NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Dianakit12
**Active Duty**

Dianakit12 will become famous soon enough
Default just finished bootcamp :)

If you have any questions, I'll gladly try to help! :3
Dianakit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
kayleeeileen

kayleeeileen is on a distinguished road

How was it?! And how was your PT experience. I know pretty much all I need to as far as my START guide. But PT is my enemy I am not overweight just my wekness is PT. How much did you work out each day? And what were the hardest parts?
kayleeeileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the "other side" SAILOR!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Dianakit12
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleeeileen View Post
How was it?! And how was your PT experience. I know pretty much all I need to as far as my START guide. But PT is my enemy I am not overweight just my wekness is PT. How much did you work out each day? And what were the hardest parts?
Overall, it was pretty fun. I mean, I had my fair share of getting yelled at and all, but it wasn't horrible. The PT was hard for me (I was sent into FIT because I failed my final PFA) but you work out in some way every day. It can be in the compartment or at Freedom Hall. I prefered Freedom Hall because it gave us a chance to run and actually work out as compared to just doing stuff in the compartment. It's usually an hour to two hours as far as the length of it goes. PT was the hardest part... otherwise, just listen and you'll do great

And thank you Sweetmtm!! ^_^
Old 08-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back, Sailor! How long did you stick around in GL after PIR before they sent you to Pensacola?

(You're in Pensacola, right?)

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Dianakit12
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Welcome back, Sailor! How long did you stick around in GL after PIR before they sent you to Pensacola?

(You're in Pensacola, right?)
All planes to Pensacola are on hold right now. No one's leaving -.- We dunno how long we're gonna be here, but thank you (:
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianakit12 View Post
All planes to Pensacola are on hold right now. No one's leaving -.- We dunno how long we're gonna be here, but thank you (:
Oh damn, didn't even think of that! So everyone is just sitting around up at GL?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Dreman

Dreman is on a distinguished road

Congrats!
Dreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
NavyPrincess

NavyPrincess is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the other side Sailor.
NavyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
cttaef21

cttaef21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They just brought us back to base today, so you should be on your way soon...THU is so fun right?
cttaef21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
LENNY0861

LENNY0861 is on a distinguished road

let me know how AM school was My son is going to do that rate
LENNY0861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
mfarr13

mfarr13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To prepare for PT, the best would be to do about 40 pushups and 60 situps a day, and run for about 2 miles. If you do this 5 or 6 times a week, you should be fine. Start slowly e.g. 10 pushups and 15 situps, and slowly work up to the numbers above. You will find that in bootcamp, due to training and healthy diet, you will easily exceed these numbers provided you have trained before. Just my 2 cents...
mfarr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
kayleeeileen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarr13 View Post
To prepare for PT, the best would be to do about 40 pushups and 60 situps a day, and run for about 2 miles. If you do this 5 or 6 times a week, you should be fine. Start slowly e.g. 10 pushups and 15 situps, and slowly work up to the numbers above. You will find that in bootcamp, due to training and healthy diet, you will easily exceed these numbers provided you have trained before. Just my 2 cents...
I do work out and run, but I leave in 30 days so I still worry I won't be ready. But I think I am just overthinking it.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
kayleeeileen

Quote:
Overall, it was pretty fun. I mean, I had my fair share of getting yelled at and all, but it wasn't horrible. The PT was hard for me (I was sent into FIT because I failed my final PFA) but you work out in some way every day. It can be in the compartment or at Freedom Hall. I prefered Freedom Hall because it gave us a chance to run and actually work out as compared to just doing stuff in the compartment. It's usually an hour to two hours as far as the length of it goes. PT was the hardest part... otherwise, just listen and you'll do great

And thank you Sweetmtm!! ^_^
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. =]
Old 09-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
LENNY0861

My son wanted to know how the bathroom situation is do the stalls have doors, ETC. when i was in the AF we had a dorm guard every 2 hours you would switch with another Do you have that? how did they schedule this?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
cttaef21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENNY0861 View Post
My son wanted to know how the bathroom situation is do the stalls have doors, ETC. when i was in the AF we had a dorm guard every 2 hours you would switch with another Do you have that? how did they schedule this?
Stalls have shower curtains as doors...The showers are half the division going at a time and you have about 5-7 minutes to dress down, shower, dry, and redress...and yes someone will be on watch at all times...There is always a rover, during the day there is one from 0800-1200, 1200-1600, and then every two hours after that, after taps there will also be a nightwatch on 2 hour shifts...The only time there will not be a watch in the compartment is if there is a mandatory event(live fire, fire fighting, battlestations)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
LENNY0861

