NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
jdteegardin1

jdteegardin1 is on a distinguished road
Question NUKE questions.

okay, i jsut signed my nuke contract and i have a few questions.
1: how long does it take to get a security clearance?
2: what is the process for getting a security clearance?
3: will i know when my clearance came in?
4: my ship date is 20141029. will it be cold when i go?
5: can i get an earlier ship date?
6: when i went to my first DEP meeting, some of the people there had this id card. what is that for and am i required one?
jdteegardin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdteegardin1 View Post
6: when i went to my first DEP meeting, some of the people there had this id card. what is that for and am i required one?
I'll save the Nuke-specific questions for the folks in your program... but for clearance questions:

1. A Secret clearance will take about 1-2 months from the date it's started, to when it's granted... it's all basically irrelevant to you though, because everything for a Secret is done without your participation and you'll just get it while in DEP. It's possible you may need to have in in-person interview if your recruiter sucks at filling out the paperwork... but most don't.

2. First, you'll fill out an SF-86... that's the standard government form for all levels of clearance from Secret to SCI. Once MEPS submits your paperwork, someone from the Office of Personnel Management will get assigned your case and will conduct a National Agency check... this is an inquiry of FBI, state, county, and local law enforcement databases for all places you've lived or worked. OPM will also check your credit history and Social Security records to verify all employment data was disclosed. As long as you don't lie on your paperwork, you'll be granted a clearance.

3. Nope... the only way to check your access level is through sites that require a Common Access Card (Military ID). If you don't hear anything by the time you leave for RTC, you have a clearance. At some point during basic, you should have a chance to log into various .mil websites and can check your clearance level then.

4. I was in Great Lakes as a recruit from 18 September to 16 November... we got our first snowfall my last week there. It'll be cold, but not freezing.

5. It's possible, but rare... talk to your recruiter about submitting a DEP Action Request, or DAR.

6. That's a DEP ID, which is kinda sorta technically a military ID... I was able to get access to the local Coast Guard base with it, and you can see if places will offer you a military discount. Other than that, it serves no real purpose.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My recruiting station has basically told me NO. and for the most part that's the answers online, I have seen posts from two or three people that got earlier dates, but they were because someone in their district could not ship when they were originally scheduled so that date is passed on to the next person in line. The NUKE pipeline is just super over crowded, and my recruiter said the school in Ballston Spa, is closed for remodeling, which makes the process even tighter of a squeeze.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
jdteegardin1

jdteegardin1 is on a distinguished road

so how can i get one of the dep id's? do i just ask my recruiter?
jdteegardin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Atom_breaker

Quote:
so how can i get one of the dep id's? do i just ask my recruiter?
Our office doesn't have any. Just said to use our conrtact if we needed proof to do anything military related.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
My recruiting station has basically told me NO. and for the most part that's the answers online, I have seen posts from two or three people that got earlier dates, but they were because someone in their district could not ship when they were originally scheduled so that date is passed on to the next person in line. The NUKE pipeline is just super over crowded, and my recruiter said the school in Ballston Spa, is closed for remodeling, which makes the process even tighter of a squeeze.
The prototype in New York only affects those who are done with power school. I keep hearing rumors that say the prototype is closed but I haven't seen anything to validate that.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
rbmorgan

rbmorgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
5. I saw a few people comment on this one and thought I would share my personal experience with this question. I signed my nuke contract in January and am due to leave in August. My Chief has offered me 3 separate times to leave in March, May, and June. Spots for nuke open up randomly is what he told me due to various reasons such as security clearance issues. Put the word in to your recruiter that if a spot opens you would be willing to leave early. Then with a little luck one will and you can jump on it, you never know. Hope that helps.

DEP date: 20140114
Ship date: 20140812
rbmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmorgan View Post
5. I saw a few people comment on this one and thought I would share my personal experience with this question. I signed my nuke contract in January and am due to leave in August. My Chief has offered me 3 separate times to leave in March, May, and June. Spots for nuke open up randomly is what he told me due to various reasons such as security clearance issues. Put the word in to your recruiter that if a spot opens you would be willing to leave early. Then with a little luck one will and you can jump on it, you never know. Hope that helps.
My recruiter made me laugh he said if they call he will tell them "he is ready to ship. His bags are packed and under my desk." I guess that was he way of telling me he will handle it to quit bugging him.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:31 AM   #9
blange94

blange94 is on a distinguished road

What's the SC for Nuke?
blange94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blange94 View Post
What's the SC for Nuke?
Secret
Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
blange94

Quote:
Secret
Thats what I thought but I was hearing other wise. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Atom_breaker

No problem! I imagine we all get secret, and if we get to a command that requires more they will then upgrade it. Like if you were to serve on the Jimmy Carter. It requires top secret.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #13
blange94

I'm a girl so no subs for me. But if they have to upgrade your clearance will they tell you first or just do it? I dont want to deal with the TS process
Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #14
Atom_breaker

Quote:
I'm a girl so no subs for me. But if they have to upgrade your clearance will they tell you first or just do it? I dont want to deal with the TS process
By the time you are done with school you'll have sub options as well. They will probably consist of all females, not integrated.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #15
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But if they have to upgrade your clearance will they tell you first or just do it? I dont want to deal with the TS process
If you have to upgrade your clearance, you'll know... the security manager at your command will advise you on how to access the Office of Personnel Management's e-QIP website to fill out the background questionnare, and you'll be contacted by a federal investigator to schedule your interview. It's not a bad process... don't lie and you have nothing to worry about.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #16
sarahyangg

sarahyangg is on a distinguished road

Agreed with Haasino. The interview for Nuke clearance is pretty easy. More details (kind of tedious) and all that stuff. The Navy outsources to some company that does these checks and you meet for an hour or two and that's it.
I think I know what you mean about the "secret" clearance being ambiguous though. When I DEP'd in as AECF rate, they didn't require any clearance checks to give me "secret." But when I was thinking about doing NF, they started the process to give me "secret" security clearance. What the difference is between secret and secret, I have no idea LOL.
sarahyangg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #17
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmorgan View Post
I was offered one in June, didn't get it, offered one to ship in July, and it went through. So I will leave about a month early..
Old 07-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
rbmorgan

rbmorgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was offered one in June, didn't get it, offered one to ship in July, and it went through. So I will leave about a month early..
Congrats, I leave August 12th so I will see you down in Charleston for school I'm sure.

DEP date: 20140114
Ship date: 20140812
rbmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
erik1o2

erik1o2 is on a distinguished road

I know this may sound weird, and i know there isn't much free time at power school, but would i be allowed to have my guitar at power school to play for recreation on weekends?
erik1o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #20
drego86

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik1o2 View Post
I know this may sound weird, and i know there isn't much free time at power school, but would i be allowed to have my guitar at power school to play for recreation on weekends?
Yes, you can bring it to the smoke pit and join everyone else who was a guitar...
Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #21
erik1o2

erik1o2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
Yes, you can bring it to the smoke pit and join everyone else who was a guitar...
Awesome. I just didn't know how strict things were there with what you can and can't have. Thanks.
erik1o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #22
ashugan

ashugan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Did you have to have your clearance before he let you leave early? My recruiter said there are several spots open but that I can't put in the DAR until after I have my SC interview.
ashugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #23
drego86

I never got a security clearance interview... I mean if it was at MEPS along with all the other stuff then maybe I guess. But we have guys that have to wait extra time after A school because they don't have their clearance yet. Just food for thought. I'm not saying your recruiter is wrong. I just never had to "wait for my clearance interview" ever.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #24
ashugan

ashugan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
I never got a security clearance interview... I mean if it was at MEPS along with all the other stuff then maybe I guess. But we have guys that have to wait extra time after A school because they don't have their clearance yet. Just food for thought. I'm not saying your recruiter is wrong. I just never had to "wait for my clearance interview" ever.
Hmm, interesting. Well, I have asked him multiple times about it and have been given the same answer, every time. My recruiter has been extremely helpful throughout the process, and I don't see any reason for him to be lying to me. However, I've seen multiple posts on the internet of people getting to leave earlier and nothing about waiting for an interview. Weird
ashugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #25
Atom_breaker

I was never interviewed. but alot of people get interviewed in bootcamp.. for other rates. No Nuke that I met ( over 100) had to interview there, or was disqualified there.

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Old 12-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #26
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure nuke is top secret. If it was just secret I would've been one. Probably.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #27
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrias View Post
Pretty sure nuke is top secret. If it was just secret I would've been one. Probably.
It's not... it's Secret for enlisted; TS for officer. If you need a TS as enlisted, it's because of the boat you're on, not the nuke stuff.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #28
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
It's not... it's Secret for enlisted; TS for officer. If you need a TS as enlisted, it's because of the boat you're on, not the nuke stuff.
Hassino is correct.
Minimum qualifications for the NUKE program are for a SECRET clearance. TS would come on an as-needed basis based on if you have a specific "need to know" to perform your duties or if you're on a specific platform doing a specific thing (which we obviously can't get into here).

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #29
cobalt
**Active Duty**

cobalt has a spectacular aura about

When it comes to your clearance the only way you will know if you do or don't have your clearance is if you finish A school and they don't let you class up for power school because you have a problem with your clearance. In the case of security clearance's no news is good news.
also yes, it will be extremely cold when you go.
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote