NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
saltnhash
**Active Duty**

saltnhash is on a distinguished road
Default Lateral conversion AO/CTN

Well, I finally got everything needed and my package has been sent in. I'm wondering if anyone who has went through said process (lateral conversion)
could give me an idea on a time line for approval.

I'm patient, however its more so information that I can use to plan around detachments and obligations I have to support mission readiness here at my current post- being able to give concise information to the CoC is also a plus, then again that's a given.

I've read up on everything I can on CTN, and to say the least it has me excited- been turning wrenches for four years and its about time to trade them in for a keyboard.

Any information would be helpful, sound advice concerning the JCAC and any tidbits would be nice as well.

V/R

AO3
saltnhash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnhash View Post
Well, I finally got everything needed and my package has been sent in. I'm wondering if anyone who has went through said process (lateral conversion)
could give me an idea on a time line for approval.

I'm patient, however its more so information that I can use to plan around detachments and obligations I have to support mission readiness here at my current post- being able to give concise information to the CoC is also a plus, then again that's a given.

I've read up on everything I can on CTN, and to say the least it has me excited- been turning wrenches for four years and its about time to trade them in for a keyboard.

Any information would be helpful, sound advice concerning the JCAC and any tidbits would be nice as well.

V/R

AO3
AO3,

The package has a looong way to go through all the different organizations. Be patient and give it a least a month or two. A lot of the needed things only happen monthly.

/r
CTT1
Old 05-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
DGladhill

DGladhill is on a distinguished road

The school is long and shoves a lot of information at you in a short amount of time ( like most :P ). You'll be doing lots of extra study, the handful of people I know in JCAC right now do 2-4hrs/day of voluntary study after school hours. Corry Station itself is small and old, not a whole lot to do on base.
Graduated ATT: 20160708

Currently enjoying sunny ole P-cola!
DGladhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
saltnhash
**Active Duty**

Not really concerned with entertaining myself, did that the first time around in Pcola over at the NAS base.

Still awaiting word from PERS, I know it will prob be like until July until I find out what the deal is. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
saltnhash
**Active Duty**

so I got some feedback! Guess I have to do a prescreen SCI with someone, pretty excited. I hope this means I'll be considered for the initial clearance so I can get to school and start soaking in some information. If anyone saw the Quotas yet you'd know the pain for those of a whopping 5% to AO2 hah.

*breaks open some books and boots up a VM*
"Ill have better luck understanding this." I mutter to myself for hours.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
jabONE
**Active Duty**

jabONE is on a distinguished road

Hey so maybe I can be og some help. I was an HN at almost 4 years when I decided to convert over to CTN. I submitted two packages in two consecutive months just outside of my C-Way window so I got denied due to all billets being filled by others in their C-Way window. This was in APR-MAY 2015. I then put one in again in June and got tentative approval pending a Pre-Screen right away for conversion to CTN. I had to fill out the paper SF-86 and send that in which got reviewed. I cannot remember how long it took before I was contacted but I want to say a couple of weeks. I was then contacted for my Pre-Screen which I got approval and then had to submit the electronic SF-86 as well as fingerprints. I then had to wait to hear if I got approval on clearance. All you need is Interim approval to go to school so you do not have to wait the entire time to have a final clearance approval. I did not get this word until about August and once I did, I then had to wait another month or so until I got orders and I actually personally called in September to get orders rather than keep waiting. I then received orders to check in for school at the beginning of November and so I checked out of my command at the end of October. I checked in at Corry the beginning of November and classed up about a week later. I just graduated today.

Be prepared for a long process as far as conversion gors but it is worth it. Study your butt off once you get here because it is not an EASY course. It is not bad if you put the time and effort into studying but there are yimes which will be way more stressful than others and it sucks but you push through and keep learning and make it through. Finally graduating was one of yhe best geelings I have ever had as it was so rewarding to vomolete such a long and tough course.

CTN2 Baron
jabONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
saltnhash
**Active Duty**

Wow thanks man, I;ve already submitted everything. I just did my screening through the phone- I did a lateral conversion, I built up the package myself and sent in the hard copy SF86. I did my prescreen yesterday and sent in fingerprints the same day and the other SF86 over E-qip. sounds like I'm getting close heh.

I know I'm going to have to dedicate myself to this school, and I'm more than happy to do so. If your willing shoot me a PM, and I want to see what I can glean from you if it doesn't compromise OPSEC and the PG 13 I'm sure you signed to be a little ahead of the game, since just like you I'm a good four years behind on these new kids.

Congrats on graduation man, hope to see you in a maximum security office one day.

V/R
AO3
Old 05-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
jabONE
**Active Duty**

Thanks buddy, good luck with your conversion.

CTN2 Baron
Old 05-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
hustini

hustini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabONE View Post
Hey so maybe I can be og some help. I was an HN at almost 4 years when I decided to convert over to CTN. I submitted two packages in two consecutive months just outside of my C-Way window so I got denied due to all billets being filled by others in their C-Way window. This was in APR-MAY 2015. I then put one in again in June and got tentative approval pending a Pre-Screen right away for conversion to CTN. I had to fill out the paper SF-86 and send that in which got reviewed. I cannot remember how long it took before I was contacted but I want to say a couple of weeks. I was then contacted for my Pre-Screen which I got approval and then had to submit the electronic SF-86 as well as fingerprints. I then had to wait to hear if I got approval on clearance. All you need is Interim approval to go to school so you do not have to wait the entire time to have a final clearance approval. I did not get this word until about August and once I did, I then had to wait another month or so until I got orders and I actually personally called in September to get orders rather than keep waiting. I then received orders to check in for school at the beginning of November and so I checked out of my command at the end of October. I checked in at Corry the beginning of November and classed up about a week later. I just graduated today.

Be prepared for a long process as far as conversion gors but it is worth it. Study your butt off once you get here because it is not an EASY course. It is not bad if you put the time and effort into studying but there are yimes which will be way more stressful than others and it sucks but you push through and keep learning and make it through. Finally graduating was one of yhe best geelings I have ever had as it was so rewarding to vomolete such a long and tough course.
Just out of curiosity, what IT certs did you walk away with once you graduated? Thanks
hustini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
jabONE
**Active Duty**

We do not get any certs out of school but there should be plenty of opportunities outside of school to get certs.

CTN2 Baron