NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of
Default Cold winter

So I am a deep south boy, born in New Orleans then moved to Los Angeles for some years then back to New Orleans; I now live in North Carolina. As you could imagine, I am used to very mild winters and never had any snow till the last few years living in North Carolina, but even then it was very short lived. I am shipping to Great Lakes in the middle of January and am bracing myself for my coldest winter yet. I know that I will be issued everything that I need, my question is what will I be wearing on a daily basis at RTC to keep warm? Also, I know that my uniform cost al lcomes out of my check, how much is that exactly and is it all taken out of my first check?
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
acgreen

acgreen is on a distinguished road

Even though I am from Ohio, with a little colder winters than you are describing, I am still a little concerned about this as well. I ship out in January also, which is when winter is at its worst up here. And since boot camp is right off the lakes, it will most likely be even more miserable than I've become used to over the years. So, out of curiosity, I will involve myself in this thread. (:
(Gunner's Mate
acgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I haven't shipped yet either, but I've found stuff by looking around online.

Specifically, you can find the uniform regulations here: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/default.aspx

The relevant part for RTC is probably the working uniform. The cold weather stuff appears to be listed under prescribable/optional.

So with the NWO, cold weather items allowable are :
Coat, Parka (w/Black Fleece Liner)
Cap, Knit (Watch) Black
Mockneck, Black
Boot, Black, Rough Out 9" (Men)
Earmuffs (w/Outergarment Only)
Gloves, Black Leather

And with the PT Uniform:
Cap, Ball
Cap, Knit (Watch)
Shirt, PTU (Long Sleeve), Gold
Shorts, Compression, Navy Blue/Black
Shirt, Sweat Navy
Pant, Sweat, Navy

And so on and so forth (the service uniform has a peacoat instead of a parka, and you can also have a scarf or a v-neck sweater).

Now, I don't know costs or if you buy all of it at once (or even if all of it's mandatory), but I hope that helps.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

At RTC, you gotta suck up the cold. They tell you EXACTLY what to wear and you have NO choice. If its cold turtle neck undershirts are REQUIRED or watchcaps up or down are required, etc.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
sjmcgann

sjmcgann is on a distinguished road

Talk about southern; my sister and I are in Florida! lol We're shooting for May, after my last semester ends, so hopefully it wont be as bad. We've never even seen snow! XD
sjmcgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Cinders

Cinders is on a distinguished road

My son went in Jan. 2010 and it was the biggest snow storm ever, even the RDC couldn't go home and man were they mad. He survived coming from San Diego. They have indoor training they don't want you to turn into a popsicle.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
prop827

As for the uniform allowance, you get your PDay issue (the stuff you get when you get there, like PT gear, razor, etc) and you will pay for those in 2 increments to total about $600. Your 1st and 2nd Uniform issue (1st includes NWU's, Coveralls, NWU coat etc. and 2nd includes NSU's, pea coat, and dress uniforms) you do NOT pay for, they are paid for by the navy. You get an extra uniform allowance (about 200-250) to pay for upkeep (dry cleaning) and replacement uniforms once a year.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
stevebw

stevebw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmcgann View Post
Talk about southern; my sister and I are in Florida! lol We're shooting for May, after my last semester ends, so hopefully it wont be as bad. We've never even seen snow! XD
Who knows maybe canada might steal all our snow again I love the winter and usually prefer it over the heat we've had over the last couple of days.
stevebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
sjmcgann

sjmcgann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebw View Post
Who knows maybe canada might steal all our snow again I love the winter and usually prefer it over the heat we've had over the last couple of days.
Yeah, I think I'd prefer it cold too. Florida heat isn't just hot, it's humid; like the air is trying to kill you in a slow and agonizing way lol Seeing snow would be awesome!
sjmcgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
AVSailor

AVSailor is on a distinguished road

The amount of shit you need to put on in the winter, you aren't going to get to cold haha. But it sucks, more things to use and fold .
AVSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
stevebw

