NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
YNS_KP

YNS_KP is on a distinguished road
Default ADVICE on when to go..

Hello all,

My original shipdate was 20140401. However, my recruiter just called me and told me that I could go next month if I wanted (however, he doesn't know the exact day until I saw a definite yes).

First of all, is it generally better to go to RTC in the dead of winter or the early spring?

Second, rushing up RTC by at least two months is kind of scary as I was mentally prepared to make a slower transition.

Logistically it would be a challenge to get ready to go by January but it makes more logical sense. Any advice is appreciated; I told him I would tell him tomorrow so speed is of the essence.

Thank you, shipmates!
Kyle
YNS_KP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNS_KP View Post
Hello all,

My original shipdate was 20140401. However, my recruiter just called me and told me that I could go next month if I wanted (however, he doesn't know the exact day until I saw a definite yes).

First of all, is it generally better to go to RTC in the dead of winter or the early spring?

Second, rushing up RTC by at least two months is kind of scary as I was mentally prepared to make a slower transition.

Logistically it would be a challenge to get ready to go by January but it makes more logical sense. Any advice is appreciated; I told him I would tell him tomorrow so speed is of the essence.

Thank you, shipmates!
Kyle
From what I've been seeing on my weather app for Great Lakes, it's ridiculously cold there during the winter :P Especially if you're coming from a warmer climate.

If it was me though, I would wait. I would like the extra time to become more prepared. But that's me lol I always like being as prepared as I can

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're jumping up-and-down to go earlier, you might as well take the extra 2 months to lock in your Start Guide and run a mock PFA several times a week.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
HMRivera

HMRivera is on a distinguished road

Yeah I agree with them. I'm leaving in a couple days and I'm not looking forward to the 20° weather. Trust me you're going to need the extra time to study and work out even though it will be annoying having to wait for the ship date. I think you should wait and make sure you're physically and mentally ready.
HMRivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
YNS_KP

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I am no stranger of cold weather though. I grew up in Minnesota (colder than Great Lakes) and currently live in NYC (which can also get pretty damn cold).

I have my sailor's creed and the first half of the general orders memorized. I am already going in as an E-3 from college credits so I am not trying to ace the PFA to get a promotion. I think I could get decently prepared in the next month.

I've read that the recruits shovel snow in the winter but as a trade off they don't do the confidence chamber; does anyone know if this is true?

I am definitely not itching to go early at all. But financially it is a tempting proposition. Hence my indecision haha.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you, shipmates!
Kyle
It's really up to you. If you feel confident enough to leave in January then go for it. If not, then take advantage of the time until April and master everything that you need to study. Good luck in making the best decision for yourself.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Silipino

Silipino is on a distinguished road

If you are confident in the knowledge you obtained from the start guide and your athletic ability, then I'd say go for it. I myself would wait cause I have the cold.
Silipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Here is my adivse, and some info from my son that was there in the winter....if you feel ready then go now. As far as shoveling snow and not having to do the confidence chamber...LOL you will still have to do that! My son was there during a big snow storm..he got "snow watch" which I thought was really funny as even here at home he always HATED to shovel snow unless it was to clear his baseketball court, and yet still had to do it there! Yes he wrote home about having to shovel snow...all I could do was laugh!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
YNS_KP

Thanks for the info! I was reading a thread on here awhile back and someone said they didn't do the confidence chamber and others weighed in and thought it was because it was winter. I guess that was not reliable :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Here is my adivse, and some info from my son that was there in the winter....if you feel ready then go now. As far as shoveling snow and not having to do the confidence chamber...LOL you will still have to do that! My son was there during a big snow storm..he got "snow watch" which I thought was really funny as even here at home he always HATED to shovel snow unless it was to clear his baseketball court, and yet still had to do it there! Yes he wrote home about having to shovel snow...all I could do was laugh!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

As someone who was there from Nov to March last year - go in the spring. The winter gear they make you wear is really annoying, you will probably be shoveling snow, and you will still do the confidence chamber.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
FutureHM

FutureHM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've read that the recruits shovel snow in the winter but as a trade off they don't do the confidence chamber; does anyone know if this is true?
Only thing you get out of for shoveling snow is not getting yelled at by RDC's. I would take the offer though if you know you'll be ready by then.
FutureHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #12
fsmccree

fsmccree is on a distinguished road

I say go for it judging by the name we got the same rate
fsmccree is offline   Reply With Quote