NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
lfiguero

lfiguero is on a distinguished road
Default AIRR - Plan B options

My son has Air Crew AW contract with a ship date to RTC of 9/277/18. He is REALLY interested in Rescue Swimmer/AIRR. Since MEPS, he was contacted by the area SPECWAR contact that discussed the option to delay current RTC ship date to get in condition for Rescue Swimmer and to get an AIRR Contract. He would instead go to RTC when an 800 Division is being offered. (could be 6 mos. later) During this period, the Navy would work with him to condition through weekly group sessions and conduct monthly PST's to monitor progress. (basically, get him conditioned to make it.) Based on progress, the are SPECWAR person would get him a Tier 1 or Tier AIRR contract. He's scheduled to do PST This thursday to see how far off mark he is, establish a baseline.

My question is... If he doesn't PST qual at RTC 800 Division or Rescue Swimmer school, assuming he'll still be able to be an Aircrewman? Just not Aircrew wet but could be on Fixed wing. (not the end of the world)

I'm confident he'll do OK. The kid's a fish in the water and totally comfortable in the water. Certified SCUBA diver, lifeguard in summer.

Last edited by lfiguero; 05-15-2018 at 12:42 PM.
lfiguero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
APutney

APutney is on a distinguished road

My son is in the same situation. Has contract for Aircrew and is working with SPECWAR to get Rescue Swimmer/AIRR. He took PST and missed by 8 push-ups. He did excellent in all other categories. They are confident that he will make it. He is doing another PST next week. His current ship date is 10/09/18.
APutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:19 AM   #3
bwall0430

bwall0430 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfiguero View Post
My son has Air Crew AW contract with a ship date to RTC of 9/277/18. He is REALLY interested in Rescue Swimmer/AIRR. Since MEPS, he was contacted by the area SPECWAR contact that discussed the option to delay current RTC ship date to get in condition for Rescue Swimmer and to get an AIRR Contract. He would instead go to RTC when an 800 Division is being offered. (could be 6 mos. later) During this period, the Navy would work with him to condition through weekly group sessions and conduct monthly PST's to monitor progress. (basically, get him conditioned to make it.) Based on progress, the are SPECWAR person would get him a Tier 1 or Tier AIRR contract. He's scheduled to do PST This thursday to see how far off mark he is, establish a baseline.

My question is... If he doesn't PST qual at RTC 800 Division or Rescue Swimmer school, assuming he'll still be able to be an Aircrewman? Just not Aircrew wet but could be on Fixed wing. (not the end of the world)

I'm confident he'll do OK. The kid's a fish in the water and totally comfortable in the water. Certified SCUBA diver, lifeguard in summer.
I’m not entirely sure how it would work at RTC, but I’d assume that they’d work with him until he passes the PST. As for RSS, if he gets to Pensacola and can’t complete the PST successfully the odds are that he’ll get rerated.
bwall0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
FutureSailorA

FutureSailorA is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat. Currently awaiting my bootcamp, i am training for a contract as a rescue swimmer. What my SO scout told me is that if you fail the RSS (Rescue Swimmer School) you do NOT have your original rate to fal back on. You will be pretty much undesignated.
FutureSailorA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airr