NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTR = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN COLLECTION

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
killashadow16

killashadow16 is on a distinguished road
Default CTR Questions

I've read over the threads and lots of great info that I can tell my family. First let me introduce myself. My name is Josh and I am currently 25 but will be 26 in Dec. I ship out to RTC in July. Iam currently working on my BS in Community health and Wellness with a minor in Biology. I plan on working on my Masters in Epidemiology while in the Navy. Hoping to put in for an officer packet once I'm in. I am not married yet and I have no children. I also am going to put in for E-3 once I get my degree in May.

My questions are:
  1. what can I expect to expereince in Boot and A-school as an E-3 if there is any difference than an E-1?
  2. How long would it be till I would be tested for E-4?
  3. Due to not being married or having kids, I will most likely be looked at the have OUTCON assignment, correct?
  4. What would changed if I got married? When would be the best time(s) to get married? (planning sometimes around or after A-school.)
  5. When would be the best time to put in to Commission?
  6. If I get commissioned, would I still have to stay in Intel?

Note: Any other info would be greatly apprciated that I could relay to my family and my GF.

V/R
Joshua
killashadow16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Nicknyte
**Active Duty**

Nicknyte is a name known to allNicknyte is a name known to allNicknyte is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by killashadow16 View Post
I've read over the threads and lots of great info that I can tell my family. First let me introduce myself. My name is Josh and I am currently 25 but will be 26 in Dec. I ship out to RTC in July. Iam currently working on my BS in Community health and Wellness with a minor in Biology. I plan on working on my Masters in Epidemiology while in the Navy. Hoping to put in for an officer packet once I'm in. I am not married yet and I have no children. I also am going to put in for E-3 once I get my degree in May.

My questions are:
  1. what can I expect to expereince in Boot and A-school as an E-3 if there is any difference than an E-1?
  2. How long would it be till I would be tested for E-4?
  3. Due to not being married or having kids, I will most likely be looked at the have OUTCON assignment, correct?
  4. What would changed if I got married? When would be the best time(s) to get married? (planning sometimes around or after A-school.)
  5. When would be the best time to put in to Commission?
  6. If I get commissioned, would I still have to stay in Intel?

Note: Any other info would be greatly apprciated that I could relay to my family and my GF.

V/R
Joshua
For 4. I am currently married, and I intend to to have kids after all my schooling is complete and I reach my first PCS station (actually, when I finally get assigned a ship). Judging by the CTR Career Path, you may have to do 19 weeks of A school in Pensacola, followed by some advanced training directly after that. If you are really serious with your gf, then get married before deployment so she may take advantage of a higher BAH if you guys are living in an apartment/house together. If you are not SUPER serious, then, I'll let you decide that one, but you guys will not (could be wrong) be getting BAH. Ultimately, being married in the military has some perks, but you must be willing to deal with the separation. :D

NUKE WAIVER SIGNED: 20140904
SHIPDATE: 20150128
GRADUATION: 20150206
ASCHOOL GRADUATION: 20150925

Let me know if you have any questions on the pipeline! -ETN3 Nicknyte
Nicknyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
killashadow16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknyte View Post
For 4. I am currently married, and I intend to to have kids after all my schooling is complete and I reach my first PCS station (actually, when I finally get assigned a ship). Judging by the CTR Career Path, you may have to do 19 weeks of A school in Pensacola, followed by some advanced training directly after that. If you are really serious with your gf, then get married before deployment so she may take advantage of a higher BAH if you guys are living in an apartment/house together. If you are not SUPER serious, then, I'll let you decide that one, but you guys will not (could be wrong) be getting BAH. Ultimately, being married in the military has some perks, but you must be willing to deal with the separation. :D
Thank you! Yeah we have our ups and downs but are committed to each other come hell or high water.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by killashadow16 View Post
[LIST=1][*]what can I expect to expereince in Boot and A-school as an E-3 if there is any difference than an E-1?[*]How long would it be till I would be tested for E-4?[*]Due to not being married or having kids, I will most likely be looked at the have OUTCON assignment, correct?[*]What would changed if I got married? When would be the best time(s) to get married? (planning sometimes around or after A-school.)[*]When would be the best time to put in to Commission?[*]If I get commissioned, would I still have to stay in Intel?

Joshua
E1 or E3 it truly doesn't matter. E4 is where thing start to change for certain ratings. Let's say your a BM3 (Boatswain Mate), as a E4 you have a lot of power and respect. However, lets say you're a ET (Electronic Tech) then you have nothing, you are just a puke like the E1-E3's. For ET things change at the E5 level.

Without a waiver, you cannot bring your family with you overseas as a E3. Waivers are normally approved, but they don't have to be. Read the Policy here: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1300-302.pdf

Frankly you need to think about studying instead of getting married. Depending on your spouse background, they could pull your security clearance. You just can't be granted a SBI security clearance without a check.

Per commissioning. This is the 2010's. It's not like the old days where you got a college degree that they would earn a commissioning. Today, unless you have a strong background in Science or Math, then its really hard to get. The best thing is to apply for a program called "Seaman to Admiral" (STA-21). That's about the best way. You always have the opition of dropping your Navy contract and join the Army. They do allow direct commissioning.

With STA-21, you go where the Navy needs you. I had two sailor work for me that applied and got into STA-21. One remained in Intel, the other was put into Boat Driving school... So it varies a lot....

btw: CTR is an excellent rating. I'm a retired CT, and my whole family is CT's. I know how much CT's make on the outside. (they make a lot of $$$)

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

If you go for your commission, you are not locked into Intel.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
killashadow16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
E1 or E3 it truly doesn't matter. E4 is where thing start to change for certain ratings. Let's say your a BM3 (Boatswain Mate), as a E4 you have a lot of power and respect. However, lets say you're a ET (Electronic Tech) then you have nothing, you are just a puke like the E1-E3's. For ET things change at the E5 level.

Without a waiver, you cannot bring your family with you overseas as a E3. Waivers are normally approved, but they don't have to be. Read the Policy here: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1300-302.pdf

Frankly you need to think about studying instead of getting married. Depending on your spouse background, they could pull your security clearance. You just can't be granted a SBI security clearance without a check.

Per commissioning. This is the 2010's. It's not like the old days where you got a college degree that they would earn a commissioning. Today, unless you have a strong background in Science or Math, then its really hard to get. The best thing is to apply for a program called "Seaman to Admiral" (STA-21). That's about the best way. You always have the opition of dropping your Navy contract and join the Army. They do allow direct commissioning.

With STA-21, you go where the Navy needs you. I had two sailor work for me that applied and got into STA-21. One remained in Intel, the other was put into Boat Driving school... So it varies a lot....

btw: CTR is an excellent rating. I'm a retired CT, and my whole family is CT's. I know how much CT's make on the outside. (they make a lot of $$$)
Thank you very much! Yeah I've decided that I'm going to focus on my education and naval career more than anything else right now. I'm excited for CT and I think I can do more at an Enlisted than Officer so.