NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
GoodbyeBlueSky

GoodbyeBlueSky is on a distinguished road
Default Graduated and at DLI

Hey everyone, there's quite a few of these threads, but I figured I start one too.

I graduated boot on 4/19, and I've been in Monterey for a week now. I'll just list off a few things about my boot camp experience for now (mostly because my laptop battery is dangerously low on charge), and if anyone has any questions about those things and/or would like me to elaborate, I will.

- I went to boot out of shape. I failed my initial PFA by 1 pushup (I know...) and 1:10 on the run. I passed my second PFA no problem.
- I had a leg injury for the entire second half of boot, starting a few days before the PFA and continuing to now. I went to medical 9 times for my leg, and somehow managed to avoid being ASMOed.
- I was Starboard Watch (not really something I recommend, but it had its perks), and got less sleep than pretty much everyone else in my division. I also got yelled at a lot.

I can also probably answer some questions about SSBI because my investigation is being conducted right now. Also if you have any questions about LRP or Monterey/DLI I may be able to be of assistance.
GoodbyeBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

sky i am 32yrs old and in great shape how do u think rtc will go for me ? my chief says execpt a leadership role
Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

ahhh so happy you came back on here! Congrats time a million! Since I will be following you here in a few months (to DLI and everything) here are my questions:
SSBI- how many interviews have you gone through so far? and did they make you do a poly?
DLI- I know the 1st month is all your initial paperwork and getting through phase one but have they talked to you about your language or given you options yet?
How are the barracks?
Where you a grad and go? and if so did you have your family ship your stuff to you or bring a bag to the airport for you?
and finally did they have like a liaison or sponsor pick you up for the airport or was it just a bus ride to the Presidio? Ahh I am so excited for you! September cant get here soon enough. and November will be amazing when I actually get out there to Ca!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

when do u ship ej ? i ship 20130903
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

I ship Sept 18th... not sure if you have added the FB page or group but I am the annoying one modding both of them! ha just saying!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

so your pushups actually counted? there was another thread where the guy said in the end the pushups didn't really matter for the PFA. he saw people that can barely do 10 pass it? *confused*
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

I still haven't been but I live by Naval Station Norfolk and every sailor I have met says that when they went through NO one failed the final pfa... The quote I got from everyone was "if you fail push ups or sit ups it means your ship mate failed you". I am assuming its like a unwritten agreement but I am still going to do my best to make sure I can meet all the standards!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
drcsyntax

drcsyntax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrias View Post
so your pushups actually counted? there was another thread where the guy said in the end the pushups didn't really matter for the PFA. he saw people that can barely do 10 pass it? *confused*
.......Remember in school, when you had to grade your best friends test? How many times, when you graded your friends test, did you fail him?

Now, fast forward to bootcamp, you just made a new best friend. You're grading his PFA....

That's what people meant. Just be cool with everyone in your division and don't be THAT GUY, and you should be alright.

(You better still be able to do the workouts though, if you get IT'd and quit, I can only imagine the hell you'll be in)
drcsyntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Just be careful not to get caught counting like this. Easy way to fail...

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
griz3232

griz3232 is on a distinguished road

If you do not hold your new shipmate accountable who will? You are only failing him by letting him slide. You should push them to want to better themselves and by not"grading" them properly you are not doing your job. It isn't like our PFA standards are difficult to pass. If they can't pass them maybe the Navy isn't for them.
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Agrias
**Active Duty**

oh, yea, i still intend to pass it, I'm up to being able to do 30 pushups now, was only able to do maybe 10 a month ago.

one other conflicting thing, is the minimum that we need to do "satisfactory" or "good"? I remember reading that you need to make "good" to pass your PFA, but then other ppl say "satisfactory" is enough?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
drcsyntax

Quote:
one other conflicting thing, is the minimum that we need to do "satisfactory" or "good"? I remember reading that you need to make "good" to pass your PFA, but then other ppl say "satisfactory" is enough?
That really shouldn't be a factor. Do as many as you possibly can. If you aim for something like Satis or Good then you'll think "I just need to do these" and that will hurt your performance. Ignore the numbers, just AMRAP
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcsyntax View Post
That really shouldn't be a factor. Do as many as you possibly can. If you aim for something like Satis or Good then you'll think "I just need to do these" and that will hurt your performance. Ignore the numbers, just AMRAP
I need to know because I need to prioritize what to work on with what little time I have after work and between swimming lessons. I can see your reasoning, but it really doesn't help me here.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
Strempek

Strempek is on a distinguished road

Ive heard that it basically is an unwritten rule, but you never know who youre going to get. Best is to just be ready to pass on your own.
Strempek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
drcsyntax

Quote:
I need to know because I need to prioritize what to work on with what little time I have after work and between swimming lessons. I can see your reasoning, but it really doesn't help me here.
It goes back to the same thing. Aim for the highest possible score, AMRAP. Design your workout around that. Doing a push up/ Sit up work out takes like ten minutes max, so it's not like you're pressed for time.

