NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Poet4real

Poet4real is on a distinguished road
Default 800 division.

So I was wondering how does one get into an 800 division in bootcamp. How would I go about trying to join the Navy seals. Basically how can I get into that pipeline if it's not in my contact. And what are jobs that are similar to navy seals that go through that same pipe line. My rate is HM. Thank you for your replies I appreciate it.
Poet4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

As an HM you will not be in an 800 division. SEAL's SWCC, EOD..basically any special OPS type of rating goes into an 800 division in boot as they do need special training during boot. You can ask your recruiter if you can take the pre-test for SEALS before you go to boot..they do have qualifications that must be met for it to be in your contract, I think the same is true for SWCC. I know in the past they used to ask if there was anyone that wanted to try for it while at boot..not sure if that is offered anymore..the ones that have been there recently might know that.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
camfurr

camfurr is on a distinguished road

You no longer take a PST at bootcamp to get a SEAL contract. You need to talk to your recruiter about getting in contact with your local special warfare coordinator in order to take a PST BEFORE you leave for bootcamp. Otherwise, you will not have another chance for 2 years at least.
camfurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
Poet4real

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfurr View Post
You no longer take a PST at bootcamp to get a SEAL contract. You need to talk to your recruiter about getting in contact with your local special warfare coordinator in order to take a PST BEFORE you leave for bootcamp. Otherwise, you will not have another chance for 2 years at least.
So say I take the PST and Go through an 800 division. Then I finally get to buds training. What would happen if I were to fail out. would I be an HM still? And could I get another chance to retry?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

No, you would be needs of the navy, and they'll put you where they need you (usually PACT Seaman)

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Poet4real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
No, you would be needs of the navy, and they'll put you where they need you (usually PACT Seaman)
That happens even if I wait two years to try out for it?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet4real View Post
That happens even if I wait two years to try out for it?
If you passed the PST in DEP, you wouldn't be an HM anymore, that slot would go to someone else. So if you failed out you'd get whatever they could find.

However, if you already have a job and then attempt to cross-rate but fail that's different. I don't know if this is the case all of time - but I know a PO at my A school attempting to cross-rate and I'm pretty sure he said he can't go back if he fails out here, he'll be out of the Navy.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Poet4real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
If you passed the PST in DEP, you wouldn't be an HM anymore, that slot would go to someone else. So if you failed out you'd get whatever they could find.

However, if you already have a job and then attempt to cross-rate but fail that's different. I don't know if this is the case all of time - but I know a PO at my A school attempting to cross-rate and I'm pretty sure he said he can't go back if he fails out here, he'll be out of the Navy.
Wow. I want to take the PST and go through it. That's a risk though. I need to really think about it.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
This is not true. If you do not make it through a spec ops program you will get the chance to pick a new rate just like you did at MEPS. The only difference here is that you don't have a lot of time. New jobs are listed every Monday morning so they told me I could come back then and see if there was something I wanted, if I didn't see something I wanted they would pick something for me.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
This is not true. If you do not make it through a spec ops program you will get the chance to pick a new rate just like you did at MEPS. The only difference here is that you don't have a lot of time. New jobs are listed every Monday morning so they told me I could come back then and see if there was something I wanted, if I didn't see something I wanted they would pick something for me.
And most of the jobs they give you are what the Navy needs now. And if you had any waivers coming into the Navy you'll most likely just get offered Undes as they don't want to take the time to reprocess your waivers. I work with buds drop guys that are getting processed out for injury or waiting to go back through on limdu. A few have chosen to get out instead of going undes because that is all they were offered. Guys with 90+ ASVABs.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

I had about 15 jobs on my list. Just about everyone that was in my class who was dropped was able to get one of their top three jobs. I was offered anything from is to cs.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

This may be something that varies with the time of the year. I see a lot of people drop and reclass from CTI, and they try really hard to get them (or the LOAs at least) pretty good rates. Sometimes they get stuff like CTM, AD, GM, MA etc but sometimes all that's available is Undes. I saw that happen last September/October (end of the fiscal year) specifically.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

When my army son was in Washington DC with the Honor Guard/Old Guard, almost all the ones that did funerals for the navy at Arlington were BUDS drop outs..the bad part for those that get sent to DC in that roll, it is a 3 year commitment, and you CANNOT promote beyond E3 for the time you are there.(so if you go in as an E3, you are stuck there period) My son was friends with most of them as on some occasions they do joint service funerals. The army on the other hand, those with Honor Guard/Old Guard promote very fast as they are all Infantry and do get deployed from there, and generally make E4 in 3 years if they only start at E1, those that start higher, go higher faster.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #14
Breakdancer/EOD

Breakdancer/EOD is on a distinguished road
Default Wow thats relieving

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
I had about 15 jobs on my list. Just about everyone that was in my class who was dropped was able to get one of their top three jobs. I was offered anything from is to cs.
So if i happen to get washed out, which is something I just thought about, I'll have that many options? I train hard as hell but you never know
Breakdancer/EOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #15
FutureND
**Active Duty**

When I went through yes, there were quite a few options. The same was for the other 13 people in my class who didn't make it. I also know a few other spec ops guys who didn't make it who had quite a few choices. In my sw a school we had 8 people and 4 of is were spec ops candidates. We had an so, sb, airr, and I was the nd candidate.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #16
mfarr13

mfarr13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdancer/EOD View Post
So if i happen to get washed out, which is something I just thought about, I'll have that many options? I train hard as hell but you never know
Another option you have is the following: take HM, go to A-school. At A-school, you can screen for SAR Corpsman, Navy Dive-Med Tech, and Marine Recon Corpsman (not all may be offered when you're there, depending on needs of Navy). You will have to maintain an A average academically and screen to be able to PT with the other selectees from 0430 to 0530 or 0600. It is doable, and is a way to retain your HM rate and go SpecWar. After you graduate A-school, your contract will be modified and you'll be sent to the respective school e.g Dive school/FMTB followed by Recon school/etc.

HM3
mfarr13 is offline   Reply With Quote