NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
clk128

clk128 is on a distinguished road
Default Kosher in Bootcamp

I got to MEPS on the 6th, and I've talked to my recruiter and pretty much every chaplain/observant Jewish servicemember I can get my hands on about this, but I still have questions.

I keep Kosher, which means I'll probably be sticking to a strictly vegetarian diet (no cheese either) at boot camp. These will probably seem like strange questions, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible, so any info would be appreciated:

Are fruits and vegetables in the salad bar cut or whole?
I've read there's PB, milk, and Yogurt available...are those in individual packages?
What about salad dressings? Are those name-brand-in containers or bulk like at most salad bars?

The reason I ask is because ideally, anything processed should be under supervision and needs to stay sealed, so if I can look up, say, the yogurt brand I'll know if it's kosher. I don't expect to be able to keep strictly kosher, I'd just like to know before I go in what kind of options I'll have and how to prepare for any compromises I may have to make.
clk128 is offline   Reply With Quote