NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
jshoo26

jshoo26 is on a distinguished road
Default 800 Division (specops/special warfare) questions

Hey All,

I'm set to ship out to Great Lakes on the 19th of November with an SO contract so I'll be in an 800 division. I saw a post regarding a typical day in one of these divisions (from 2012 I believe). Can any one on here give me some more insight on what a typical day for someone in an 800 division is like? Do we get to pt a little extra every day for sure? Is the first PST in the first or second week of training, etc? I'd love to hear from someone who just left boot camp being in an 800 division!

Thanks,

JS
jshoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

I may not have been there, and certainly my son was not in an 800 division..but those in the 800 PT much harder EVERY DAY! You will have to pass a much more stringent test than any other recruit at boot, and pass a much harder swim test....along with all your class work.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Rusk

Rusk is on a distinguished road

From what I've seen it is similar to regular basic in the sense that they teach you how to be a sailor first, but you will pt hard 2x a day. Buds prep is where your gonna get the real first taste at how tough buds will be. My friend is contracted as airr and is currently at basic in the 800 division, I could probably get you a lot more info and a daily schedule once he graduates.
Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Soccer_cat

Soccer_cat is on a distinguished road

How many 800 divs are going through at a time? I was in a 900 div and performed at three graduations including my own and never saw an 800 div.
Soccer_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

From what I know there's never more than one per graduating group - and they come in spurts.

I saw a little of the 800 divs while I was in RCU - both are in Ship 4. When I first arrived there, there was only one 800 div (presumably 806, although I didn't know it at the time) in the ship, and they were about to graduate. After they graduated there was a week or two when RCU was alone in the ship (a lot of people who weren't ship's staff wound up standing quarterdeck watch since there weren't enough), but soon after new divisions started arriving. I saw 807, 808, and 809 arrive - although I believe I graduated before any of them.

There would have been a good 2 months gap between the graduations of 806 and 807 though - if that's typical, it's not surprising you didn't see any.

As far as their actual life in bootcamp goes I know rather little. They weren't supposed to talk to us, although it happened occasionally and they always seemed to think they were allowed to cut us in line for early chow. I also believe they get different, more intense IT - I've been told their RDCs have a black card - but that's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
jshoo26

Rusk,

Thanks for the response! When does your buddy graduate boot camp? Anytime soon? I'm shipping out on the 18th of November, but yeah I'd love to hear an "up to date" piece of information on a typical day for an 800 division. I know all about bud/s prep and most of the other things. Not worried at all, I'm just curious about the day to day stuff in basic. Let me know if you hear from your buddy! Also anyone else who has "been there", info is appreciated!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Rusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoo26 View Post
Rusk,

Thanks for the response! When does your buddy graduate boot camp? Anytime soon? I'm shipping out on the 18th of November, but yeah I'd love to hear an "up to date" piece of information on a typical day for an 800 division. I know all about bud/s prep and most of the other things. Not worried at all, I'm just curious about the day to day stuff in basic. Let me know if you hear from your buddy! Also anyone else who has "been there", info is appreciated!
He's been in for about 4 weeks, so I'm not sure if he will be graduating before you leave. But if he does I will be sure to get all the info I can for you and an up to date day by day schedule.

what are you doing to prepare for buds?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
jshoo26

Ah okay gotcha. Yeah I may be leaving as he is graduating! Haha. Do you get letters from him?

To be brief, mainly a LOT of running and swimming (long endurance runs and swims), swims w fins/treading, pushups pullups situps, flutter kicks lunges squats etc, and lots of stretching and prehab/injury prevention.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Rusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoo26 View Post
Ah okay gotcha. Yeah I may be leaving as he is graduating! Haha. Do you get letters from him?

To be brief, mainly a LOT of running and swimming (long endurance runs and swims), swims w fins/treading, pushups pullups situps, flutter kicks lunges squats etc, and lots of stretching and prehab/injury prevention.
Just found out he is graduating on the 15th, so I will probably be able to get you some pretty insightful info before you leave. Sounds like you have a pretty good routine, I heard the number one reason why guys don't make it to indoc at buds is because of stress fractures, shin splints etc. but it sounds like your doing everything right.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
camfurr

camfurr is on a distinguished road

Sorry I didn't catch this in time. 800 div's are "different" I guess you could say. When I was in 803, we held ourselves to a higher standard than the other divisions. I suppose you could say we were cocky. We were a lot more PT intensive, as well as more competitive. Think about crowding 80 guys, all with type A personalities, into one compartment for 2 months. Oh, and put the "best" RDC's in great lakes in there as well. We earned every flag possible at great lakes, including HOF and the battle stations flag. We were by far the best division there.
camfurr is offline   Reply With Quote