NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Pass In Review (Graduation)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough
Default What Is Grad Day (PIR) Liberty?

Rules for Recruits on Liberty
LIBERTY INFORMATION
Liberty is ?time off? from the daily routine. Graduating Sailors will be granted liberty to go off-base during the day with their families. Graduating Sailors may not smoke, drive, or consume alcoholic beverages while on liberty.

Graduating Sailors must stay within a 50-mile radius of RTC.

Graduating Sailors must remain in their complete uniform while on liberty. If they are engaging in physical activity or swimming, they must be in authorized PT gear.

Liberty expires at 2100 in the Sailor's berthing compartment, on Friday and Saturday evenings, and 2000 on Sunday evening.
No overnight liberty is authorized.

Families my pick-up and drop-off graduating Sailors for liberty from the designated site at MCPON Hall. Due to security checks and transit time, please allow ample time for graduating Sailors to walk back to their assigned ship prior to the end of liberty.

Graduating Sailors departing RTC for follow-on training the same day as graduation or in a duty status will be granted limited on-base liberty.

Graduating Sailors receive an in-depth liberty briefing prior to their graduation day.
________
Coach handbags

Last edited by sweetmtn; 05-08-2011 at 02:40 AM.
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
flipmom

flipmom is on a distinguished road

Bump this up, for our Deppers and their families!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
KryptoMom

KryptoMom is on a distinguished road

This is really good information ... Thank you so much for explaining this.

Kim
Old 09-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
NavyBoii

NavyBoii is on a distinguished road

Whats the guidelines for Drinking alcohol and smoking during liberty? I have a fellow depper who is curious.
NavyBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
cttaef21

cttaef21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBoii View Post
Whats the guidelines for Drinking alcohol and smoking during liberty? I have a fellow depper who is curious.
No alcohol...Supposed to be no smoking as well, but it seems like that one isn't followed as much...Definitely no alcohol though, if they suspect you have been drinking, they will send you to medical to have a test done...Definitely not worth it...If you have gone 8 weeks without it, you can wait an extra week or two until your training command allows it.
cttaef21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
NavyBoii

Yeah definitely wouldn't want to take the risk it. Thanks for clearing things up!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
jdAECF

jdAECF is on a distinguished road

My gf is planning on coming out for graduation weekend. When she read that I had to stay in uniform she got all worrie that we couldn't share any "intimate" time hahaha. I told her if I'm spending 9 weeks in a uniform, I'm damn well going to take it off for a couple hours with her :p
jdAECF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
NavyBoii

Thats hilarious! haha when do you ship?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
jdAECF

jdAECF is on a distinguished road

October 4th! So soon... Excited to be a part of the navy, but not excited to give days of my time to the dentist chair.
jdAECF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
NavyBoii

Thats awesome! and i know how you feel i still have my wisdom teeth too it's going to suck so bad to get them removed.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdAECF View Post
October 4th! So soon... Excited to be a part of the navy, but not excited to give days of my time to the dentist chair.
I heard from one sailor that recruits actually like going to the dentist because you can sleep while you're in the chair, lol.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
NavyBoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
I heard from one sailor that recruits actually like going to the dentist because you can sleep while you're in the chair, lol.
I can see how that would be an upside haha. i heard once you get your wisdom teeth pulled (if needed) you get a couple days to just rest so i'm sure a lot of people look forward to that despite the pain.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
cttaef21

Quote:
I can see how that would be an upside haha. i heard once you get your wisdom teeth pulled (if needed) you get a couple days to just rest so i'm sure a lot of people look forward to that despite the pain.
I got mine pulled on a wednesday at like 1400...I slept from then until I woke up for late chow at 1900(couldn't go with the division because i was still bleeding) and then ate some jello, came back and slept until taps, woke up for taps and then ate breakfast(liquids again), come back and slept, chow again, etc...On thursday, I slept for roughly 21 hours...The vicodin knocks you out but after those SIQ days you feel so rejuvenated...Rest of boot camp I didn't have that super tired feeling that alot of people get...Never had to worry about falling asleep anywhere
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
NavyBoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttaef21 View Post
I got mine pulled on a wednesday at like 1400...I slept from then until I woke up for late chow at 1900(couldn't go with the division because i was still bleeding) and then ate some jello, came back and slept until taps, woke up for taps and then ate breakfast(liquids again), come back and slept, chow again, etc...On thursday, I slept for roughly 21 hours...The vicodin knocks you out but after those SIQ days you feel so rejuvenated...Rest of boot camp I didn't have that super tired feeling that alot of people get...Never had to worry about falling asleep anywhere
Glad to hear that! i'm 90% sure ill need to get mine pulled when i go to RTC.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
cttaef21

Quote:
Glad to hear that! i'm 90% sure ill need to get mine pulled when i go to RTC.
Do they give you pain at all?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #16
F/S-MARodriguez