so if you have 80 squad menmbers you will use about 10 per day to be watch that equal 70 a week times @ 8 weeks is 560 watches divided by the 80 means you will pull on watch per week. Am I correct? Who chooses the times and schedules this? I would assume you would want early watch or daytime watch if possible Getting up at 2 am must have been brutal, but if I am right at least its only once a week.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
so if you have 80 squad menmbers you will use about 10 per day to be watch that equal 70 a week times @ 8 weeks is 560 watches divided by the 80 means you will pull on watch per week. Am I correct? Who chooses the times and schedules this? I would assume you would want early watch or daytime watch if possible Getting up at 2 am must have been brutal, but if I am right at least its only once a week.
Except there are multiple watches at the same time. You can expect to be on watch multiple times per week. And watch continues once you're in the fleet. Sometimes twice a day on duty days (with duty days being every 3-8 days depending on the size of the ship). Also the duty schedule rotates, so you don't always have days, or you don't always have nights.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
LENNY0861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Except there are multiple watches at the same time. You can expect to be on watch multiple times per week. And watch continues once you're in the fleet. Sometimes twice a day on duty days (with duty days being every 3-8 days depending on the size of the ship). Also the duty schedule rotates, so you don't always have days, or you don't always have nights.
Thats alot different from My AF days once basic was over all that stuff was behind Us, Navy is alot different from deploying etc. As we were always on base free to come and go as we pleased I basically worked 9-5 M-f and since my home was 100 miles away I went home everyweekend. One thing is my son goes in as AM but is in the reserves, I am still trying to figure out what he will do since there is no Navy base within 250 miles of us, I guess he will drill with the Marine REserves, as he never got a straight answer on that
Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

The ships always have to have enough people on board that they could pull out of port with no notice in an emergency. The different watches are to keep the ship 24/7. Obviously, it's different underway than in port, but the same basic idea applies.
On duty days, you stay onboard for 24 hours and stand whatever watches you have that day. If its not your duty day, you're free to go as soon as the work day is over.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
cttaef21

Quote:
The division will have a port and starboard watch that will make up the watchbill...Having a good watchbill can get you bravo zulu and mistakes can get compartment hits, so the rover(the only one who writes in the watchbill)is typically someone who is good at keeping the watchbill free of mistakes..after a few weeks at RTC, our division got a group of people who were good at it and we would just rotate the watches...I ended up having watch every other day, but usually got 2000-2200 which I thought was the best because you don't lose sleep because you get off right at taps.

Everyone who was not part of that 15 man group of rovers would have to stand nightwatch which runs from taps until reveille......Some people never really had to stand watch, some people had to wake up in the middle of the night frequently...The RDC's liked to make people stand nightwatch if they had been screwing up lately
Old 09-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
mfarr13

mfarr13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I do work out and run, but I leave in 30 days so I still worry I won't be ready. But I think I am just overthinking it.
If you work out and run, you should be fine!
mfarr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
ajfederio

ajfederio is on a distinguished road

way to go. im leaving october first. any words of advice for working out and training before shipping out? what was so hard about the pt to you?
ajfederio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #24
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road

How often do we get to talk to people in our division? I'm thinking we'd have Sunday routine to do that but are there other times we would be able to just chat to people about where they're from and stuff?

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
warehimer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
NavyBoii

NavyBoii is on a distinguished road

I heard at night after your RDC's leave a lot of people talk. I'm not certain though.
NavyBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
cttaef21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBoii View Post
I heard at night after your RDC's leave a lot of people talk. I'm not certain though.
Like a bunch of 13 year old girls......Most people get up and shine shoes and stuff too but you have to be careful for the OOD coming in...They will yell and scream but not much else besides that...I never really had watch between taps and reveille so I took advantage of the time to sleep...One of the first ones out every night...and some people would fall asleep in every class and wonder why they were so tired every day, maybe it has something to do with you staying up for hours every night talking!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #27
cttaef21

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehimer33 View Post
How often do we get to talk to people in our division? I'm thinking we'd have Sunday routine to do that but are there other times we would be able to just chat to people about where they're from and stuff?
It depends on your RDC's mainly...We did good in all areas, so we had some more leniency...During our downtime, people talked a lot and as long as the noise level wasn't too high, then the RDC's never said anything...As long as you know how to whisper or talk softly, you have opportunites to talk...but some RDC's are different...It just depends. You'll just have to judge your environment to see if its acceptable or not
Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #28
jjwalker69

jjwalker69 is on a distinguished road

What were the classes during the day like? Were they like high school classes where the instructor is extremely strict or is it more lenient and self paced?
jjwalker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
cttaef21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwalker69 View Post
What were the classes during the day like? Were they like high school classes where the instructor is extremely strict or is it more lenient and self paced?
mostly all powerpoint...some were self paced on the computer, some were taught by a petty officer...Some of them were laid back and fun, some were more strict...Just depends on who is your instructor
Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #30
jjwalker69

jjwalker69 is on a distinguished road

gotcha. i heard everything is in one building now like where we sleep, the galley, and the classrooms. is this true?
jjwalker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #31
cttaef21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwalker69 View Post
gotcha. i heard everything is in one building now like where we sleep, the galley, and the classrooms. is this true?
somewhat...there were classrooms and the galley in my ship(ship 11) but you won't take all of your classes there...Firefighting, seamanship, pistol, and even some other classes were out of ship...You will march every day more than likely