NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
Scubasteve0719

Scubasteve0719 is on a distinguished road
Default Reserve HM in GA?

Hey everyone. I've been searching around and haven't really been able to find an answer to my questions. I would like to become a HM, go through FMTB, and work with a Marine unit. However, through all of my searching on the Marine sites and Navy sites too I haven't found what a Marine or a Navy HM reservist from GA has to do. I can only assume it would be to travel to Lejuene in NC. So I'm just trying to figure out if anyone knows of any units in GA (I've found somewhere there is a Recon unit out of GA but that info was dated a few years ago and per Marines.mil it doesn't mention anything about it.

Anyway, any info would be much appreciated.

I've also read that every HM in the Reserves is contracted through FMTB. Is that also true? Would it work out to go through FMTB and then be assigned to a NOSC here in GA (which I know there are several of those)? Found this answer in a separate thread. Seems like that is what happens, Reserve, FMTB, then NOSC. Anyway still curious about GA specifically.

Anyway thanks again.

Last edited by Scubasteve0719; 08-28-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Scubasteve0719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve0719;58786Anyway still curious about GA specifically.[/I
[/B]

Anyway thanks again.
Hey Steve!

You would be assigned to your nearest NOSC. Your actual billet that you may be filling might be for a different unit, but as far as regular drill weekends for an HM it would typically be your closest NOSC. On your 2 weeks AT, long term orders, or mobilization, THEN you would be going to a Marine unit or somebody else. But for run of the mill drill weekends, the NOSC still needs medical staff to help upkeep all the other members a part of that command.

That would include things like medical records, PHAs, screenings, blood draws/tests, that kinda thing to help the members there upkeep their medical readiness.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Scubasteve0719

Thanks! That's really helpful. Answered it pretty much to a tee. Relieved I can still work with Marines even if it is only on the two weeks. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
Scubasteve0719

So I'm back again. I talked to a recruiter and he told me that he didn't know if they still contracted FMTB to reservist HM's anymore. He also told me my Asvab score was too high. (It's a 87 on the practice, 84 last legit time I took it). Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve0719 View Post
So I'm back again. I talked to a recruiter and he told me that he didn't know if they still contracted FMTB to reservist HM's anymore. He also told me my Asvab score was too high. (It's a 87 on the practice, 84 last legit time I took it). Any thoughts on this?
Having a high ASVAB doesn't DQ you from anything; they just like getting smart people into smart people jobs. But if you REALLY wanna be a BM or something, I'm not aware of anything they could use to stop you other than saying "you sure?".

As far as the contract stuff goes, that would be more his forte than mine. I'm not a recruiter, so I'm not sure if NAVCRUCOM put out some new guidance on that or not.

/r
CTT1

Tags
fmtb, georgia, marines, nosc, reserve