NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTR = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN COLLECTION

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Jpurvis

Jpurvis is on a distinguished road
Default CTR TS Clearance Concerns

Hello everyone,

First of all my name is Jonathan and I am currently in the waiting process for CTR. I am supposed to be shipping in october. I have a few questions regarding the TS clearnace required.
I originally looked into the Navy with aspirations to be in the SPECWAR community, went to MEPS and found out I am slightly color deficient. This was a game changer for the Navy and after months of frustration and contemplating my next move I decided to give the Navy another shot and go into the Intel community, however my hopes at a waiver for SEALs is still high, though it seems impossible at the time. My questions are regarding the TS clearance. I am 23 and have had my share of tickets, since I was 17 I have 5 tickets all for speeding 10mph over limit or under, all have been paid and I did deferred for some to get them clean. One of the tickets resulted in an arrest and a misdemeanor reckless driving charge ( 19 and on my sport bike..135 in a 60) I was young and very dumb. I did pay all of the fines and did a 3 month probation period. That is my only law violations, no drug/alchohol problems etc.
My other issue is Credit, I have very small amount of debt, all of my credit cards are paid on time, with only a few late payments in the past. The only thing I hvae is a charge off loan form 5 years ago for 941.00. I tried to pay it later but could not find the company to pay it to and the original debtor told me it had just been charged off. My question is will this affect my chances of getting a TX clearance? My recruiter seems to think that it wont due to the tickets being spread over many years, and none within 12 months of each other. He also said with the amount of debt being so small that I wouldnt have any issues. I have 3 credit cards with a total amount of abt 1400.00, but these are current and bieng paid. Obviously I am worried about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Side Note: I have been in Banking for a few years now and was required to go through two background checks during this time and have never had any issues. I know these are not near as extensive as the TS clearance, just thought id add that.
Jpurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
drcsyntax

drcsyntax is on a distinguished road

Firstly, none of the tickets are going to pop on a background check. EXCEPT the arrest and probation. Both of those will. However, if you listed this on your SF forms, then the investigator will look at it, look at what he found, nod to himself, check it off and move on.

If you DIDN'T list it, your clearance WILL be rejected right there.

(No one really cares about normal traffic tickets that you pay off, if you made it through MEPs then they don't even matter anymore, they only bring it up because you might have a "history of disregarding authority".)

A small amount of debt is normal, you're supposed to have debt, how else do you build credit? Now, if you're constant on your payments, and you're not late, again, they won't even care. If they ask you about it; just be sure to say "I plan on paying those off quickly." Boom, done.

I don't know what you mean by charge off loan, do you mean you still owe it? Did you clear it up? Is it a "in the wind" type situation? You need to figure that out and clear it up.

Also, take my advice, get rid of two of your credit cards. Don't even wait, go and cancel them and then pay off the single one you kept, and keep that one. The only thing having multiple cards does, is give you that many more chances to screw yourself over. (cancel the cards and pay the debt that's left over normally.)
drcsyntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Jpurvis

Jpurvis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcsyntax View Post
Firstly, none of the tickets are going to pop on a background check. EXCEPT the arrest and probation. Both of those will. However, if you listed this on your SF forms, then the investigator will look at it, look at what he found, nod to himself, check it off and move on.

If you DIDN'T list it, your clearance WILL be rejected right there.

(No one really cares about normal traffic tickets that you pay off, if you made it through MEPs then they don't even matter anymore, they only bring it up because you might have a "history of disregarding authority".)

A small amount of debt is normal, you're supposed to have debt, how else do you build credit? Now, if you're constant on your payments, and you're not late, again, they won't even care. If they ask you about it; just be sure to say "I plan on paying those off quickly." Boom, done.

I don't know what you mean by charge off loan, do you mean you still owe it? Did you clear it up? Is it a "in the wind" type situation? You need to figure that out and clear it up.

Also, take my advice, get rid of two of your credit cards. Don't even wait, go and cancel them and then pay off the single one you kept, and keep that one. The only thing having multiple cards does, is give you that many more chances to screw yourself over. (cancel the cards and pay the debt that's left over normally.)

Thanks for the reply. I listed everything in the packet so that should be ok. The charged off status means basically that the bank stopped trying to collect on the debt and just cut their losses. It is on my credit as a debt thats charged off, but the bank will not take a payment on it and it just sits on my credit until the time comes for it to be removed. It was 5 years ago and it should be removed within a few years from now. The credit cards I have are being paid and one of them is actually in closed status but I am paying the debt on time, and am in the process of a settlement to just pay off the balance.( $400). Good info though, makes me feel a little more at ease. I just did not want to get to basic or A school and then be told I need to reclass because I was denied a clearance.
Jpurvis is offline   Reply With Quote