NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Lurch

Lurch is on a distinguished road
Default Back to help out

So, I did my first introduction on this site a long time ago as a "Future Sailor".....since then, I have been in 19 months. I am now IT2.....I am currently on an aircraft....the Nimitz, been on a 8 month deployment.....seen quite a bit of the world......been through every time zone on this global (literally). I am here to help you guys out.....I will check this as much as my time allows for it. I was in a 900 division, 901 almost 2 years ago.... I was RCPO, so if you have questions about "RPOC" ask away, I graduated A school about a year an a month ago, graduated 1st in my class and I was class leader the whole duration of school and deck leader for the entire A school for my last course of ILE ( about 6 weeks). So, if you newbies have questions, wouldn't say I am the most experienced to answer them but I have been here and there and wont shoot you an bull. So, feel free to message me and if any of the Admins get IT related questions or some crap about 900s or RPOCs or other jazz you need some knowledge on I am willing to help out...anything to bring in the most knowledgeable sailor possible. Knowledge is power in this Navy. You will soon learn. Good luck to all you guys.

Last edited by Lurch; 06-07-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

I don't think the forum allows you to post the name of your ships
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

It's not exactly a mystery based on his location, lol. Good to have some more active duty Sailors here to help answer questions... I know nothing about shipboard life, so your experience will help a lot of Future Sailors out.

How do you like Washington State? I'll be up in you neck of the woods in the not too distant future.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
It's not exactly a mystery based on his location, lol. Good to have some more active duty Sailors here to help answer questions... I know nothing about shipboard life, so your experience will help a lot of Future Sailors out.

How do you like Washington State? I'll be up in you neck of the woods in the not too distant future.
Ya know, now that you say that I'm thinking of the other sites I'm on and they all allow ships.
It is a PERSEC concern (that's part of why I don't mention my command) but because it's PERSEC not OPSEC, other sites leave it to individual discretion. I think that's what we'll do too from this point on.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Ya know, now that you say that I'm thinking of the other sites I'm on and they all allow ships.
It is a PERSEC concern (that's part of why I don't mention my command) but because it's PERSEC not OPSEC, other sites leave it to individual discretion. I think that's what we'll do too from this point on.
From my standpoint, as someone who holds a TS/SCI and has been through SERE, I don't think that a member posting what ship or squadron they're in is a major issue... however it is something that Future Sailors should be aware of. My friends on Facebook know what squadron I'm in... but even my mother doesn't know I've flown a mission until after I've landed.

Again though, that's just my opinion... I defer to the rules from the moderators and admins.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
HM_Duke

HM_Duke is on a distinguished road

Please share your experience as RCPO. What were your challenges? Were you RCPO from the start or picked it up later? What advice would you give to someone that wants to take on the role?

Last edited by HM_Duke; 06-06-2014 at 08:50 PM.
HM_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Jaymaal904

Jaymaal904 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM_Duke View Post
Please share your experience as RCPO. What were your challenges? Were to RCPO from the start or picked it up later? What advice would you give to someone that wants to take on the role?
This all day ^^^
Jaymaal904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
Lurch

So if I said I am on a carrier in Everett it would take 2 clicks of Google to find out what it is....now if I were on deployment like i was 5 months ago and stuck out there in the 120 degrees of hell on earth (undisclosed location)...then it would be different...but CNN took care of that one for us....

Okay, my RCPO,....I was RPOC the whole push....my challenges, honestly, at first it was being used to the whole concept of knowing what everyone is having to do at certain times a day...myself, my "Aroc" and my section leaders worked together, so...it was up to me to make sure the division was where we needed to be...on time, every evolution it was my responsibility to make sure we were ready..in the right uniform (which changes all the time) had all we needed, knew the traffic patterns (know these like none other as you have certain marching commands you can only use on certain side walks)....the RDC's really weren't on my case as much as they were the guys without responsibility who continuously messed up....like no kidding, they called me in the office COUNTLESS times and had me speak on behalf of if we should keep X sailor or ASMO him based on my judgement of how he effects the environment of the division..that is the trust the RDC's had in me...and if you can get to that point, your doing it right....but they seen I had a desire to lead so they chose me...don't "aspire to be RCPO" RCPO will find you...just like it found me...i was the guy wanting to hide in the corner. which is what I did until..well i got called into the office in Pdays and told "hey your in charge, now get the heck out of my office recruit" That was my experience. If you do happen to become RCPO. DO NOT ABUSE IT. I never once raised my voice to my guys, and when I did, they knew i meant business. I had alot of "in house rules" when it came to the division, and in the end, it made us stronger...I got to know my guys on a personal level...I wanted to learn all about them, what they were strong at, weak at, what they could and could not handle. I wanted to know who were my guys to go to for boots, pt advice, study gurus, anything and everything to keep the RDC's out of the space and in their office And it worked, in the end, I had myself 75 brothers who I still talk to to this very day...and even though I am IT2 now, and half of them are still SN, FN, or AN, they still remember me as RCPO, but they (RDC's) seen we could work as a team and they stayed off my case...it was more along the lines of they would turn on the lights, come in....RPOC take charge, and they would let me drive the bus. Which is what I did. I apologize for my lack of punctuation, just worked a 16 hour day.......in port....and gotta be back at work at 04, little tired but part of it. So, anyone has anything else, or if I didnt answer your question, feel free.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Lurch

Quote:

Apologies for not getting to your question, WA state...well I enjoy it, I am from TN so I like being outdoors, if you are an outdoors person youll enjoy it if you can get past the "cooler summer" and all the constant steady rain. There is alot to see and do for sure.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Apologies for not getting to your question, WA state...well I enjoy it, I am from TN so I like being outdoors, if you are an outdoors person youll enjoy it if you can get past the "cooler summer" and all the constant steady rain. There is alot to see and do for sure.
Oh yeah... I'm a Northern California guy... redwood forests, fog, rain, and snowboarding. I can never get used to Florida heat and humidity... and I'm not enough of a beach guy/surfer to really enjoy Hawaii.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Lurch

Quote:
Oh yeah... I'm a Northern California guy... redwood forests, fog, rain, and snowboarding. I can never get used to Florida heat and humidity... and I'm not enough of a beach guy/surfer to really enjoy Hawaii.
If you enjoy snowboarding you'll love it here.....resorts all over the place.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
HM_Duke

HM_Duke is on a distinguished road

awesome feedback Lurch. Chief tells me I should plan on being thrown into RCPO due to my age. At this point, my focus is to just rate up to E2. If I get picked for RCPO, I'll just do my best based on my experience as a production manager.
HM_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
awesome feedback Lurch. Chief tells me I should plan on being thrown into RCPO due to my age. At this point, my focus is to just rate up to E2. If I get picked for RCPO, I'll just do my best based on my experience as a production manager.
Age doesn't necessarily mean you'll be appointed RCPO... I was the second oldest in my division behind a 33yo female; neither of us wanted, nor were given RCPO. I ended up being given Port Watch Section Leader and she was made Education PO... but we also ended up being "behind the scenes" leaders for our respective compartments. If my chief needed something done without the usual recruit BS, she'd usually just ask me to make sure it got done... same for the 33yo in the female compartment.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I went into boot camp at 29 and held no leadership position. I tried to stay out of sight as much as possible, not really trying to get noticed since I was already e-3.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #15
Lurch