Wonderful..
Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
bbrandon92

bbrandon92 is on a distinguished road

the cost of the initial uniforms are 670 dollars now. we got most of the winter items during the summer as well. Just never wore them. I think the only extra things you get during the winter will be cloth gloves, ear muffs and a scarf. So not that much more.
bbrandon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
buick0067

buick0067 is on a distinguished road

Did they get rid of the all-weather coat? Doesn't hurt my feelings any the parka and pea coat are way cooler!
buick0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
AVSailor

Idr seeing scarfs on a list. I know there is a Ski Mask, and some heavy gloves. And we already got the Hat and the lighter gloves. And then you have the liner for the coat tahts pretty thick. And the turtle neck. Plus you have to wear your shorts under ur uniform the whole time as well
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
buick0067

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSailor View Post
Idr seeing scarfs on a list. I know there is a Ski Mask, and some heavy gloves. And we already got the Hat and the lighter gloves. And then you have the liner for the coat tahts pretty thick. And the turtle neck. Plus you have to wear your shorts under ur uniform the whole time as well
As in your PT shorts? Weird and uncomfortable...
Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
prop827

Yes, in boot you all wear the navy PT shorts under your uniforms the whole time and yes, you are issued a scarf and both thin and thick gloves in uniform issue (you don't pay for those), but the earmuffs, if your RDC has you get them (either everyone will or everyone won't) you have to buy at the NEX for like $3 a pair (its kinda worth it to get 2, they always seem to break when you stow them in your A&B Drawer for some reason)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
AVSailor

Thats stupid. I hope mine doesnt if i got in winter. I hate storing extra shit in my a&b drawer. The more stuff i have to put on, the more i have to get inspected, the more it sucks. (My opinion lol)

& Yeah PT gear under your clothes. you dont notice after awhile. It just sucks when going to the head.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
buick0067

I was told that the uniform allowance is in your first check so you technically pay for it but, the allowance covers it. IS that accurate?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
AVSailor

i have nooo idea to be honest. I never understood that
Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
stevebw

I could be wrong but I think the uniform allowance is the money you get to help pay for cleaning it when you need to. I read it somewhere but don't remember where anymore.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think the uniform allowance is the money you get to help pay for cleaning it when you need to. I read it somewhere but don't remember where anymore.
Your initial uniform allowance is for the uniforms they issue you in boot camp. You will receive the allowance in boot camp then they'll take it all back because they issued you the uniforms. Your yearly allowance after that is to replace uniforms items needed. You will only get a percentage of the allowance until your 3rd or 4th year in the Navy.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
stevebw

Sorry, but I still don't understand what the allowance is really used for. Is the allowance they give you during in boot camp just used to pay for the cost of the uniform? And this only lasts until you graduate from rtc right?

Afterwards, how much are you getting and what is there that may need to be replaced? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #23
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Sorry, but I still don't understand what the allowance is really used for. Is the allowance they give you during in boot camp just used to pay for the cost of the uniform? And this only lasts until you graduate from rtc right?

Afterwards, how much are you getting and what is there that may need to be replaced? Thanks!
It's a 1 time allowance to cover the costs of uniforms when in boot camp. You will then get it once a year on your anniversary of coming into the Navy to replace items you need or that need replaced. I think for the first few yearly payments it's only around $200ish.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
AVSailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
It's a 1 time allowance to cover the costs of uniforms when in boot camp. You will then get it once a year on your anniversary of coming into the Navy to replace items you need or that need replaced. I think for the first few yearly payments it's only around $200ish.
What if you are discharged and re enlist? lol
Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
prop827

You get a uniform allowance to help pay for cleaning and replacement uniforms. You get it once a year, and you will get it in boot. And btw, A&B drawers can be inspected by RDCs for contraband, but they are NOT inspectable during your standard inspections, they are personal use drawers. Its where you store all your personal gear (soap, letters, wallets, bibles, etc)