To pass, you should be in the "Good" catergory.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
GoodbyeBlueSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
ahhh so happy you came back on here! Congrats time a million! Since I will be following you here in a few months (to DLI and everything) here are my questions:
SSBI- how many interviews have you gone through so far? and did they make you do a poly?
DLI- I know the 1st month is all your initial paperwork and getting through phase one but have they talked to you about your language or given you options yet?
How are the barracks?
Where you a grad and go? and if so did you have your family ship your stuff to you or bring a bag to the airport for you?
and finally did they have like a liaison or sponsor pick you up for the airport or was it just a bus ride to the Presidio? Ahh I am so excited for you! September cant get here soon enough. and November will be amazing when I actually get out there to Ca!
Thanks!
SSBI- I've done two interviews. One at the SSBI office in boot camp where they determine if you'd even be eligible for a top secret clearance or if there's something that might hold you back. At this point you've already got (or should at least) a secret clearance. If everything checks out and you don't need any extra info, you'll basically redo the SF-86 you filled out before and submit it for a top secret clearance.
The second interview was in my ship at boot camp with one of the special agents assigned to my case. It was basically a bunch of the same questions, plus he asked for contact info for more friends, roommates, etc. So have as much of that with you in boot camp as possible. If you've gone to college, keep in mind some professors you've had as well (just name and department). They didn't make me do a poly.

DLI- You'll actually get your language in boot camp. There's a day your entire division will go to classifications, and they'll pull you and any other CTIs aside and give you your language. It will probably still be CTICS Thorton when you're there. He's pretty cool. He'll tell you a little about his experience as a Russian linguist. I don't think he gave any of us a choice with our languages, he mostly based it off what classes were available and what our DLAB scores were.
Phase 1 actually only lasts two weeks here. You'll do a lot of paperwork and sit through a lot of briefs and have a lot of inspections, and you'll have to qualify to stand watch and be a duty driver, but none of it is difficult. I just made phase 2 today, so I'm allowed to go off base and wear civvies now (not that I have any with me yet...) which is pretty exciting.
The barracks aren't bad. You'll start off in the hold building, which is where I'm at now. Two people to a room (though you may or may not have a room to yourself for a while) with a desk, bed, and wall locker/wardrobe for each person. Plus a mini-fridge/microwave and a set of shelves/drawers to share. After a couple months, you'll move to one of four different buildings, but I don't know much about those yet.
Yeah, we graduated on Friday and all flew out on Saturday afternoon. We left for the airport at like 0330 though. You'll probably have a similar experience; Senior Chief Thorton said that's how it usually goes for CTIs. I took a nice long nap in the USO at O'Hare. I had my parents come to the airport and bring me my cell phone and my laptop (which I put in my backpack). I thought about having them bring me a bag of clothes, but sea bag, backpack, and garment bag were a lot to carry, so I'm glad I didn't have an extra bag. I'm still waiting for my mom to ship me some clothes, but that's ok.
When you get to the airport here in Monterey, you'll call the Quarterdeck and they'll send the duty driver to come get you, so don't worry about that.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
GoodbyeBlueSky

Quote:
For the initial PFA, your count will most likely be accurate. By the final PFA, my RDCs said there shouldn't be anyone failing the pushups or situps. Take from that what you will, but basically if you fail the final PFA, it's because you didn't make the run time. There's no way to fake that.

Also, I thought I needed to meet the "Good" requirements to pass, but it turns out you only have to meet the "Satisfactory". Pretty much everyone in my division made it to "Good" though. My run was 15 seconds off from there, but I was running injured, so I was just happy to be passing haha.
But really, when I entered DEP back in October, I couldn't do any pushups. By the end of bootcamp, I was doing more than enough to pass on my own, and I didn't even PT between the second and final PFAs.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

Thank you! I hate change so any and all information I get helps sooooo much to help me mentally prepare! So its greatly appreciated! I will see you in November!