213 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lunaruby23
Do they give you shaving supplies there?
and i have extremli curly hair, so when i cut it short it unmanagable and sort of afro-like,
so can i use and elastic band to keep it back or would i be able to purchase gel at the nex?

Lunar - Welcome aboard, glad to have you as part of the crew...

Per your question, per the shaving stuff, all items will be provided for you. The hair thing I not that positive. Ally or one of the other gals should be along shortly to answer that question.

Shaving items- gel and venus razor are provided. You dont really have time to shave every day, but you get Sundays to take a three hour powers shower if you want.
Hair Products- Depending on your RDC's discretion, they will tell you if you can have clips, gel, or you can have someone do braids for you. Our RDC's kept the rubberbands in the office, cause they would hate to see rubberbands on the floor. You are not authorized to have a ponytail/bun in bootcamp.

Originally Posted by Nukette
Ok, this is a really old thread, but I figured it was the most appropriate place for my question...

I know that birth control pills are availible during boot camp, but does anyone know about the alternate forms? More specifically, I have the Mirena IUD, and need to know if it's going to be a problem. I don't think it should be, but I'd prefer not to have it taken out there. I've got an appointment with my gyno next month for a yearly exam, should I get a note from him about it?

Any info would be appreciated!

They have every type of birth control at boot. It's free so take advantage of it.
I got the Implanon, (a little plastic stick they put into your arm) mainly because it makes me not have a period. It lasts for 3 years.
You can keep your IUD in, and you will automatically be getting a pap test around the first week of boot. Just let the gyno know that you have it.

I have been so busy, but I will start getting on here more.
Allygater213 is offline   Reply With Quote