F/S-MARodriguez is on a distinguished road

Anyone know if we're allowed to go to Chicago? It's only 37 miles from RTC according to google maps so we should be ok, right?
F/S-MARodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by F/S-MARodriguez View Post
Anyone know if we're allowed to go to Chicago? It's only 37 miles from RTC according to google maps so we should be ok, right?
Yes, you can. We took the train.
You'll be done with PIR by noon, or closer to 3 if youre moving across the street for A School.
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
NavyBoii

Quote:
Do they give you pain at all?
Not all the time but on occasion.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
cttaef21

Quote:
As long as you are not a grad n go to San Antonio, then you will be able to go...Take the train that is right next to base...It's cheaper, no traffic to deal with, and parking is impossible in Chicago...If you don't leave until Sunday, Saturday would be the best time to go because you get more liberty time.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
F/S-MARodriguez

F/S-MARodriguez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As long as you are not a grad n go to San Antonio, then you will be able to go...Take the train that is right next to base...It's cheaper, no traffic to deal with, and parking is impossible in Chicago...If you don't leave until Sunday, Saturday would be the best time to go because you get more liberty time.
My A-school is in San Antonio does that mean I'll automatically be grad n go?
F/S-MARodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
cttaef21

Quote:
My A-school is in San Antonio does that mean I'll automatically be grad n go?
No, I said San Antonio because i saw you were on MA...I was just trying to say that sometimes you could be grad n go but you can also leave Saturday or Sunday...It just depends
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
USNADrs

USNADrs is on a distinguished road

When it says no smoking,does that apply to just smoking?Or is it a general rule for no tobacco use at all?
USNADrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
culp7

culp7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNADrs View Post
When it says no smoking,does that apply to just smoking?Or is it a general rule for no tobacco use at all?
lol im sure dippin aint going to be a real big deal...
culp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

Doing without tobacco for 9 weeks would seem to me a real good opportunity to start doing without it forever. You will stay healthier, age better, and you can save all the money you would have spent on it to buy yourself something real nice in a few years.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
Doing without tobacco for 9 weeks would seem to me a real good opportunity to start doing without it forever. You will stay healthier, age better, and you can save all the money you would have spent on it to buy yourself something real nice in a few years.
I agree. I never understood why people go back to tobacco after 9+ weeks to break the addiction.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
bevans988

bevans988 is on a distinguished road

Understanding there are no definite answers until they get their orders, are there any general guidelines on what to expect for liberty and flying out after a PIR when there's a federal holiday on Monday?

For example, my daughter's PIR is Friday 9 Nov. Monday the 12th is the observed federal holiday for Veterans Day. Is she still likely to fly out on the 10th, or might the federal holiday mean a different fly date for her? And if so, might she have liberty that Saturday?
bevans988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevans988 View Post
Understanding there are no definite answers until they get their orders, are there any general guidelines on what to expect for liberty and flying out after a PIR when there's a federal holiday on Monday?

For example, my daughter's PIR is Friday 9 Nov. Monday the 12th is the observed federal holiday for Veterans Day. Is she still likely to fly out on the 10th, or might the federal holiday mean a different fly date for her? And if so, might she have liberty that Saturday?
Knowing the navy and how they try to find flights they can fill up with several new sailors...that one might not be very full...my guess would be they very well could ship her then.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
Sbrennan188

Sbrennan188 is on a distinguished road

Stupid question, but how do i know if im a grad-n-go?
Sbrennan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrennan188 View Post
Stupid question, but how do i know if im a grad-n-go?
You wont until shortly before you graduate.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #30
bevans988

bevans988 is on a distinguished road

So it turned out she did not get an extra day of liberty. They flew out today (Saturday), per usual.

In fact, the group that was flying to Pensacola on the 1220 flight left Great Lakes for Midway at 0030. Yikes! Daughter called us around 0230 and told us where they'd be. We met her in the ticketing area around 0430 and got a gate pass so we got to spend the morning with her until she had to board.

It was absolutely wonderful to be with her again and see what a fine sailor she's become.

bevans988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #31
Jjw1125

Jjw1125 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdAECF View Post
My gf is planning on coming out for graduation weekend. When she read that I had to stay in uniform she got all worrie that we couldn't share any "intimate" time hahaha. I told her if I'm spending 9 weeks in a uniform, I'm damn well going to take it off for a couple hours with her :p
I believe it is in uniform when in view of the public. If you are going to a hotel room, who is to say "intimate"time can't take place... I'm sure that is a common activity for graduates. haha.
Jjw1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #32
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjw1125 View Post
I believe it is in uniform when in view of the public. If you are going to a hotel room, who is to say "intimate"time can't take place... I'm sure that is a common activity for graduates. haha.
Yep, they just care when you're in public view.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #33
SailorWSanchez

SailorWSanchez is on a distinguished road

Do sailors get the weekend off if A school is outside of Great Lakes. I have heard to many thing can some one explain the way it's up to date plz
SailorWSanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #34
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorWSanchez View Post
Do sailors get the weekend off if A school is outside of Great Lakes. I have heard to many thing can some one explain the way it's up to date plz
No. You'll get Friday, and then get on the bus for the airport between 0100 and 0600 Saturday morning.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote