NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Telfermagne
**Active Duty**

Telfermagne will become famous soon enough
Default Recently graduated (Dec 2014)

Recently graduated, if anyone has some questions I'll be floating about here and there during liberty. Will check in more often once I get an electronics chit (frequency depending upon how busy class and section duty schedule gets).

Generic but essential tip: keep in mind that no matter how uncomfortable the days may get, just push. The RDCs feed off of how you react to the challenges, if you whine or don't show fire they get bored or pissed; and 10 count bodybuilders build character.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

What was your experience like? Were you part of the tennis show experiment, shed some light on that for everyone.

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Screw those 10 counts... lol my RDCs loved to beat the living hell out of us with those...

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Jaymaal904

Jaymaal904 will become famous soon enough

i graduated Friday too. div 028
Jaymaal904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Anyone coming over here to Pensacola? I've been here for about a month and a half now

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Telfermagne
**Active Duty**

Telfermagne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
What was your experience like? Were you part of the tennis show experiment, shed some light on that for everyone.
Not sure what the experiment is, so I'd wager that I wasn't part of it. I did notice a few divisions wearing go fasters with their NWUs, takes the "boot" out of bootcamp me thinks (perhaps they were a part of it?).

My experience was quite good, the division I was in wound up getting Hall of Fame so the constant practice runs for the various inspections instilled an appreciation for paying attention to detail and precision with regards to procedural compliance (even though folding and stowing and marching seems tedious and unnecessary at first, the principle underlying is what counts: follow directions to the letter; read a step then do a step as on the ship this could prevent serious mishap). On the outside we looked like a soup sandwich but come time for game day we somehow came together to complete evolutions.

The RDCs pushing us to pursue high scores also came with plenty of ITE which greatly helped me with improving PFA scores. I will stress going in being able to either pass the PFA or if one is not able to do so at least go in being close to able (by the final PFA there's a 97% success rate, that 3% I'd wager are those who were not even close to being able to pass when they initially came in).

If one does not quite pass the baseline, don't let that get you down: There's plenty of time for RDCs to "beat/build ya up" and there's shuttle runs plus sustained runs to help (the 20 minute sustained run was the most helpful in my opinion). E.g. it helped me as a 25 year old to pass the fitness requirements for the 18 year old age group.

One bit of advice that we got from our RDCs that I will preach to death is utilize the websites listed in the back of one's trainee guide, they give step by step road maps to promotion/career tracking no matter the rating one settles with plus financial management tips. Even if one's job is locked up, there's ways around the bog if one is dedicated to finding them.

Also pay attention during Sea Tour, a bunch of senior enlisted come in and share some tricks of the trade. Recruits are grouped according to overarching job categories and put with a relevant "mentor" for the afternoon. I wound up with a Senior Chief who enlisted as an Undes Fireman, he made Senior Chief in 9 years which gave some inspiration to those of us who were PACT Firemen (reinforced that even though climbing the ladder may seem impossible at first, strike for something then push push push and push).

Another thing, don't freak out if your shins and feet swell a bit. It's the nature of the boots and being on one's feet for long periods of time (during initial issue the facilitators say outright "be prepared for your feet to swell").

As far as the final and defining evolution goes, I can't say much due to the rules but I will say do not fall asleep no matter how tired one feels and even if one is struggling to stay motivated at least try to appear motivated. The facilitators feed off of how you appear, you get what you put into the evolution.

Another note: The galley is hit or miss, some days it's awesome and other days it sucks. I wound up living off of granola, fruit and salads for most of bootcamp. The hot food on the line didn't agree with me too well most of the time.

For those going in the winter, buy lotion or cocoa butter at the NEX if one's RDCs allow. My skin got dry as heck around the nose and eyebrows and around my fingers (RDCs stress hand sanitizing to an unholy level which dries the skin, but it also helps curb the spread of things like pink eye; there's some folks that don't like to sanitize after pushing a #2 and they touch the same equipment you do). Also, the way "car was showers" work doesn't help for those of us with a bit of dandruff issues; one can get a chit for dandruff shampoo but it ain't really worth the fuss of going to medical. I survived without it.

AND: Don't be afraid to ask questions during training! Even though you will get chewed out you will still get a solution to the question, it's part of the character building process. If one does not know a solution, look for the answer no matter how potentially stressful the search may become.

Last edited by Telfermagne; 12-07-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Telfermagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Raca1234 is on a distinguished road

This is great advice! Thank you!
Raca1234 is offline   Reply With Quote