NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
kkat

kkat is on a distinguished road
Default CTI vs CTN vs CTT vs CTR vs CTM Stationing?

I realize things aren't quite so clear-cut, but generally speaking, would the following statements be true or false?

Firstly, in general, first tour = on a ship. Dream sheets aren't likely, and you'll be sent where the Navy needs you.

CTI:
ASVAB scores dictate what language you can learn. Likely to be at sea near the area of interest corresponding to that language, with very little travel elsewhere.

CTT:
6-year contract allows for longer schooling, thus more technical knowledge. Likely to be on ships. Lots of traveling to lots of places.
4-year contract correlates to less schooling, so more on the operational side of things. Likely to be on shore.

CTN:
Often stationed on INCONUS with very little/no travel. Rarely stationed OUTCONUS, but would most likely be on shore.

CTR:
Coin-toss as to where and how you're stationed?

CTM:
Live on shore but go out with ships, sometimes for months at a time? Or is that universally a thing for CT? Majority are in Japan on ships?

I know the job descriptions, the schooling timeframes, working environments (for the most part), and I realize a lot of stuff is confidential, but I'd like to have a general understanding of what my years might look like should I go this route, whether I'd be on a ship or on shore or INCONUS OR OUTCONUS.

Thanks in advance!!
kkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkat View Post
I realize things aren't quite so clear-cut, but generally speaking, would the following statements be true or false?

Firstly, in general, first tour = on a ship. Dream sheets aren't likely, and you'll be sent where the Navy needs you.
CT's can go anywhere and it really depends on your specific flavor of CT and what the needs of the Navy are at the time in terms of where your first duty station is. I know people that went shore right away as well as ships, aircrew, whatever. Just depends on who you are and what they need when you're up for orders. Hence the term "needs of the Navy".

Quote:
CTI:
ASVAB scores dictate what language you can learn. Likely to be at sea near the area of interest corresponding to that language, with very little travel elsewhere.
The score you're thinking of is the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery). That's the score that will put you in whatever category for a set or languages. It's true you'll focus on the geographical area for your language at the time, but that doesn't mean you can't get out some. Also, later down your career you can also start to pick up other languages. Hell, I know a CTI that was fluent in 5 different ones haha

Quote:
CTT:
6-year contract allows for longer schooling, thus more technical knowledge. Likely to be on ships. Lots of traveling to lots of places.
4-year contract correlates to less schooling, so more on the operational side of things. Likely to be on shore.
The difference between 4 year and 6 year is just that one is gets the schooling for SLQ-32 maintenance and the other doesn't. They'll still both work on the gear, just the 6 year guys get the electronics training to get really in the weeds. If you're a tech (6 year guy) then you're gonna be going to a ship for your first tour since that's what they're spending all that money (thousands and thousands of dollars) to train you for. After that however you can take much more control of your career. A 4 year guy can end up on ships, shore, aircrew, subs, all kinds of places. Just because you didn't go to the extra technical schooling doesn't mean you're more likely to get put on shore or anywhere else specific more than anyone else. You can still totally end up at sea or anywhere else.

Quote:
CTN:
Often stationed on INCONUS with very little/no travel. Rarely stationed OUTCONUS, but would most likely be on shore.
For the most part yes. I can't get into specifics, but for the most part they're shore based Sailors.

Quote:
CTR:
Coin-toss as to where and how you're stationed?
R-branchers are similar to us T-birds in the fact that we're needed everywhere and our skillset translates all over the world. So it's possible to have the opportunity to go a lot of different places and do a lot of different things.

Quote:
CTM:
Live on shore but go out with ships, sometimes for months at a time? Or is that universally a thing for CT? Majority are in Japan on ships?
There are CTM's stationed aboard ships all over the world as well as plenty of shore sites. They're a very small rate (not many people) but can go all over the world. Japan doesn't have any more of a majority than anywhere else; it's just another spot they can end up.

Quote:
I know the job descriptions, the schooling timeframes, working environments (for the most part), and I realize a lot of stuff is confidential, but I'd like to have a general understanding of what my years might look like should I go this route, whether I'd be on a ship or on shore or INCONUS OR OUTCONUS.

Thanks in advance!!
It's partially in your hands and partially the needs of the Navy. Obviously if you go CTN you're not going to a boat, but even if you didn't it's still possible you end up somewhere else anyway. On you're second tour is really when you get a lot more freedom to start picking things. Also if you don't end up where you wanted you might end up somewhere even better. I had no interest in going to a Frigate for my first tour but it ended up being the best thing I could've asked for! So keep an open mind.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-06-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

CTIs are not likely to be at sea. We are similar to CTNs except we have the possibility of going DIRSUP (deploying with ships, never stationed on a ship).

Our centers of excellence do determine which languages tend to go where but they don't always correspond to the area where that language is used. CTIs can predict the location of their first tour with almost complete accuracy because it's almost always the center of excellence. It's only the billet/type of work that's a surprise.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote