NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-17-2016, 05:32 AM   #1
Haydaman712

Haydaman712 is on a distinguished road
Default AIRR and your dream sheet.

Hey guys.

I was originally signed as AIRC in October. However my ship date isn't until this upcoming June so I figured I'd go the extra mile and get my AIRR contract. I've been to a few PST's with a Navy Seal Chief and my progress is solid. I have no doubts I'll have the contract within 2 months. Also since I went to college but chose to go the enlisted route over officer, I'm going to start out an E3 and become an E4 upon graduation of NACCS. (Don't know if this affects anything)

My question to the helo wet guys is this: Does your dream sheet have a higher chance of being fulfilled if you're a special operations rate? I'm aware that your dream sheet has a good chance of not being what you actually get. My dream is to be stationed in Rota, Spain. But does the scarcity of the operators within your rate negatively or positively affect where you're stationed?
Haydaman712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydaman712 View Post
Hey guys.

Also since I went to college but chose to go the enlisted route over officer, I'm going to start out an E3 and become an E4 upon graduation of NACCS. (Don't know if this affects anything)
It won't affect anything other than some extra money going in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydaman712 View Post
My question to the helo wet guys is this: Does your dream sheet have a higher chance of being fulfilled if you're a special operations rate? I'm aware that your dream sheet has a good chance of not being what you actually get. My dream is to be stationed in Rota, Spain. But does the scarcity of the operators within your rate negatively or positively affect where you're stationed?
You're correct that AWR (AIRR) is grouped in with the spec ops guys on the recruiting side (what they call a "challenge" program), but they are not considered part of the Spec War community in the actual fleet. The reason they're grouped together during recruiting is because it's a pretty physical program, so they want to know you can hack it before we spend the several thousands of dollars to try and send you through the school. So no, this will not have anything to do with where you get sent after school.

Rota is a pretty small base that has been drawn down over the last decade (but is being built up a bit by moving a few ships out there). There aren't currently any helo squadrons (or any Navy squadrons) that are currently based at Rota. A couple Air Force AMC birds, but not Navy. Your best bet to get there as a flyer would either be being attached to a ship that ports/stops there on their way to deployment, or using it as a hop point on your way out to deployment (although that's more of us fixed wing guys really).

As an AWR, your best bets for duty stations are gonna be Norfolk, Jacksonville, and San Diego (what we call "Fleet Concentration Areas"). Some other less likely possibilities are Atsugi, Guam, Washington state, and K-bay in Hawaii.

/r
CTT1

*Just for credibility's sake and since you're pretty new, I'm a current Aircrew guy myself. So if you've got more questions, ask away!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
Haydaman712

Haydaman712 is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the info. Not gonna lie I'm pretty bummed about Spain but that's okay!

In terms of Norfolk, Jacksonville, and San Diego...What is the likelihood of each? I'm from PA and being sent to Norfolk would be my last choice.

Also, what about Annapolis? Is there any shot of being placed there on shore duty?
Haydaman712 is offline   Reply With Quote