NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
E_Storey

E_Storey is on a distinguished road

Do I have to qualify while I'm in the DEP program in order to go to AWRSS?
E_Storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Storey View Post
Qualify medically you mean? Oooorrrrr?
(I'm also Aircrew, just as a CT)

/r
CTT1
Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Storey View Post
If you're talking about getting an AIRR contract (Rescue Swimmer) then yes you should be required to past a PST (spec war PT test) before being awarded that contract.

AWR is considered part of the Spec War/Challenge programs. Talk with your recruiter about it and they can give you the in's and out's. Usually there is a Spec War motivator in your area that can help with the PT and administer the test.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
austin_andres

austin_andres is on a distinguished road

Hello, I'm currently in the process of joining the navy and I would like to be an AWO Aircrewman. Due to some circumstances I would have a choice of shipping soon and going in as FTS or waiting a long time and going AD. Would i be able to go FTS AWO? Which is a better lifestyle, AD or FTS? I go to meps on Monday so any additional information would be much appreciated.
austin_andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_andres View Post
Hello, I'm currently in the process of joining the navy and I would like to be an AWO Aircrewman. Due to some circumstances I would have a choice of shipping soon and going in as FTS or waiting a long time and going AD. Would i be able to go FTS AWO? Which is a better lifestyle, AD or FTS? I go to meps on Monday so any additional information would be much appreciated.
The only FTS Aircrew orders are AWF Loadmasters and Flight Attendants on C-130's, C-40's, and C-12's... AWO is only initially available for AD, however you can transition to SelRes after your first enlistment if there's available orders in either of the two reserve maritime patrol squadrons.

My advice if you want AWO is to stick it out for the AD slot and use the time to physically prepare yourself for Aircrew Candidate School.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
The only FTS Aircrew orders are AWF Loadmasters and Flight Attendants on C-130's, C-40's, and C-12's... AWO is only initially available for AD, however you can transition to SelRes after your first enlistment if there's available orders in either of the two reserve maritime patrol squadrons.

My advice if you want AWO is to stick it out for the AD slot and use the time to physically prepare yourself for Aircrew Candidate School.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
austin_andres

austin_andres is on a distinguished road

Hello. Update: I swore into the navy yesterday with an Aircrew contract, I leave May 18th. Any tips for me to prepare aswell as tips once i get in? I have been training for this job in the physical aspect. I've been swimming 5 miles a week for quite some time. Along with running 30-40 miles a week. Also lifting weights and doing as many bodyweight exercises i could think of. Any tips would be much appreciated.
austin_andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #9
papaseals

papaseals is on a distinguished road
Default Medical question

This is an awesome thread. Lots of info...

I read on another site that hay fever will disqualify you. Is this a diagnoses question or do they test for it? I imagine everyone gets some form of runny nose when exposed to high levels of pollen and its interesting that this would disqualify you. I understand some people have a more severe reaction to pollen so what is the extent they will allow it.

Thanks.
papaseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaseals View Post
This is an awesome thread. Lots of info...

I read on another site that hay fever will disqualify you. Is this a diagnoses question or do they test for it? I imagine everyone gets some form of runny nose when exposed to high levels of pollen and its interesting that this would disqualify you. I understand some people have a more severe reaction to pollen so what is the extent they will allow it.

Thanks.
For the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute (NAMI), Hay Fever or Rhinitis is mostly on a case-by-case basis.

What the flight doc is going to base that on is how often do you have symptoms, how much does it complicate things, and what the actual state of your sinuses are (IE do you have polyps, cysts, something like that).

Typically seasonal allergies are not considered disqualifying, however sinus issues that are consistent or have a large impact would be considered disqualifying.

The reason for this is barotrauma. If your sinuses are all blocked up then your they're going to have a significantly harder time equalizing as you change altitude. Military aircraft change altitude MUCH faster than a civilian aircraft in some cases, so if you're sinuses aren't working correctly then it could case some major issues. Things like blowing your ear drums out or having extreme ear pain, nose bleeds, hearing loss, etc. If you were to experience those in flight it could jeopardize you, your crew, and the mission as a whole (IE they might have to land just for you).

/r
CTT1

Source: NAMI Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide