NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Musician B660

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
mfwright

mfwright is on a distinguished road
Question MU-MUSICIAN ???

i am already depn in as AC but came across the MU rate. since im very musically inclined in multiple instruments, this option is appealing. how to get in? is it available at this time? what are the standards? any info out there??
mfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

I have looked into as well since I am a singer/songwriter guitarist. The recruiters told me it's the hardest thing to get into in the Navy. Apparently there are some gnarly auditions for it and spots don't open very often. I actually got to see them open up for the band REO Speedwagon last summer. They are very good.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

I just entered DEP and will be enlisting as an MU. Laworlo is correct, it's an incredibly difficult program to get into and it's very, very small. My recruiting office had never processed an MU before and while at MEPS, I was informed they hadn't processed an MU in years. I took an audition in March and was put on a waiting list (at this time I had no obligation to the Navy and was not required to take the ASVAB or go through MEPS). In June I was contacted and told there was a position for my instrument open. THEN I went through the enlistment process- my ship date is in December. My counselor at MEPS told me they only allow one female MU at boot camp per month (and one male, I would assume).

You can find more info here- http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np.../default1.aspx
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Soccer_cat

Soccer_cat is on a distinguished road

llamayamaa--what instrument do you play? So cool! I hope to join the navy music program as well. How long did you prepare for you audition?
Soccer_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
llamayamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_cat View Post
llamayamaa--what instrument do you play? So cool! I hope to join the navy music program as well. How long did you prepare for you audition?
I play flute/piccolo. I took the audition in early March, but as a professional musician, the audition music was something I've been playing for years (I've taken many, many auditions- not for the Navy, but other ensembles). Are you in DEP now with an assignment already?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Soccer_cat

No, hoping to make it in the Navy music program. How long is the waiting list?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
llamayamaa

The waiting list depends on which instrument you play. In January, they told me they were pretty overmanned with brass players and were in need of wind players, but I still had a three month wait for my instrument. What do you play? Check out the link I shared a few posts back, it has a lot of answers.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Soccer_cat

Thanks for the info! I play clarinet & saxophone. Hopefully I'll make it. Setting up an audition this week. I wonder how long the wait is for either of those? With the downsizing of the military it may take a while!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
llamayamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_cat View Post
Thanks for the info! I play clarinet & saxophone. Hopefully I'll make it. Setting up an audition this week. I wonder how long the wait is for either of those? With the downsizing of the military it may take a while!
I have no idea about the demand for clarinet/saxophone, but I would be willing to bet your wait will be shorter than mine since there are twice as many of those instruments per band than flutes (there are only 1-2 flute positions per band).

About the downsizing: the Navy actually has a pretty good size music program with 9 CONUS bands, 2 international, and 2 preferentially staffed bands (it was the Air Force that just underwent major budget cuts to their music program). With the Navy's recent change in doubling requirements --you don't have to be able to play multiple instruments-- I think some high quality musicians are going to be making their way to audition (that is not to say musicianship isn't already high...).

I'm curious- do you have a Bachelor degree in music already? Because you will be vying with other musicians who have a Bachelors, some even Masters.

Good luck with the audition! Let me know if you have any questions about the audition day/process.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Soccer_cat

Thanks for the great info! I have two years of college as a music major. We'll see! Gotta practice a lot!
It sounds like a dream job!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

Interestingly enough, the Navy band that I saw that opened for REO Speedwagon, was a rock band. Electric guitar, drums, bass, keyboards and rhythm guitar. No wind ensemble instruments.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

I don't know much about the program. But I spent 6 months working across the street from the School of Music. Always nice to hear the outdoor rehearsals

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #13
llamayamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laworlo View Post
Interestingly enough, the Navy band that I saw that opened for REO Speedwagon, was a rock band. Electric guitar, drums, bass, keyboards and rhythm guitar. No wind ensemble instruments.
Each unit performs as a concert band (the sit down ensemble you would go see at a performance venue/hall) and a ceremonial band (marching parades and that sort of thing). From there, a unit also branches off into rock band, jazz/swing band, woodwind quintet, brass quintet, etc. So one unit has multiple ensembles.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
F/S-MARodriguez

F/S-MARodriguez is on a distinguished road

I thought MU was a reservist thing only?
F/S-MARodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
llamayamaa

Nope, it's very much active duty. MUs go through the same basic training as everyone else. But our entrance process is just a little different. Most people are trained in A school to do their assigned job; we have to pretty much be proficient at our job to pass the audition and be offered a position. As far as I can tell, the biggest difference for MUs is we don't spend as much time on ships, if any at all. I believe the band stationed in Pearl Harbor does most of the tours, and they tend to assign singles with no dependents to that duty.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
DropTheWalls

DropTheWalls is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, does anyone know what the waiting period is for vocalists? And would it help if I auditioned on another instrument as well, or should I save my practice time for singing?
DropTheWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
llamayamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheWalls View Post
Hey guys, does anyone know what the waiting period is for vocalists? And would it help if I auditioned on another instrument as well, or should I save my practice time for singing?
Honestly, your best bet is to contact the MU recruiter. Your local recruiter will most likely know nothing about the program, and I doubt many people on this forum (as informative as it is) will know the answers to your questions.

Check out the Navy Music Program facebook page, it's got a lot of useful info. On the about section, there's a contact e-mail for Julie Peters, who can answer every question you might have as far as quotas, auditioning, instrument doubling, etc. I've talked with her, she's very nice and very helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Navy-...m/160352757793

If you have any general 'life as an MU' questions, please feel free to message me! =)
Old 09-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
DropTheWalls

DropTheWalls is on a distinguished road

Thanks llamayamaa! Will do for sure.
DropTheWalls is offline   Reply With Quote