NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
kgervais

kgervais is on a distinguished road
Default Corpsman Questions

Are HMs really the most decorated Navy rating? I read that somewhere and it would sort of make sense since there are more of them than SEALS and they are one of the only (technically) combat ratings.

What is advancement like for one attached to a FMF?
kgervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
kgervais

Is getting to C School the same process as picking your first duty station? Based on the needs of the Navy (whatever is available) after A school as well as class rank?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Most Corpsman don't go FMF but it's a huge rate so there are a lot of people. Advancement is the same for all HM's no matter what field they are in. HM has pretty bad advancement even right now when advancment is good for most rates.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
kgervais

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Most Corpsman don't go FMF but it's a huge rate so there are a lot of people. Advancement is the same for all HM's no matter what field they are in. HM has pretty bad advancement even right now when advancment is good for most rates.
Ouch, so advancement to E-4 while in A or C school is a bit out of the question?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgervais View Post
Ouch, so advancement to E-4 while in A or C school is a bit out of the question?
Unless Corpsman has an auto advance thing say if you are first in the class. I don't know if they do that though.

To take the test you have to be eligible so if you are an E3 by the time you graduate A school you have to wait 6 months to take the test.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
kgervais

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Unless Corpsman has an auto advance thing say if you are first in the class. I don't know if they do that though.

To take the test you have to be eligible so if you are an E3 by the time you graduate A school you have to wait 6 months to take the test.
I gotcha. I'm going in as an E-3 does that mean I still have to wait the 6 months?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
kforbs126

Quote:
I gotcha. I'm going in as an E-3 does that mean I still have to wait the 6 months?
Yes so 6 months after A school you'll be able to take it.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

My friends daughter has been in now for almost a year..she took the test for E4, passed the test, but didnt promote...many others ahead of her had more "points" and time in..just understand, just because you pass the test does NOT mean you get the promotion.... there are MANY other factors that come into play on getting promoted.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
kgervais

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
My friends daughter has been in now for almost a year..she took the test for E4, passed the test, but didnt promote...many others ahead of her had more "points" and time in..just understand, just because you pass the test does NOT mean you get the promotion.... there are MANY other factors that come into play on getting promoted.
That makes sense. It would be pretty silly to advance someone who simply tests well and the US Navy would not be the power that it is. I was more leaning toward what I could do while in A school to boost my chances of promotion. A friend said volunteering often helps.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
kforbs126

Quote:
That makes sense. It would be pretty silly to advance someone who simply tests well and the US Navy would not be the power that it is. I was more leaning toward what I could do while in A school to boost my chances of promotion. A friend said volunteering often helps.
Actually testing well is how most people advance in the Navy especially in rates that don't advance well at all. I've seen really crappy sailors get average evals but advance because they test well and do well on advancement exams. This can make up for lack of points easily.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

As far as doing volunteer work to gain points, it has to be approved by your command on the type of volunteer work and it takes MANY MANY hours to get the pin for it to count towards points. As far as getting points in A school, you need to be the very top of your class.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
kgervais

Does anyone know what corpsman specialties are eligible for security clearances?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
kgervais

Anyone? Or can you direct me to a list?