NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
Agg33

Agg33 is on a distinguished road
Default Nuclear Field

I am dropping my weight to get into the Navy for Nuclear Engineering and I had a few questions about the Nuclear Field. First off I was wondering where all the stress is for nukes. Does it come from the work environment? The work itself? I keep hearing about the stress but not what the stress is. Second, the Chief at my local recruiter says that getting into the STA-21 program while in the pipeline is pretty easy. He says to apply, and if I am denied just re apply and they will probably accept me. What are the chances of getting an appointment to the Naval Academy for a nuke?

I am really thinking that the Nuclear Power field is where I want to go, I just want to make sure I know everything I can before I actually decide for sure.

Thanks for any replies, it is helpful having a place to go and find people with actual experience.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

There are some older posts on here explaining the the acceptance rate for nukes into STA-21 is really high.

I don't know anything about where the stress comes from, other than I hear there are constant qualifications that need sigs, both in school and in the fleet, so I imagine that is stressful. But I am still a I'll have a better idea in a few months. I leave for RTC next week!

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg33 View Post
I am dropping my weight to get into the Navy for Nuclear Engineering and I had a few questions about the Nuclear Field. First off I was wondering where all the stress is for nukes. Does it come from the work environment? The work itself? I keep hearing about the stress but not what the stress is. Second, the Chief at my local recruiter says that getting into the STA-21 program while in the pipeline is pretty easy. He says to apply, and if I am denied just re apply and they will probably accept me. What are the chances of getting an appointment to the Naval Academy for a nuke?

I am really thinking that the Nuclear Power field is where I want to go, I just want to make sure I know everything I can before I actually decide for sure.

Thanks for any replies, it is helpful having a place to go and find people with actual experience.
They have told us that getting into the naval academy is at about 80% acceptance for us. However, no one I know has been picked up for it yet. The STA 21 is a little more competitive they say. A lot of guys have applied for that and we find out who gets accepted in/around October.

I can only speak for the stress you face in the school. They throw a lot at you that your expected to pick up and know. A lot of times you only have X amount of time to learn it. So some people stress out about that. It's been my experience that this school is what you make it. If you put forth the effort and study hard the stress is very minimal.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Agg33

I usually pick stuff up pretty quick, so that shouldn't be to much trouble.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Okay then the second thing I'll add is that if you want to go officer then get your degree first and then get accepted. If you go enlisted and want to bank on getting picked up for sta-21 or the academy, you might not get picked up.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
Okay then the second thing I'll add is that if you want to go officer then get your degree first and then get accepted. If you go enlisted and want to bank on getting picked up for sta-21 or the academy, you might not get picked up.
Remember too that the Academy requires you be under the age of 23 and not be married or have dependents.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
Agg33

Good thing I fit that description then haha
Old 07-18-2014, 04:46 AM   #8
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Remember too that the Academy requires you be under the age of 23 and not be married or have dependents.
Age waiver, possible?

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
Age waiver, possible?
I believe so, but I don't know how readily available they are

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Generally those that are picked for the STA-21 or go to the Academy program have quals at school that have that recommended on their qual sheet by the chief.... also those that are picked are generally from the very top of the class..in other words, you are the BEST and the command agrees and recommends you. It is highly competitive so being at least the top 3 in your class will help. You can apply and pretty much any time in your career as long as it is on your quals that the navy thinks you would be a good candidate.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Agg33

Another question. I was stupid my senior year of high school, and I smoked some green stuff (please don't rag on me, it was the wrong choice, and I'm not making any excuses for it). It was only a few times, like 4-5, and only for a short period (~1-1.5 months). I have no intention of lying about it, but I am worried about getting in the nuclear field because of a stupid mistake in high school. What do I need to worry about?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
rbmorgan

rbmorgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
There are some older posts on here explaining the the acceptance rate for nukes into STA-21 is really high.

I don't know anything about where the stress comes from, other than I hear there are constant qualifications that need sigs, both in school and in the fleet, so I imagine that is stressful. But I am still a I'll have a better idea in a few months. I leave for RTC next week!
I leave as a nuke next week too on the 12th, when do you leave?

DEP date: 20140114
Ship date: 20140812
rbmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote