NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Drew1996

Drew1996 is on a distinguished road
Default Bootcamp Advancement

I head to bootcamp on 20140902 and i start out as an E-1. If i pass my PST and my PQS tests in bootcamp and get promoted to E-2, is it still possible for my RDC's to promote me to E-3?
Drew1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
iMagic10

iMagic10 is on a distinguished road

From my understanding... Yes...
iMagic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
shannoneliz

shannoneliz is on a distinguished road

Yes, make sure you can pass your pfa (and don't just try to scrape by with a sat, aim for higher!) and know your start guide - the questions on that test come out of that. You'll get e-2 as long as you pass both. You can volunteer for a job to try to get to e-3. It is some extra stress and mine caused me to lose precious sleep (yeoman, would not recommend), but if you're trying to get promoted, it's worth it. I've heard laundry PO is the easiest one (plus you get to escape for a little bit into the laundry room).
shannoneliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

It's possible for sure, but don't get too disappointed if it doesn't happen. Sometimes rdcs just pick all their recruit leadership and don't give people a chance to volunteer. I've heard some rdcs don't pick anyone, or pick people who are already e3 too.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Charlize

Charlize is on a distinguished road

While E1to E-2 promotion is up to you, E-2 to E-3 is extremely unpredictable. RDCs promote not only recruits who have leadership positions, but anyone they like.

I would put more effort in A school - a student who is on top of his/her class is promoted to PO. Not sure if you have to take an advancement exam or you are just promoted.
Charlize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

In some a schools they are able to give accelerated advancement to the top 10% of the class. If you receive this you will not be required to take the e4 exam. You will have to wait 4-10 months after arriving at your command before you ca an be frocked. Also, you will get paid right away after frocking and you will be able to take the e5 exam on the next test date.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
In some a schools they are able to give accelerated advancement to the top 10% of the class. If you receive this you will not be required to take the e4 exam. You will have to wait 4-10 months after arriving at your command before you ca an be frocked. Also, you will get paid right away after frocking and you will be able to take the e5 exam on the next test date.
I'm just being nit-picky, but frocking is not the same thing as promotion.

According to the MILPERSMAN: "Frocking is an administrative authorization to assume the title and wear the uniform of a higher paygrade without entitlement to the pay and allowances of that grade."

I believe the word you meant to use was 'promotion.'

If you do well in A school you can be selected for accelerated advancement (meritorious advancement) and 4-10 months after reporting to your first duty station, you'll be promoted to the next rank. Meaning, you'll receive pay, benefits, and be able to wear the insignia.

Additionally, other rates may be different, but I had to wait a minimum of 6 months as an E4 before I was eligible to take the E5 test.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote