NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
holliann7

holliann7 is on a distinguished road
Default Just graduated! :)

Just graduated yesterday! In San Antonio awaiting my departure to Corpsman school. Any questions? I will do my best to help!
holliann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
rac

rac is on a distinguished road

Congrats! How were the IT sessions? Any stupid mistakes to avoid doing at the beginning? I leave August so I have a while but thank you for offering a Q and A.

I fix airplanes sometimes. I know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing.
rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
krystaljoycee

krystaljoycee is on a distinguished road

do you know any GSE's in your division?

how are the marchings? I heard it's like 10 miles

and how was the overall experience?

congratulations btw
krystaljoycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
rac

rac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystaljoycee View Post
do you know any GSE's in your division?

how are the marchings? I heard it's like 10 miles

and how was the overall experience?

congratulations btw
Wow the Navy has marches? I never heard about that till today.

I fix airplanes sometimes. I know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing.
rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=krystaljoycee;26748]how are the marchings? I heard it's like 10 miles/QUOTE]

That's about 9.5 miles more than I ever marched at RTC. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac View Post
Wow the Navy has marches? I never heard about that till today.
Furthest you'll ever march is from your ship to the firefighting building... that's maybe a mile, on the other side of RTC.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
geeMA

geeMA is on a distinguished road

well, my division we marched in circles around the base for couple of hours.
geeMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
holliann7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac View Post
Congrats! How were the IT sessions? Any stupid mistakes to avoid doing at the beginning? I leave August so I have a while but thank you for offering a Q and A.
Hello! The IT sessions are hard but just DON'T give up... they just don't wanna see you give up, that's all they want. No matter how out of shape you are.

And just don't ask stupid questions, do what you're told.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
nikkiv6

nikkiv6 is on a distinguished road

well thats good to know!
nikkiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
PacificSunrise

PacificSunrise is on a distinguished road

900 division! Hoping to be in one!! Extra work? I don't mind!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise View Post
If they ask you during indoc (or the first night you get to boot camp) if you play any instruments, sing, do flags, was in ROTC, etc.. and you want to be in a 900 division, say YES. Keep in mind that 900 divisions will end up staying in boot camp a week or so longer than other divisions (at least when I went through)

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
holliann7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise View Post

It is extra work but it depends on how you look at it. RTC is set on a competetive basis. Divisions compete against one another for high scores. To my understanding, the 900 divisions don't spend much time focussing on earning those scores, and they focus on their drill. I spent a majority of my time at RTC working towards hall of fame.

The first night you get to RTC, during the in-processing (which you'll stay awake for about 45 hours straight, just so you know), an RDC (a petty officer or chief) will be walking around asking if you have experience in drill, or can play a musical instrument. When they ask that, tell them that you do. Those RDC's are looking for people to be in a 900 division. 900 divisons perform at graduations and go out in the city to appear in parades and things like that.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
SENavyDude

SENavyDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliann7 View Post
Just graduated yesterday! In San Antonio awaiting my departure to Corpsman school. Any questions? I will do my best to help!
I just want to say congratulations!
SENavyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
holliann7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENavyDude View Post
I just want to say congratulations!
Thank you
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
cjtarverful

