NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
SailorShelby

SailorShelby is on a distinguished road
Default Peanut Butter/Penicillin shot?

Alright, so I hear talk of a "peanut butter" shot at basic. An extremely thick liquid that requires a very large needle I've heard it called a penicillin, Gamma Globulin, and a Bicillin shot. I've read various things about it, some people say it is still given and some people say no they do not give it any longer. I've heard that it goes in your butt and that its extremely painful! What is this shot, and do they still give it? I know this is the last thing I should be worrying about lol, but I just want to be fully prepared and aware.
SailorShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

Far as I have heard, it is Penicillin. And yes they still do it.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Yup...still give it!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Yeah you'll get the peanut butter shot. Don't remember what it is thats in it. It hurts a little when you get it and its sore for a couple days but it's not that bad. People just seem to hype it up. You all just bend over around a gurney and about 6 of you get it at a time and then its all over. Its really not that bad, don't you worry. This is boot camp we're talking about, don't sweat the small stuff, trust me.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Laworlo

I was excited to hear that it was Penicillin originally, because I have been allergic to it since infancy. However, while getting med waivers, they ran an blood allergy test and come to find out that I am no longer allergic to any of the antibiotics that I used to be. Thought I was going to get around the Peanut Butter Shot...guess again.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
SailorShelby

Ohhh danggg lol. I have never had a shot back there before. I've given some during my medical assistant training, but never had one lol. How long does it take for them to inject all of it? Since its really thick
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road

Takes about 3 seconds for them to inject everything. However, you are bent over a gurney with 5 of your shipmates, so you try to ignore the pain to avoid embarrassing yourself. Not going to lie, it is NOT a pleasant experience, but its not the worst thing that happens at bootcamp.

By the way, the Navy now administers 2 doses to each recruit during bootcamp; 1 during p-days and another with your 5-2 day vaccinations.

As for needle size, you never see the needle, so it doesn't really matter.
Nuke Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
SailorShelby

You have to get the shot twice? Great lol. What is the 5-2 day vaccinations? Do you get it again at the end of bootcamp?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
depdad

depdad is on a distinguished road

Why is it called the Peanut Butter shot ?
depdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
SailorShelby

Because the liquid is really thick!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
AVSailor

AVSailor is on a distinguished road

Lol i'm just going to close my eyes and breath out. Gotten plenty of shots before, sure i'll get plenty after. Right? :P
AVSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
navygurl413

navygurl413 is on a distinguished road
Default Not too bad

The shot isn't too bad. I got one when I had strep throat (also given by a military doctor). It is very thick and it does hurt a little when getting it. My behind was sore for a few days. I think the soreness was worse than getting the shot.
navygurl413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
prop827

And yes, some of you will get it twice, others won't. My understanding is that the second round of the peanut butter shots is based on the time frame during which you're at boot camp. I only got the initial one. (As it was explained to me, if 5-2 happens after 1DEC but before 1MAY you get the second shot, otherwise you don't; but I don't know how true the dates above are, I just know its something like that from what I've heard). Even if you don't get the peanut butter again, you'll still get a whole second round of OTHER lovely inoculations on 5-2 Day to look forward to!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #14
blueberripie

blueberripie is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
And yes, some of you will get it twice, others won't. My understanding is that the second round of the peanut butter shots is based on the time frame during which you're at boot camp. I only got the initial one. (As it was explained to me, if 5-2 happens after 1DEC but before 1MAY you get the second shot, otherwise you don't; but I don't know how true the dates above are, I just know its something like that from what I've heard). Even if you don't get the peanut butter again, you'll still get a whole second round of OTHER lovely inoculations on 5-2 Day to look forward to!
Is that 5-2 given in your arm? I was told recruits get some kind of shot in the arm with something that looks like an air compressor and you have to stay still or you can do some damage to your arm. I had never heard of that before and thought it was scary talk
blueberripie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
prop827

5-2 and P Day shots are both done with those machines that use compressed air to give you the shot. Its not so bad.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
rivy

rivy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laworlo View Post
I was excited to hear that it was Penicillin originally, because I have been allergic to it since infancy. However, while getting med waivers, they ran an blood allergy test and come to find out that I am no longer allergic to any of the antibiotics that I used to be. Thought I was going to get around the Peanut Butter Shot...guess again.
I don't know if I'm allergic to penicillin. Which made me freak out a bit.
Many of my relatives are allergic to penicillin, including my mom and a couple of my siblings.
I would go to an allergy clinic to get an evaluation, but it could cost any where between $375-$900
rivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
AVSailor

AVSailor is on a distinguished road

Honestly i think its bad because you are all hyped up and freaking out over it and everyone's all panicked lol. It hurts but its not like that bad. And sorry but you are going to get it at week 5 too. And i never even saw the needle. Just take a deep breath and 2 seconds later your done.
AVSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
rivy

Oh. Pfft. I don't have a problem with needles and shots. I'm just worried that I may be allergice to penicillin, and I've heard about and witnessed far too many allergic reactions to penicillin.
And I really don't want to have to deal with it
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivy View Post
Oh. Pfft. I don't have a problem with needles and shots. I'm just worried that I may be allergice to penicillin, and I've heard about and witnessed far too many allergic reactions to penicillin.
And I really don't want to have to deal with it
Ask your mom if you were ever on any antibiotics.(guarantee you were at some point in our life)..chances are she will know AND which ones! Even your family doctor would know if you were....some of the common ones are amoxicillin, clavamox, biomox...if when you were a baby and had to take the liquid, it was pink and tasted like bubble gum...that is amoxicillin or more known by Amoxi Drops...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
rivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Ask your mom if you were ever on any antibiotics.(guarantee you were at some point in our life)..chances are she will know AND which ones! Even your family doctor would know if you were....some of the common ones are amoxicillin, clavamox, biomox...if when you were a baby and had to take the liquid, it was pink and tasted like bubble gum...that is amoxicillin or more known by Amoxi Drops...

Hahah. My mom now remembers. I read the last bit of your reply and immediately knew that I wasn't allergic. As a young toddler they gave me Cefaclor, which resulted in an apparently gross looking yet painless rash. In turn I got to have that delicious pink stuff, and I remember taking that up until I started kindergarten because they thought I had recurring ear infections. Turns out I just had (and still kinda do have) really bad seasonal allergies and my symptoms looked like an ear infection.

Now that I know I'm not allergic, bring on the peanut butt-hurt-- peanut butter... I mean penicillin shot.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
TrooperTaff

TrooperTaff is on a distinguished road

ugh I hate needles

Beachmaster Unit One -Coronado, CA
TrooperTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
Jnewman16

Jnewman16 is on a distinguished road

they do not give you the peanut butter shot on 5-2 day.. .. just your p-4 day.. its not that bad but ppl tend to interact different.. the guy next to me was screaming and crying..and i was fine.. its not that big of a issue..lol.. i graduated from boot 2 weeks ago..so i know for sure you dont get it on your 5-2 day
Jnewman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
AO_Davidson

AO_Davidson is on a distinguished road

lol funny enough this part and the dental part sense i need a little bit done to my teeth are the only two things im truly worried about at bootcamp. but from what i have heard the smaller of a butt you have the less it hurts, also that it forms a ball that you have to sit on your butt and roll around to get it spread. is that true?!?!
AO_Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
stevebw

stevebw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO_Davidson View Post
also that it forms a ball that you have to sit on your butt and roll around to get it spread. is that true?!?!
now you have me terrified
stevebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
Soon to be ABE

Soon to be ABE is on a distinguished road

lol i'm the same way the only thing i'm worried about at rtc is the dental part knowing i have a few cavities, and i got a question for everybody posting on this topic. How many of you guys who are worrying about the shot have tattoos? I bet at least half of you do lol. I have 43 hours worth of tattoos i can care less about a stupid peanut butter shot that lasts literally 2 seconds. Just man up and take the shot and move on with bootcamp.
Soon to be ABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #26
stevebw

stevebw is on a distinguished road

I don't have any tattoos..yet. :-p So I guess that's one less thing to worry about. But I agree, we're just gonna have to man up and take that PB shot. It just stinks to know before-hand and wishing you'd get it over with already.
stevebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
AO_Davidson

AO_Davidson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be ABE View Post
lol i'm the same way the only thing i'm worried about at rtc is the dental part knowing i have a few cavities, and i got a question for everybody posting on this topic. How many of you guys who are worrying about the shot have tattoos? I bet at least half of you do lol. I have 43 hours worth of tattoos i can care less about a stupid peanut butter shot that lasts literally 2 seconds. Just man up and take the shot and move on with bootcamp.
lol sooo true i have a few hours and honestly im more worried about dental part not that shot that only last 3 sec, cause i have 2 root canals that need to be taken care of =/ looks like ill be in sickbay that night...
AO_Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
SailorShelby

I think they are going to rip all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. I only have one thats broken through the gums but recruiters telling me they will most likely take all 4 out because they don't want me to be stuck on a ship and have them start causing problems. I hear from many recruits though that they don't mind having them taken out because they get a couple days rest, and aren't missing out on anything important because so many recruits have them pulled it would be stupid of them to teach something important while so many recruits are not there to learn it. So while we are laying in bed they are all cleaning....thats just what I hear lol
Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #29
Cheyennechaos

Cheyennechaos is on a distinguished road
Default Allergic

Im allergic to it....do you know what I have to take instead, if I have to take anything at all?
Cheyennechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #30
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyennechaos View Post
Im allergic to it....do you know what I have to take instead, if I have to take anything at all?
Have no clue what they would give in its place..BUT MAKE SURE IT IS DOCUMENTED YOUR ALLERGIC!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #31
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

If you are allergic its 60 days worth of antibiotics. So you take a pill twice daily.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #32
Laworlo

I can honestly tell you they still do this shot. You will get it done on the Camp Moffitt (In Processing side) on P-4 day. You will on this day go into the Red Rover building which houses medical and dental and will line up with your sleeves rolled up and go into this P-way and get stuck in each arm twice. Then you hang a left and either 6 or 8 people bend over a gurney and they stick it in your left ass cheek. With this shot in the civilian world, they would inject the gel-ish liquid in as they pulled the needle out...not here. They jab the needle in, your cheek uncontrollably clenches hard and then you limp out of the room. I personally could not sleep on my left side for a solid week. A few were okay, but the vast majority of the division couldn't. Wasn't fun that's for sure.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #33
Cheyennechaos

Cheyennechaos is on a distinguished road
Default Allergy

Yeah, I documented it....anxiously awaiting my med read to come back....thank you very much!
Cheyennechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
jdAECF

jdAECF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Have no clue what they would give in its place..BUT MAKE SURE IT IS DOCUMENTED YOUR ALLERGIC!
Is it necessary to have documented? I know it probabily is... But I don't have the insurance or funds or time to have myself checked out. Before I had a tooth pulled, my dentist had me on amox, and I broke out in a minor rash. She said I wa probabily allergic to it, and if so would be highly allergic to pennicillin. I just don't want to have a servere reaction while in bootcamp and risk getting sent home for it.
jdAECF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #35
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdAECF View Post
Is it necessary to have documented? I know it probabily is... But I don't have the insurance or funds or time to have myself checked out. Before I had a tooth pulled, my dentist had me on amox, and I broke out in a minor rash. She said I wa probabily allergic to it, and if so would be highly allergic to pennicillin. I just don't want to have a servere reaction while in bootcamp and risk getting sent home for it.
Ask your parents if you were ever on any type of pen. when you were little. You can even call your old doctor and see if it might be in your records..if not, well, dont count on them just taking your word for it due to your dentist saying it. You might call your dentist and see if she can document it for you, talk to your recruiter about this soon!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
LSsquillace

LSsquillace is on a distinguished road

Just the thought of shot in my ass....ew
Old 11-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #37
Future Seal

Future Seal is on a distinguished road

since we are on the subject, i notified them at meps that i was allergic to amoxocillin. I should be good to go right???
Future Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #38
TrooperTaff

TrooperTaff is on a distinguished road

Yeah they still do it. And it sucks lol

Beachmaster Unit One -Coronado, CA
TrooperTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #39
jdAECF

jdAECF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Seal View Post
since we are on the subject, i notified them at meps that i was allergic to amoxocillin. I should be good to go right???
yeah you are exempt. ive got fresh knowledge, I graduated yesterday

twice daily pill, 30 days. you also get a dorky red tag to wear with your dog tags.

and I don't know why people are saying things about the air compressors and whatnot? that's not a thing they do. its a manual injection, one for every shot. I has 11 shots total in bootcamp. 7 on day p-2 (I think) and 4 more on 5-2. not pleasant. HMA's aren't good at what they do...
jdAECF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #40
Future Seal

Future Seal is on a distinguished road

Ok cool and congratulations , i have a long wait i dont leave till may.
Future Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
3rdGenSailor

3rdGenSailor is on a distinguished road

Im not really nervous about the shot, when I was younger I had needle phobia and all that, but I grew out of it, but for a reference point, Is the needle about the same size they use when you donate blood? I've given blood twice, first time 1 pint second time 2 pints, and that was a pretty big needle..

"Sailors have the cleanest bodies and the filthiest minds"
-Eleanor Roosevelt

3rdGenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #42
prop827

You never actually see the needle for the peanut butter shot, you just bend over and receive. Its not that bad, trust me.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #43
NavyPrincess

NavyPrincess is on a distinguished road

Morning future Sailors- signed in as my daughter- she's currently at BC- she's had the peanut butter shot- ans she said it wasn't that bad- - thought you all needed to know- once less thing to worry about with BC!!! Happy Easter all-
NavyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #44
F/S-MARodriguez

F/S-MARodriguez is on a distinguished road

The peanut butter shot isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone says it is.
F/S-MARodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #45
FutureSailor24

FutureSailor24 is on a distinguished road

I've heard that with the peanut butter shot, if you rub/massage the area where the shot was given, it cuts down on the amount of time that you will be sore.
FutureSailor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #46
NavyGamecock

NavyGamecock is on a distinguished road

Ive heard the so called PB shot is just a joke. When I was at the MEPs hotel before my physical my roommate told me it was just a joke that I had nothing to worry about. I really don't care if I get one or not but my im wondering why would they give everyone a penicillin shot if they are not sick.. sounds like a waste of penicillin to me
NavyGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #47
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to try to be sarcastic about that, but I couldn't sell it right. Whoever told you the shot is a joke is probably playing one on you.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #48
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Ah, but trust me. You WILL be sick by then. Everyone's sick for the first few weeks because you're getting exposed to the germs that 80+ other people brought with them when they got on the plane and whatever might have got left behind by the last people to sit in that processing room or live in that compartment. It's like daycare times 20. You can almost count getting pink eye at some point.

And that's assuming nothing else breaks out while you're there. I was one of the first to get sick when VGE broke out in January . . .
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #49
NavyPrincess

NavyPrincess is on a distinguished road

The PB shot sucks. I ended up getting three of them during my marvelous 4 month stay at RTC.
NavyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #50
MA_Henken

MA_Henken is on a distinguished road

I graduated BC about 4 months ago and to be honest the PB shot wasn't that bad at all, actually me the 5 other guys from my div that got it at the same time were giggling and laughing as we limped out of the room lol petty officers were yelling at us to stop laughing and to "walk normal". Mine just caught me by surprise, I felt the needle and was like, that wasn't so bad but then boom hahaha but all in all wasn't bad at all, and we only got 1 PB shot
MA_Henken is offline   Reply With Quote