NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road
Default Just graduated

Hey everyone I'm back and I just graduated bootcamp a few hours ago. I am open to answering all questions about boot camp!
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
13Point1Heiress

13Point1Heiress is on a distinguished road

Congrats!! How was your overall experience?

DEP: 04OCT13
SHIP: 29JUL14
13Point1Heiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
sailaway2011

sailaway2011 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 View Post
Hey everyone I'm back and I just graduated bootcamp a few hours ago. I am open to answering all questions about boot camp!
A friend of mine, who graduated in February said that NRC was thinking about letting the recruits not ship their phone home, but instead collecting everyone's phone until the end of Graduation. Did this happen to you?
sailaway2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Point1Heiress View Post
Overall boot camp was a great experience. It had it's good and it's bad parts.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway2011 View Post
A friend of mine, who graduated in February said that NRC was thinking about letting the recruits not ship their phone home, but instead collecting everyone's phone until the end of Graduation. Did this happen to you?
I don't recall hearing anything about this. I had to send my phone home the night that I arrived to RTC. But who knows maybe this will happen.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back and congrats! Keep your priorities on training during A School and don't be the guy who f**ks away their Navy career doing something stupid before they even get to the fleet.

As far as phones, there are no plans to change the policies at RTC regarding cell phones, female haircuts, or duration of training... anything you hear to the contrary is rumor.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post

As far as phones, there are no plans to change the policies at RTC regarding cell phones, female haircuts, or duration of training... anything you hear to the contrary is rumor.
It seems these always appear. Checking forums many years old and that "new rules" rumor shows up. Even my district recruiter was telling females the other day that they are testing new haircut standards and I was like yea right show us the writing. Of corse I didn't say that out loud... I just thought it to myself. and secretly rolled my eyes.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
AramilX

AramilX is on a distinguished road

How much sleep did you get around Battle Stations? I hear it's a long few days.

DEP date 10SEP13
Ship date 03JUN14
AramilX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AramilX View Post
How much sleep did you get around Battle Stations? I hear it's a long few days.
So my division did Battle Stations on a Thursday/Friday. We woke up at 0500 Thursday morning and did Battle Stations that night. On Friday morning we completed it at around 0700 Friday morning. And taps wasn't early Friday night so it was at 2200 also.

We were told that we would have time to take a nap but that didn't happen. So it will be a long 2 days.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 View Post
So my division did Battle Stations on a Thursday/Friday. We woke up at 0500 Thursday morning and did Battle Stations that night. On Friday morning we completed it at around 0700 Friday morning. And taps wasn't early Friday night so it was at 2200 also.

We were told that we would have time to take a nap but that didn't happen. So it will be a long 2 days.
The promise of a nap kept us going as well, and we likewise never got it. Not officially, at least. Practically everyone fell asleep marching the next day, including one person who zoned out during a column right and kept on moving forward for several paces.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Corpsman Hopkin

Corpsman Hopkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway2011 View Post

I don't know if there's a difference, but my friend completed RTC for the Air Force in November and his phone wasn't sent home.
Corpsman Hopkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Snowman

Snowman is on a distinguished road

Congrats Bubbagump!
-Nassim Taleb
“If you are going to swim with the big sharks, you better not be a seal. If you are not really connected, you will simply be their dinner. Always know who the opponent is you intend to confront.”
-Martin Armstrong
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsman Hopkin View Post
I don't know if there's a difference, but my friend completed RTC for the Air Force in November and his phone wasn't sent home.
There's a big difference... Navy is the only branch to ship all civilian items home, as well as the only branch to cut females' hair. When my buddy went through Army BCT at Fort Sill, he was able to use his phone on Sundays for limited amounts of time... it's not like that at RTC.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsman Hopkin View Post

The Air Force is different. You don't have a lot of personal storage space in bootcamp. The A/B drawers are pretty small and you have to keep most of your stuff in there.

I had my parents bring my phone to gradution for me
Old 05-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Congrats Bubbagump!
Thank you. Let me know if you have any questions about bootcamp.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #16
Snowman

Snowman is on a distinguished road
Talking

I will, it just seemed like a few weeks ago you were just here, and now you've graduated. I have friends that have gone through the Navy's Boot camp, and they always say that it is a life changing experience. Did it change you in any way? Do you miss anything about RTC or wish you could've done something differently? Was the swimming test easy? Those are the questions I have. It's good to hear from you again
-Nassim Taleb
“If you are going to swim with the big sharks, you better not be a seal. If you are not really connected, you will simply be their dinner. Always know who the opponent is you intend to confront.”
-Martin Armstrong
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #17
NavyCalifornia

NavyCalifornia is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! One question that I have is about civilian items at boot camp. I have heard from some people that you can bring the basics (shampoo, deodorant etc.) and that they only make you ship back stuff that's not on their "basic items" list, but other people have said that you have to ship literally everything back, even like the civilian clothes you were wearing. What happens to the backpack/bag you bring? Do you have to ship that back/donate it?

Thanks
NavyCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Yes. Everything will be sent home. You do not need to bring any personal hygiene items.

Exceptions - you can bring a bible, religious item, and small address book. You also need to bring the required paperwork (orders, birth certificate, social security card)

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
NavyCalifornia

NavyCalifornia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Yes. Everything will be sent home. You do not need to bring any personal hygiene items.

Exceptions - you can bring a bible, religious item, and small address book. You also need to bring the required paperwork (orders, birth certificate, social security card)
Thank you!
NavyCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #20
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I will, it just seemed like a few weeks ago you were just here, and now you've graduated. I have friends that have gone through the Navy's Boot camp, and they always say that it is a life changing experience. Did it change you in any way? Do you miss anything about RTC or wish you could've done something differently? Was the swimming test easy? Those are the questions I have. It's good to hear from you again
I haven't noticed any changes in myself. But my parents tell me that I sound more mature and confident then I did before I left. As for doing anything different, I wouldn't change how I did anything. I mean, I really flew under the radar while I was there. But at the same time I feel that I learned a lot while I was there. I really don't miss anything about boot camp, hah.

The swim test was pretty easy. If you can back stroke, tread water, and prone float you will do just fine. If you try any of the other swim styles and cannot do it correctly you will be told to do the back stroke. Don't stress about it, just be confident in yourself. Also, be sure to pass the first time. If you don't you will have to go to swim classes twice a day, everyday until you can pass. And you don't want that to happen.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCalifornia View Post
Congratulations! One question that I have is about civilian items at boot camp. I have heard from some people that you can bring the basics (shampoo, deodorant etc.) and that they only make you ship back stuff that's not on their "basic items" list, but other people have said that you have to ship literally everything back, even like the civilian clothes you were wearing. What happens to the backpack/bag you bring? Do you have to ship that back/donate it?

Thanks
Thank you! The only basic items that I was told I could keep were feminine hygiene products. Other than that you really do send everything home. All that I kept was my civilian glasses, wallet, and address book. You can either ship your things back home or donate it. It's really up to you. So don't bring a lot with you when you go.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #22
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Point1Heiress View Post
Though I must say that one of the less enjoyable parts of bootcamp for me was standing watch. I had no idea what that was until I got there and had to stand watch during P-Days.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #23
coopdeville

coopdeville is on a distinguished road

What exactly do you while standing watch?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #24
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdeville View Post
What exactly do you while standing watch?
For compartment watch you will either be roving security watch or night security watch. Roving security will rove the compartment every half hour and check on things. Such as the head, racks, and laundry room being on spot, checking on the SIQ's, etc. Night watch will move from their post to cover the entrance to the compartment while the rover roves. When the rover isn't roving night security will stand in another spot.

When your standing by the entrance to the compartment you will have to greet all petty officers, chiefs, and officers that enter (be sure to sound off).They will most likely ask you questions such as general orders, chain of command, and rank and recognition. Be sure to get the answers right, or they will most likely embarrass you in front of everyone.

Watch will be stood 24 hours a day. There are only certain times when it is secured, which is during mandatory events.

I hope that makes sense, if not let me know and I will try to clarify.