They are both right on the age factor. You won't be thrown into RCPO just for age...I was 20 when I went through, my MA was a 40yo guy, my Port Section Watch was 35 and my Yeoman was 30....so yeah, I had 3 guys I worked with ALOT that one of them had a daughter 2 years younger than me lol. But let me tell you, even though they weren't in charge and I was WAY younger than them.....earn their respect, nothing is given....and for the younger crowd out there who happens to get in charge of older guys like this...doing such that of earning their respect is imperative. Once these guys knew that I could run the show and I knew what I was doing, I told them, look...you 3 are literally old enough to be my father.....so I already know if something needs to be done I am coming to you if these kids around here wont listen to me. as they were my go to...and they were more than willing. Because everytime something would be questioned about another recruits actions/willingness to be there/and all that jazz...the RDC's would call us 3 in there and ask our opinion on the subject, so this is when their age factor came into play big time. And I am glad I got to meet these guys, still talk to them to this day. But that is what it takes. Age means nothing with leadership positions in bootcamp.....heck, our laundry PO just got out of high school, and you could tell because the poor kid tripped over the laundry schedule more than anyone I knew, but hey...he caught on.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
Lurch

Also, not sure your physical capability, but if you can't beat the other recruits in the PRT....it will be very unlikely you will become RCPO. They want someone these guys literally have to follow....so when I would Max out my PRT and run circles around them on the track.......it would motivate them like none other for R-POC to run a 8:55 on his run. And the RDC's knew it..because in a 900 we PT'd in Freedom Hall by ourselves, quite a bit...so the RDC's would always challenge me in a race or some other jazz and if I lost we would get the royal treatment of a puddle of sweat lol. But needless to say I never lost. So that is another big factor, that and your academics..I also graduated with the highest average in my division, and only 2 other recruits beat me out of the highest out of my push. So, if you can't literally, lead from the front.....in every aspect that RTC has to give you...you won't be RCPO very long...or atleast thats the vibe I got from 900 RCPO's as we congregated alot for graduation practices, drills in Midway, and practicing marching stuff in our compartments with one another.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
mich313

mich313 is on a distinguished road

How was IT A-School? Easy or difficult? Did you go to C-School? Mac or PC based, or both? I currently work full-time in IT (civilian obviously) doing remote support. Did you enjoy Pensacola? I'm from TN also and love being outside. Is there liberty for things like kayaking or other water sports? Or is that even an option? Was there a wait time for you to class up or did you go straight from Boot to A-School? Can family come visit on base?

And, I was marching band color guard in high school. Threw the rifles, sabers, and flags around. Thinking about 900 div. Thoughts?

Sorry for the on slot, you're the first IT newly out of school I've seen! Thanks for any/all information!!!
Ship Date 20141008
mich313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #18
Lurch

IT A School for me was a bit of a challenge at first. I had no computer background what so ever. I studied Criminal Justice in college so computers, networking, security, etc. was all foreign to me. But I studied my butt off and came out top of my class. However, the ending portion of school, ILE, where you learn Radio comms (which is what I do in the fleet) was very interesting to me and was where I did my best at. So it is not entirely all computers. I had no C school as I came to the fleet over a year ago with only my A school. I did enjoy Pensacola...I played golf in college and there are alot of nice courses around there. So i took advantage of it. As far as liberty to kayak and such...it all depends how the liberty policy is now. It changed 3 times in my time there as the CO changes things up based on how the students are acting. When I got to Corry I was in holding for about a month before I finally classed up, so expect to wait for a little bit. And with your rifle spinning, and marching background don't be surprised if they don't throw you in a 900. They like to ask anyone if they have had that background...so when they do, be sure to raise your hand. As this is not a bad time to volunteer, a 900 division is a good experience to go through. Family can come visit on base, however, at Corry there is not really anything to do. I would suggest to take them over to NAS to the bigger NEX if they want to buy some stuff and to the air museum over there. I know I took my family over their and they enjoyed it. Hope that answers all your questions. Good luck! Oh, and one last thing, our schooling is PC based. We don't do Mac. As the fleet doesn't use Mac either so we don't learn about it.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #19
rbmorgan

rbmorgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
What part of Tennessee, I ship out soon and am in Knoxville.

DEP date: 20140114
Ship date: 20140812
rbmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #20
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you were a good RCPO and will make a good LPO one day. I wish my RCPO gave our division that much effort.
Temen is offline   Reply With Quote