NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Tracy

Tracy is on a distinguished road
Default After PIR

At what point in bootcamp do the SR's find out their flight info to leave for A school? I'm assuming in time to write home and let family know if they will be able to spend any time with them after PIR. Providing plans don't change at the last minute, of course.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

There are 4 options.

Grad-n-Go Great Lakes. The people who have A school at Great Lakes. These people usually get overnight liberty all weekend.

Grad-n-Go other location. These people fly out right after PIR. They usually have a couple hours with their families.

Non GNG Great lakes - These people stay in their bootcamp barracks all weekend. They usually get weekend liberty, but not overnight.

Non GNG other locations - These people stay in the bootcamp barracks and fly to their A school later in the weekend. They usually get weekend liberty, but not overnight.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

I know I've posted this before but my son was not a GNG and on Thursday night this was changed and he was a GNG. Bad part being we didn't know that till after PIR was over and we got only a tiny bit of time to spend together before he left O'Hare.
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
AVSailor

AVSailor is on a distinguished road

you get your orders before pir after you pass battlestations
AVSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
cttaef21

cttaef21 is on a distinguished road

We got our orders the week of PIR on a Tuesday. My orders did not come in on time(lucky me)..So I had to go to THU for a few days and ended up flying out the next Wednesday....It all depends on flights and prices, but typically if you are going to NSTC, you will move over right after PIR...People coming down here to Pensacola usually come on Sundays, this week it was Monday though....Most of my division left Sunday, but like I said, it varies.

But you won't really be able to write and let them know...Had a lot more phone calls leading up to that point, but my parents didn't know my orders didn't come in until after PIR.
cttaef21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #6
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

When will we find out our PIR date so family can buy plane tickets? And is it common to get set back in BC and have that date change?
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

You will get the date in the form letter, which comes in week one or two. But yes, people do get rolled back and don't graduate on their original date.
If you can hold off until week 4 or 5 to buy tickets, there's less of a chance of them being rolled back at that point.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Ncnavymom

Ncnavymom is on a distinguished road

Also one change those staying in GL for A school do get liberty all weekend but it is no longer overnight. You'll get to meet your family right after PIR but then you need to go move over to A school. The process can take about 5 hours then you'll get the rest of the evening with your family, and then the whole day on Sat and Sun.
Ncnavymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

We've had 2 sailors come back on RAP duty who went to Pensacola for A School... both of them graduated on a Friday, and had Fri afternoon/evening with family. One of them went to the airport Sat morning, and the other got Sat with family and went Sun morning... but they both said they were delivered to O'Hare before 1200, and didn't fly out until much later (1800 & 2000), so they were able to leave the airport with their family and spend one last afternoon with them. The Navy was responsible for getting them from RTC to the airport, but it was up to them to be on their flight... nobody forced them to stay in the terminal.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
cttaef21

cttaef21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamayamaa View Post
When will we find out our PIR date so family can buy plane tickets? And is it common to get set back in BC and have that date change?
during P-days, you will go into a room and fill out some forms and enclose it to mail it back to whoever you choose...It will have your address, grad date, division #, etc....It is not common unless you are injured for whatever reason....The only healthy people that seem to get ASMO'd are idiots
cttaef21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

If you are an ET or FC, this is what happens. You are a Grad N Go for Great Lakes. You get out of the Drill Hall roughly 1030 and then you can spend about 45 minutes with your family. Then you have to haul ass back to your ship, pack up your stuff, and get on a bus. I was picked up at 1230. Then they take you across the train tracks to your new ship. There is get a really small indoc, fill out 3 pieces of paper, and then they march your small group to the front gate (about .5 mile or so) where you can meet your family. They usually release you at about 1500. You have until 2200. The next day, liberty call is at 0500. Liberty expires 2200. Same goes for Sunday as well.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote