NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
YNS_KP

YNS_KP is on a distinguished road
Default Packing for RTC

Hello all! I have a few last minute questions. I just filled out my 7-day recert at my recruiter today. However, I only have one more day before I fly back to NYC (were I enlisted and where I am shipping out from), so I am trying to get all my loose ends tied up with my family in MN.

I am packing a small bag to get me by in NYC, knowing that most of it will be shipped home when I get to RTC. My question is what can my family bring to my graduation that I could take with to A-school. I know I can't bring my cell phone back to RTC after Liberty is over, but I can have it in A-school right? If so, they would mail it to MS for me. What else would have to be mailed to A-school?

Summarized question: I am backing for RTC. I want to make two piles: one for my family to bring to graduation and another to send me to A-school. What goes where?

Thank you!
YNS_KP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

The easiest way to do this is to have your family give you your phone and whatever other stuff you want at the airport.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

I don't think you need to worry about clothes and that sort of thing at A-school, from what I hear you'll be in uniform for a long time before you can wear civvies so you can just go and buy some clothes when that phase of liberty comes. I'm just packing a little backpack right before I leave that my girlfriend can give me at the airport after RTC graduation. Cell phone, Ipad, headphones, a few watches, and maybe some pictures and that's pretty much it.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Phase one liberty can be as short as 1-2 weeks depending on command, so having civvies isn't a bad idea. Also, you are going to want something to wear when you are just lounging around the room.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Mackin1231

Mackin1231 is on a distinguished road

Can I buy a small tv during A school? Gotta stay up to date on my shows lol
Mackin1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
CTTDussault

CTTDussault is on a distinguished road

My advice would be to pack up a box to have shipped to you when you get to A School. The way i happened with me was that we couldn't have anything brought back with us civilian related during grad lib to the compartment. If your parents were still there when you left, they could meet you at the airport to give you your cellphone and a few things if they wanted, but not to bring back with you right after grad lib

You'll be on phase one for about 2 weeks where you'll have to stay in uniform and can't wear civvies anyways, so you'll have time to get your stuff shipped to you before then. So that's my advice
CTTDussault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Charlize

Charlize is on a distinguished road

While at RTC you won't be plowed to bring anything to your compartment. There was even a video about a girl who snicker in a cell phone and went to Capitain's Mast for it.

My husband brought me a suitcase of stuff, but i only took a phone and a laptop at the airpot. You will be traveling with a huge heavy sea bag and garment bag and backpack, plus the orders that you must have on you at all the times. Nobody can really help you since everybody has the same amount of stuff. I would suggest ask your family to mail it to you.
Charlize is offline   Reply With Quote