cjtarverful is on a distinguished road

So did you get to keep your phone during boot camp? I went through in march 2011 and we didn't but I'm hearing rumors you get to now
cjtarverful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Do they start shoehorning recruits into a 900 division if they don't have enough volunteers to fill it? I'm not exactly itching for extra demands on my time, but I would be sharp enough for drill team.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #16
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Do they start shoehorning recruits into a 900 division if they don't have enough volunteers to fill it? I'm not exactly itching for extra demands on my time, but I would be sharp enough for drill team.
No. At least, not for Triple Threat, which is the division that provides music and drill. They don't want someone who doesn't know what they're doing in Triple Threat because that division has a rather large responsibility for PIR and if they sound or look bad, the reviewing officer is NOT happy, not to mention it looks bad on the Navy in front of all the parents. We practiced once per week for about a month before our first PIR performance. Then we were in the drill hall four times each week, each time being inspected by the RO and other drill hall staff to make sure we didn't suck.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamayamaa View Post
No. At least, not for Triple Threat, which is the division that provides music and drill. They don't want someone who doesn't know what they're doing in Triple Threat because that division has a rather large responsibility for PIR and if they sound or look bad, the reviewing officer is NOT happy, not to mention it looks bad on the Navy in front of all the parents. We practiced once per week for about a month before our first PIR performance. Then we were in the drill hall four times each week, each time being inspected by the RO and other drill hall staff to make sure we didn't suck.
Band practices in boot camp. That was definitely a nice little break lol except their instruments you had to use sucked. I got my trombone shipped to me during A school at Great Lakes when I was in the base band there. Not sure if it's the same guy running the band now, but the band director officer dude hated drum corps, so I had to bring it up as much as possible. lol

Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
holliann7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtarverful View Post
So did you get to keep your phone during boot camp? I went through in march 2011 and we didn't but I'm hearing rumors you get to now
Haha no. That goes home in 'the box' which is what you put all your civilian clothes in when you get to RTC. You have 2 minutes to call your parents or loved ones and tell them that you made it safely. Then your next phone call is 5 minutes long and is in he third week of training. This is subject to change though, you can lose that privilege. It's not as bad as it sounds though!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
djhaugen

djhaugen is on a distinguished road

I have a million and a half questions but I'll stick with a couple. FIRST: what was the swim requirements and process like? (I don't know how to swim yet.)
SECOND: did all the females cut their hair? (Not a deal breaker)
djhaugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhaugen View Post
I have a million and a half questions but I'll stick with a couple. FIRST: what was the swim requirements and process like? (I don't know how to swim yet.)
You will be taught to swim and you will need to pass the swimming test to graduate.

Everyone cuts their hair unless your hair is so short that you dont need to cut it, but chances are you will need to cut it at some point

Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
djhaugen

djhaugen is on a distinguished road

Thank you! It is decided. Off with my hair its already dead anyway.
Swimming:I will be learning before I leave but I wasn't sure if there was a certain area I should focus on. (Strokes, time, etc.) At least I know how to float.
djhaugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
cire

Quote:
Thank you! It is decided. Off with my hair its already dead anyway.
Swimming:I will be learning before I leave but I wasn't sure if there was a certain area I should focus on. (Strokes, time, etc.) At least I know how to float.
Don't need to float but you will need to know how to stay afloat. front stroke I believe is all you will need to know... maybe side? You will need to be able to swim the length of a pool and in a certain amount of time I think, but it's nothing that hard. You will also need to be able to jump off a tower into the water which is about 10 stories high.

Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #23
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
You will also need to be able to jump off a tower into the water which is about 10 stories high.
LOL....it isnt 10 stories high...as that would be like 120 feet up! It is about a 30 foot platform jump..nothing bad. They use a standard 10 meter diving platform....maybe you meant 10 meters...it is meant to represent a jump from the ship into the ocean.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
holliann7

Quote:

First: If you can swim, don't worry about the swim test. Honestly, it's easy if you can swim. You jump of a 10 foot platform and swim 50 yards and you get to choose the stroke you use. It's simple. Just don't panic when you jump off the platform. I would suggest learning before you go. Even if you fail the first time, you can go get lessons throughout boot camp. But it's 2 or 3 times a day, and it uses up a lot of time and you miss out on other divisional events like classes and drill practice. You have to pass the swim and prone before battle stations in order to graduate with your division. If you learn before you should be all set though

And yes, all the females get their hair cut. It has to be above the collar. For some reason, the Navy is the only branch that makes females cut their hari in boot camp. But after boot camp you are allowed to grow it out and put it in a bun. I don't mind the short hair. Honestly, it's easier to maintain, and having a tight bun of wet hair all the time would cause moldy hair. And that would be worse then an uneven haircut.
I'm glad it's not a deal breaker, because here at A school, a lot of Air Force girls have told me that that's why they chose the Air Forcer over the Navy... The haircuts! It's only hair, and it'll grow back It's definitley worth it!