NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Space_Elf

Space_Elf is on a distinguished road
Default Bible/Address Book

I've been told by a few people that bringing an address book is a great idea, but that sometimes the RDCs make you send them home. Several people have told me that the better bet is to bring a bible or religious text and write down names/addresses/phone numbers in there and slide in some stamps because they let you keep the bible.

is there any truth to this?

If there is... what exactly counts as a religious text? Philosophy? Is there a size requirement? Does it make a difference that I'm not actually religious? I mean, religion is such a touchy subject I don't want to rock the boat or anything... any advice would be appreciated.
Space_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

A pocket Bible (or another specifically religious text) is the perfect smuggling tool. It is specifically allowed for you to bring one small copy of such a thing. And the fact that it's a touchy subject means you don't have to be the least bit genuinely religious, because the RDC can't very well make you justify having one by interrogating you on your knowledge of scripture. Do be aware that if you run into anyone seriously devout, they might be offended by your "defacing" their holy text. So don't pick a Quran. Really.

Unfortunately, no other literature would work for this. Philosophy is near to my heart as well, but a copy of Plato's Republic doesn't make the Navy's protected list. Maybe you could try with Sun Tzu's Art of War, though...

At my MEPS, in the ceremonial swearing-in room, there was a stack of desert camo pocket Bibles about the size of a large index card, in a box labeled "Free Bibles, please take one!". (I have to say I was quite annoyed by this obvious favoritism.) The Bible being the single most printed book in history, you should not have the slightest difficulty finding this size before you ship.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Space_Elf

Thanks, that was precisely what I wanted to know. I wish i could get away with a nice philosophy book, if I could I'd find a pocket edition of Hagakure or something...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
fsRizer

fsRizer is on a distinguished road

MEPS Raleigh had them in Naval camo
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
hellokitty

hellokitty is on a distinguished road

I put all my address in Excel, printed it out, cut off all the excess paper, and slid it in my wallet. Takes up a lot less space than a Bible

http://www.ehow.com/how_4761282_crea...ook-excel.html
Old 04-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

I keep a piece of paper with important phone numbers in my wallet to this day. You can also keep a regular address book, so long as it is small (pocket size) and fits in your A&B Drawer. I had one in boot and it had my addresses in it, and I drew up a calendar (to count down days to grad) on the first Sunday we could write letters and wrote down a little diary of every day in boot camp in the back in the notes section of it. I still have it somewhere....
Old 04-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Duct

Duct is on a distinguished road

I got away with bringing a religious book that isn't a bible. I'd think if you bring any book that is small and looks old and/or is leather-bound, you'll be just fine. If anyone questions you, just state that it's your religious text. To be honest, no one besides my shipmates ever realized the book I brought isn't a bible.
Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct View Post
I got away with bringing a religious book that isn't a bible. I'd think if you bring any book that is small and looks old and/or is leather-bound, you'll be just fine. If anyone questions you, just state that it's your religious text. To be honest, no one besides my shipmates ever realized the book I brought isn't a bible.
So... what was it?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Space_Elf

Exactly how big is too big? I'm having lots of trouble locating something that is "pocket size". The book I've got is 4in by 6in, but it's on the tick side (1 and 3/4 inches). Is that too big?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
hellokitty

hellokitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Elf View Post
Exactly how big is too big? I'm having lots of trouble locating something that is "pocket size". The book I've got is 4in by 6in, but it's on the tick side (1 and 3/4 inches). Is that too big?
It sounds like you don't even really want the bible, just a place to keep your stamps and addresses. You get to keep your wallet, just put them in there.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

You can find "pocket size" bibles in most book stores..however it will only be the New Testament...not a complete with the Old. I have several and they are about the size of a deck of cards. You can even ask your church if they have any...as that is where I got mine for my sons that went in the military.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote