NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
k.scrog1153

k.scrog1153 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice for a female nuke?

I've been looking through the forums and haven't found much about what being a female nuke is like. It may not even be different, but I have heard from multiple sources I am a "unicorn" and won't find many other females doing my job. Some people I know who have been in the Navy say they have never met a female nuke. Is being a female going to affect me in any way? I know it is a male dominated field. So, will I be separated in the barracks from everyone else in A school? Am I going to be the only girl in my classes? When I get to my first carrier do I sleep somewhere else? I've heard that each job is grouped together on the ship for where they sleep, but if I'm the only girl will I have to go somewhere else?
I may be thinking too much into it, but I am apprehensive of how being a female will affect me. Thanks!
k.scrog1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Honestly (coming from a female), don't worry about it.

Females make up about 18% of the navy. Maybe you'll be the only female in your division, maybe not (I'm the only female in my department - not a nuke).
You aren't limited to making friends with the people in your division, you'll get to know the other girls in your berthing.

And as long as you aren't using being female as an excuse not to do work, your division will welcome you regardless.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
k.scrog1153

Okay thank you!
My mom told me stories of what it was like being a female Marine back in the day so I didn't know how bad it would be in the Navy.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

My son was a nuke..he is out now after his years in...he said there were several females in the training pipeline and several on his ship..Nimitz..when he was there. You wont be the only one! But as Guppy said, don't use being female an excuse to not so your share of the work!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
blue&gold

blue&gold is on a distinguished road

congratulations k.scrog1153! I am also a female and signed my nuke contract 05/10. ship out on 10/18. I can understand why you are apprehensive. I still have so many questions about the Navy in general that it's hard to grasp how my life will change. however, there are quite a few females on the force and from what I understand, the military takes care of their own. shouldn't be too difficult to adjust. as for being a female sailor.... we just have to prove to everyone that we deserve to be in the fleet by being at the top of our class and working harder than most. that's my goal at least, not trying to be cocky, but at 62" I have to work hard to earn my place.

I'm not sure when you ship out (probably before I do) but if I class up in A school before you, I'll be happy to let you know how my sleeping arrangements are or any other questions you may have. I try to check this sight every week so just pm me whenever you can.
have a great Fourth of July!
blue&gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #6
k.scrog1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue&gold View Post
I'm not sure when you ship out (probably before I do) but if I class up in A school before you, I'll be happy to let you know how my sleeping arrangements are or any other questions you may have. I try to check this sight every week so just pm me whenever you can.
have a great Fourth of July!
I ship out on September 7 hopefully! Just waiting on my security clearance. I was told all spec ops and nuke clearances are taking longer for some reason so who knows. And congrats on getting nuke too! Maybe I'll see you in school!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
biruis

biruis is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I'm in powerschool currently. You're gender at no point will affect the quality of your career.
There is more males than females, but there is still Hundreds of females just at NNPTC.
You have your own barracks building called the Seawolf. In which no male, unless in a duty status, is permitted to walk down the berthing wings.
You have the same number of heads, smaller but just as many.
There is a possibility that you will be the only female in your A-school class since those can be as few as 12 people. But powerschool nearly every class is 30 people, and it's unlikely you'll be the only female.
I can't speak for what carriers are like, but I do know you will never share a berthing with a male.
You'll also have the opportunity to volunteer for submarine service once you're at prototype.
Good luck in boot! Make sure to stay positive. It feels like the worst place in the world when you're there. But looking back now I have very fond memories. It really was a lot of fun.