NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Soulkashi

Soulkashi is on a distinguished road
Smile HM (Corpsman) Chances of getting stationed in Yokosuka Japan?

Hello everyone, Im in DEP for a Corpsman set to leave july 02 of 2018, after "A" school all i want...i guess in life in general is to be stationed in Yokosuka Japan or any base close to Tokyo It's one of the main reasons I joined, any current HM's or recent ones have any advice on how to go about it other then just putting it on your dream sheet? are the chances good? also, if I dont get it as my first order, how do I go about getting switched to Yokosuka from my first command? Thank you!
Soulkashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Welcome aboard..learn all you can here...as for getting Japan, remember it is the needs of the Navy that come first...you might get a dream sheet to fill out at the near ending of your training..but you should also be advised what is available. Being near or at the top of your class might give you a better chance of getting your first choice on the dream sheet.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Soulkashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Welcome aboard..learn all you can here...as for getting Japan, remember it is the needs of the Navy that come first...you might get a dream sheet to fill out at the near ending of your training..but you should also be advised what is available. Being near or at the top of your class might give you a better chance of getting your first choice on the dream sheet.
Yeah Im aware its the needs that come first sadly, but will they work with me after my first command getting somewhere i dont like for a year or 2? like if I got stationed at like san diego will they work with me to get me over to Yokosuka? I'm a very hard worker academically i plan to score near top off my class in corpsman "A" school, will I be presented with a listed after "A" school to pick from? or is it just kinda like pick either East coast, west coast, or overseas and hope you get lucky?
Old 09-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
sweetmtn

In many cases a possible list of available stations is told you near the end of your A school, you will be told then to possibly make a list from those available..and I have also been told by my son that some of those he knows were just assigned and no choice.
As for changing commands, I am not sure how that works or how long you need to be at one command before being able to transfer..I would guess you would have to at least get all your quals done..have no clue on how long that takes as an HM.
Also know that in many cases if married and under E5, family cannot go with you to Japan. There are exceptions, but rare.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Soulkashi

Quote:
In many cases a possible list of available stations is told you near the end of your A school, you will be told then to possibly make a list from those available..and I have also been told by my son that some of those he knows were just assigned and no choice.
As for changing commands, I am not sure how that works or how long you need to be at one command before being able to transfer..I would guess you would have to at least get all your quals done..have no clue on how long that takes as an HM.
Also know that in many cases if married and under E5, family cannot go with you to Japan. There are exceptions, but rare.
I have a gf (Not married) and would most likley be going in as an E2, what exacly are quals? and are detailers usually nice enough to work with you? thanks for all the info...just kinda sucks i really dont wanna go in if Im just gonna be everywhere other then the one place i wanna go for the duration of my contract (5 years) even if i got sent somewhere i hated for 2 years like San Diego, then Japan for the remaining 3 years id be happy but seems like the odds of that happening are none
Old 09-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulkashi View Post
I have a gf (Not married) and would most likley be going in as an E2, what exacly are quals? and are detailers usually nice enough to work with you? thanks for all the info...just kinda sucks i really dont wanna go in if Im just gonna be everywhere other then the one place i wanna go for the duration of my contract (5 years) even if i got sent somewhere i hated for 2 years like San Diego, then Japan for the remaining 3 years id be happy but seems like the odds of that happening are none
Quals, as in qualifications. These are the items that must be completed by the time your command says it shall. As for the detailers, I would guess it depends on each one, as they are only human. Plus they can only work with what is available to them to work with.
If you cant get your hearts desire and be sent to Japan, what was your reason for enlisting?

Old 09-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Soulkashi

Quote:
Quals, as in qualifications. These are the items that must be completed by the time your command says it shall. As for the detailers, I would guess it depends on each one, as they are only human. Plus they can only work with what is available to them to work with.
If you cant get your hearts desire and be sent to Japan, what was your reason for enlisting?
School as well is another reason, Im a strong student academically and plan to use my GI bill to become an RN, but I do come from a low/middle class family that cant afford college, I wish there was somewhere they post statistics of Jobs like how often Yokosuka Japan is an open billet for HM's, compared to how many times its not, as well as how many Sailors WANT to go to Japan compared to like a decade ago, my step father said when he was stationed in Yokosuka NOBODY wanted to be there they all just got sent over there due to needs of the Navy Id do anything to be there, my detailer could sent me to Iraq for all i care for a year or 2 as long as hed get me to Yokosuka, other then the Military I have no idea how else to complete my life long dream of living in Japan for a few years

~P.S Thank you for the Replies/Advice