NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTR = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN COLLECTION

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
MadViking1861

MadViking1861 is on a distinguished road
Default Credit Card debt

I depped in as a CTR in the beginning of may. I ship for boot camp November 6th and have been out of work for about a month. With that, along with some medical and automotive bills that came up, I'll probably be entering boot camp with about 6500 dollars of debt. I read on a government site that the debt requirements for CTT, CTN, and a few other CT jobs could not exceed half of the recruits annual income based on entry pay. My rating, CTR, was not mentioned. I'm going in as an E-3, so my debt will barely exceed a quarter of my entering salary. Does anyone know what the debt requirements are for CTR, and if my debt will affect my security clearance and cause me to lose my rating?
MadViking1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

The debt requirements are pretty much the same accross the board, not more then half of your salary (does not include school loans, mortgage, etc..). As long as you are current and not behind on payments then it should not affect your security clearence in a negative way, they are looking for financial responsibility.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
LENNY0861

LENNY0861 is on a distinguished road

My son was contacted and interviewed this week for a security review as some items on his credit report were not on the security form, They foud some old additional collections in his credit report, they asked him about them, there are no judgements or public records but 6 year old credit card stuff, His job does not need clearnce at AM will this now affect his ship date?
he has been current on all his other stuff including school loans cars etc. but they do show some old unpaid credit cards, that we thought were cleared up but now are not, and they have accrued interest.
LENNY0861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
rocky112

rocky112 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadViking1861 View Post
I'll probably be entering boot camp with about 6500 dollars of debt.
As long as you disclose that you've accrued additional debts in DEP and are current on your payments it'll be fine. Between student loans and credit cards, I've got around $50k in debts, but they're all current and I have no history of collections or repossessions. My monthly payments are also under 40% of my E-3 base pay.

I imagine other CT ratings have to fill out the PSSQ when you talk with a classifier at MEPS. Then you sit there for like ten minutes while they run your information past the security people over the phone.

We had a guy in my station who didn't know he owed $300 to a creditor that had gone into collections and he was declined his TS clearance. It seems even a small amount of undisclosed debt can really burn you. Just be honest and if everything checks out, you're good to go.
rocky112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
jdAECF

jdAECF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky112 View Post
We had a guy in my station who didn't know he owed $300 to a creditor that had gone into collections and he was declined his TS clearance. It seems even a small amount of undisclosed debt can really burn you. Just be honest and if everything checks out, you're good to go.
While in dep, I had a hospital bill shipped out to collections that I didn't know about. I've been in contact with the people who hold the main of my account at said hospital, but apparently radiology is a different accounting department than the main one, so it got sent out. I mentioned it to my recruiter, but he didn't say much about it. Should I make sure that it's on account? My 7 day meeting is next week.
jdAECF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdAECF View Post
While in dep, I had a hospital bill shipped out to collections that I didn't know about. I've been in contact with the people who hold the main of my account at said hospital, but apparently radiology is a different accounting department than the main one, so it got sent out. I mentioned it to my recruiter, but he didn't say much about it. Should I make sure that it's on account? My 7 day meeting is next week.
YES!!!!!!!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debt